Friday, December 7, 2012

Ok so now I'll go back and tell about the trip up here, and then we'll be all caught up.So day 1 of the trip up started at 0:dark:thirty! We slept on the couch cause we had taken all the sheets off the beds and just had a blanket in the couch. We left in the dark. I had been worried about pulling that heavy trailer up our short, dirt driveway that never got finished before we left. In fact I suspect that it isn't fixed yet...It was Friday Nov 30, so 5 days short of being in Mexico 6 months. Of course it was not cold even though it was 4:30 in the morning, and when I came outside Sam was already in the truck. Poppi said as soon as he pulled it up to the street, and that it was easy cause of course he used the 4 wheel drive I had made a bunch of sandwhiches and had some bananas and apples for the ride. I think it was one tuna fish to use it up, one ham & cheese, one peanut butter and ham, and 4 peanut butter and jellies. Well only some got eaten. By day 2 we were eating tacos for every meal.

My feet were so swollen from bug bites from the nite before I couldn't put on my tennis shoes. We had gone to say good bye to Chela, and I forgot to put the bug oil on. It was the worst time of day for the bugs; right when it was starting to get dark. They were biting her and me. Then Everardo came and they were biting him too, but I was hesitant to leave because this was goodbye. She had become my dear friend. She speaks no English and of course my Spanish is well, getting there, but she and I became close amigas. We could always figure out what we were talking about . So I stayed and got bites all around my ankles and the tops of my feet. And the top of the feet have very think skin, so puffy they looked yucky to say the least! Anywa I slathered on the Caladryl for almost the last time, had to do it a couple times on the way up...but I haven;t used it or the Autan oil since day 2 of the drive up...and I am SOOOO happy. We have our side door open right now so I can get internet off the neighbor (with her permission of course), Everardo's laptop is connecting fine, from the bed, the couch, everywhere, and I have to sit on a chair next to the open door to stay connected. Ah well, and Telmex closed early today (of course) and are closed over the weekend, so I will have to sit by the door all weekend if I wanna be online. Hey could be so much worse! I could be covered in bites and covered with bug spray right now, and I ain't!

So we headed towards Acapulco and then took the cuota (toll road) around the city and headed for Zijuantenejo and Micoacan. We started playing traffic tag with a yellow VW and the little truck that was following it. We see them at tool booths and stop lights in small towns. Everardo actually chatted with them at one of the toll booths when we all got out to pee; they were headed to Guadalajara just like us, but going thru Morelia. We knew from experience this was the long long way so he told them and they changed to our route. Much later in the day we came up on an accident, and the little VW was in a ditch, winshield broken and lots of dents. But the people were ok- miracle eh? However they were stuck in the ditch and their buddies with the truck had no rope....but we did so Everardo helped them out. We never saw them again but at least we helped when it was needed. We used Garmin for directions the whole way and she never let us down. Garmin is a wonderful GPS and I would recommend it to anybody traveling, cause without it we would have been pretty lost finding our way thru some of the towns we went thru.

So in Michocan I saw that cows are not skinny!! They don't eat much in Guerrero; a couple of years ago when I first went there, I had made up a little song for this little girl about vaca flacca (skiny cow) cause all the cows there are so skinny. And when you buy beef in Guerrero; it's sliced so think you can almost see thru it. And it's tough. People don't eat too much beef there. WE had to go to Acapulco to get any bigger or thicker cuts, but even those were tough. Everardo says it's cause they keep the cows around as long as possible to get the milk to sell. Guerrero is one of the poorest states in Mexico. The roads are a mess, potholes and dirt; there are no jobs and there is no money. It's a very difficult life. And that would be me, moving to the extreme...jumping in with both feet and eyes closed. Most of the people I saw there were happy, they did what htey could to take care of their families and they whooped it up at fiesta time. But this is not the life I came from or wanted to live. That's the truth of it, I don't want to work hard to simply exist, I thought it was so romantic to say that in Playa Ventura people fish today to eat today. Well it's not so romantic- it's the hard truth. The people are beautiful and work hard to live. I respect that greatly. But I do not wish to live that life.

Anyway in Michocan there are jobs. People have money, and the cows eat good. There's alot of wood in Michocan. We went thru one town that is famous for the wood furniture they make. And another that is famous for making guitars. That one had a huge statue of a guitar in the middle of town. Both towns were in the mountians, so they had windy little streets and were both very cool. Would have been fun to do some exploring in both of them.

Oh we saw a big tarantula crossing the road when we first hit Michocan, and it was a little while after I saw a dead chicken in the road that had probly been hit by a car. Of course that had me laughing, thinking about the chicken and tarantula I saw fighting a couple of years ago in Marquelia (near Playa Ventura). That time the chicken won. So whenever I saw an animal crossing the street I thought of why did the chicken cross the road...to kick some tarantula ass. Then when I saw the pig crossing the road I wrote on facebook why did the pig cross the road? Cause he thought he could take the tarantula, (after seeing one of those crossing too). Well nobody but me got my joke, but hey I'm even laughing right now....ha ha and that's what my blog was for in the first place, for me.

So we went thru Micoacan and into Jalisco. 3 states for day 1. We stopped on the road to eat bbq'd corn on the cobb and had tacos for dinner (yeah bye bye sandwiches). Sam did great thru the whole trip. He had his bed in the back and it was not hot since we left so early we didn't get caught in the Guerrero heat. Talking about the silly sandwiches, somehow we said picnic basket and Everardo started doing his best Yogi Bear imitation, ha ha it was terrible so I couldn't stop laughing and it became our theme for the trip.We drove 14 or 15 hours on day 1, but did not make it Guadalajara, we stopped about an hour shy of it and stayed in a motel right next to the freeway for about $30USD. Well it had a kickass tub, really big and deep, so while we ate....tacos of course...I filled it up with hot water and had to get in soooo slow. I soaked and imagined 6 months of bug oil that had saturated my skin being lifted out of me. It was glorious.....However-I did say $30 right? Well there were mosquitos and probly fleas and altho I feel asleep right after my lovely soapy hot bath...I woke up in agony!!! Bites and bites!!! Crap!!!! But I happy to report that was the last time. So it was a long day, but a beautiful trip, both Michocan and Jalisco were very green with pine trees and lots of vegetation and prospering towns, and it gave me hope. Ok that's it for day 1. (at least what I can remember)

No comments:

Post a Comment