Tuesday, September 10, 2013

RIP Lucky

This will be a short post to say good bye to my sweety pie puppy Lucky. When I woke up Sunday morning he was dead. I have been so sad for the past couple of days. But big changes are coming up and I want to share them, but I'll do it later today, maybe tonite. This is about Lucky.

I know I wrote about him before. We got him when he was about 3 weeks old-way too young to take from his momma, but I think he lost momma right after birth. He was found in a cardboard box on the side of the road with his brothers & sisters, I think later most of them didn't make it. They came to the center where I teach, and he was so tiny, he just caught my heart. He almost fit in my hand. He was obviously part chihuahua- he had those intense eyeballs, and they kinda protruded from his head like a chihuahua; he look at you from the side cause his eyes could just turn all the way to the side. What else was he?? Hmmm I thought maybe deermouse; his legs to were long for him, but they folded up like a deer in the woods when they lay in the tall grass. And he was soooo soft. I think he was also part coyote with those ears. His ears were bigger than his head, and very pointy, just like a coyote. And he always ate like there was never going to be another speck of food on this earth. He never did learn to take food from your hand "nice", it was always a quick grab, and those teeth were sharp! Last week I gave him a bit from my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and man he got me good! He punctured the top of my finger and the blood poured down my hand, it hurt for days, actually still a little sore ha ha it's keeping Lucky in my mind. His tiny back legs we a little bowed, so maybe part boxer.

His ribs stuck out. We kept feeding him, took him to the vet several times, and the vet gave us vitamin powder, told us what food to give him, but he just stayed skinny. But we loved him, snuggled with him, took him everywhere with us, just like Sam (our big black lab). I took him to the park, the one place around here with grass, that nice thick grass. Sam loved to roll in it; Lucky kinda tiptoed thru it, but enjoyed watching his big brother chase the ball. We took him to the beach, Everardo took him swimming. At first he was scared, but he trusted Poppa and he swam around, always close to Everardo. Then he'd sit on the towel under the umbrella and watch us.

After zumba and Poppi running on the track, we drive home and grab the dogs and take them for a drive. We've been doing it since the end of June when it started getting so hot that during the day it was miserable...even the beach trips were at the end of the day. Anyway we'd take a drive in sort of a big loop, and usually stop at this one little path down to the beach. Sam would run down to the water, and ha ha usually do a big poop. Everardo would make Lucky walk the path, not carry him, and Lucky would march after him. I always swept him up in my arms to carry him back and Everardo would complain to me- that Lucky always made it on his own when I waited in the car, which I did when I was wearing my new tennis shoes and didn't want to get them filled with sand....and in the dark..who knows what else!

At first both dogs slept outside and Sam would bang on the door about 6am to come in, but then started it about 3am...so they started sleeping inside but with the door open a crack so Lucky could get out to poop about 4am which became his custom. He had has kennel outside, and inside a giant stuffed bunny and a towel to sleep on; Sam preferred the cooler tile, but I think Lucky's bones made the floor to hard for him. When we were up, he like to snuggle next to us on the couch. He had funny expressions, cocked his head to ask a question, ran to the kitchen when he heard any food sounds ha ha. But if he was on the couch he was stuck. He never could jump off the couch, when he did, he's always do a face plant; his legs couldn't hold him up. Sometimes if you swept him up real quick, he'd let out a little cry. But mostly he was a happy puppy. When you held him he would just conk out- fast asleep. You could hold him like a baby with his fat tummy sticking up. He would be like a little rag doll and his head would lay one way and his legs another. He would be walking around, and then just plop down wherever he was and be fast asleep. He would find a way to be touching you, and usually have his head propped up, and his eyes would just droop and close. Funny, he was soooo painfully skinny, his ribs showed, the ridge of his backbone, the bones of the top of his legs- hip bones I guess, he was really just a bag of bones, except right after he ate and then he had a puppy tummy- just for a little while, but it always gave me hope...then he'd poop it out and remain his skinny self. We had to be careful not to hug him too tight, and that was hard cause we just wanted to love him up all the time.

His bones never got strong, and even though he seemed to be getting better, then he started to slip. He never played too much, he was content to watch, snuggled in your arms of course. Saturday, his last day, I took them both to the park, then for a long drive. Everardo was still in Coahuila (just got back yesterday). About 10 pm he threw up, but not too bad, and I didn't worry too much. I had given them both Pedialite during the day because of the heat, and I gave him some more. But a couple hours later he puked again so I changed it to water. I put him in his bed and layed on the couch and watched him. He had the dry heaves later, but wouldn't drink any water. I pet him and talked to him, resolved to take him to the vet again, and this time ask for a blood test or something, something more definitive...anyway he went to sleep and seemed ok. At 3am he was ok because Sam wanted out and woke me up; the door was stuck almost closed, but a few hours later, he looked like he was sleeping and I thought good, he needs it poor baby. But then I looked closer, and he was gone.

I took him out to the center, crying the whole time. Claudia, who works with the dogs, was so gentle with him, and promised me to bury him there. I hope he's somewhere playing in the grass, frolicking like he never could here!

What a gift he was in our lives. And if he was going to suffer, if he was always going to be weak, have weak bones and be hurt easily, then maybe it was for the best- sooner than later. Loved that baby puppy.
Love you Lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment