Monday, April 15, 2013

So this morning I was in a meeting and said I was grateful for the lessons put in front of me since moving to Mexico. Maybe the biggest is patience. You have to accept it or go crazy. Anyway after the meeting I went to the bank to deposit some American dollars so I could withdraw pesos. The stores here give a much lower exchange rate than the bank, so we always deposit dollars. This was never an issue before Everardo started selling things to the tourists on the beach ha ha. We only deal in pesos. But now we have dollars. Anyway- I learned a new lesson. NEVER go to the bank on Monday morning! I lasted 20 minutes in line, patiently waiting, watching a little kid playing off on the side, watching more people come into the bank behind me....and then I looked at my watch. Arrgghh It was 40 minutes before my turn. Patience gone! Anger present and accounted for!

Mexico is a cash business. Monday morning means all the businesses that thrived over the weekend, I am assuming resturants and little shops by the beaches...they all bring the wads of cash they made over the weekend, to the bank first thing Monday morning. I fumed because they do not have a special line or 2 lines for merchant deposits; at least half the people-at least half had bulging bags, you know, the leather zippered bags for money, and so as each went to the window, they were there up to 10 minutes! Did I say aarrrgghhh!!!

And my day gets better...we went to the airport shuttle place to see what time I need to catch it next week for my trip to Calif, and of course it was closed. Everardo called the cell number on the door and the guy will be in tomorrow so we'll go back. But we decided to take a drive up to Sonoyta, the town where the border is and talk to the shuttle office there. It's about an hour north of here; a pretty drive if you like the desert, and I do. We get there and in that office they are very obviously doing some other, on the side business, and not to interested in our questions. Yeah they leave "around" 8 or 8:30...yeah it's "about" 2.5 or maybe 3 hours up to Phoenix....oh and we don't go to the airport, but you can take a taxi from out location- it's close. And believe me, those responses were not in a row, informative, anything more than over the shoulder can't you see I'm busy answers. They are basically the only game in town, so we're stuck unless we want to spend entirely too much money. Did I say aarrgghh?

Ok so that was 2 out of 3...Now tonite we're planning to go to the movies. This will be the third nite in a row we tried to go to this movie. To be fair the first nite we didn't know what was playing or any of the times, we just went down there. The movie we wanted to see didn't start for an hour and a half so we decided to come back the next nite (last nite). We asked the guy if it was playing at the same time and he checked then said yes. So last nite we went down there, at the last minute cause they don't let you go sit in the theater and wait. -I like to get a hot dog, popcorn, and...ice cream (bon bons) and eat while we wait and watch people coming in. Not here. You have to wait until about 5 minutes before the movie is going to start, then they let you walk down the hallway to the screening rooms. So we got there and the guy (the same guy) says, oh that movie started an hour ago, at 7:30pm- you should look up the times on the internet. A little while ago I did just that, and it shows playing at 8:25 every day. Crap I hope it didn't start 15 min ago!
So tonite, we will try it again. This will be number 3 in two ways. Trying to see the movie for the third time, and third thing today with a potential to not turn out so hot- ha ha

I just notcied the tv; the movie Maid in Manhatten is on...I think that's the name- with Jennifer Lopez? Ha ha the title showing on the channel, and in the online tv guide menu, is Sueno de Armor- Dream of Love. This is what always happens. The movie 100 First Dates is called something like New Love, the Tom Hanks movie when he's stranded on the island (ha ha I forget the title) is called something like bad vacation. All last week they showed ads for the movie Gone Baby Gone, the Clint Eastwood movie with Hilary Swank where she's a boxer. I never saw it so was looking forward to it Friday nite at 8pm. Ha ha laughs on me! The commercials were the right movie, but when it started, it was a movie about a baby that was kidnapped.

Gotta love Mexico right? So you never know what's on tv. The regular programs are correctly listed, but the movies, only sometimes. We only get a few channels in English and most are movie channels. Well there is a channel that plays only The Bachelor espisodes (why?) and 3 news station; CNN Int'l, BBC, Bloomberg Money...and oh yeah Fox News. Sometimes I turn on Fox News just to see what the stories are, then I turn to one of the other stories or look online to get the real story. We could pay more and get more staions in English, but so far so good- we're ok, we watch tv mostly in the evenings, and that's usually over our laptops or when Everardo is making jewelry and I am reading or studying for Spanish class...
I'll watch tv in Spanish for short spurts, I keep looking for a novela to watch but none hold my interest so far, but new ones start all the time, not like in the US. Also as my Spanish improves I find I all of a sudden say HEY I understood that!

So I'm making a list of what I want from the US- it's not too long. Long sleeved tshrts for Poppi, extra wide egg noodles, and some little jars of pesto sauce. It's funny what you can't find here....oh and I'm gonna eat sushi! Chinese food (yes they have Chinese food here but none we've liked too much)....hmmm can't think of anything else....

No comments:

Post a Comment