Saturday, June 8, 2013

Thank God it's windy today! It's about 10:30am and the wind is blowing pretty good. Yesterday there was not even a hint of wind and it was soooo hot. Press you down into the ground hot. I had no classes yesterday, and after running around all morning- new windshield for my car (small cracks that will get me a ticket going to the airport in Phoenix), an hour and a half in the immigration office, an AA meeting, and another half hour on the phone with Kaiser (changing my plan) I was home and free for early afternoon. Of course we do have to go back to immigration...hmmm that's 4 times, so again in 3 weeks, and I should get my renewed visa. So a couple of different answers on what comes next. The first lady had said, next year I can apply for citizenship because I'm married to a Mexican National, but the woman yesterday said, oh you have to go down to Hermosillo and start the process there and she didn't know how many years (years?) it took. But she said next year I can apply for permanent residence, which is quicker than if I was not married to Everardo. And I may be able to get Seguro Popular now, or might have to wait for permanent residency....that's something to think about because I'm trying (again) to decide what to do about my U.S. insurance. I did just change to a new plan that's only $281 a month- but I still only go to the doctor once a year...and then as I found out last month, I get billed for going. Such a f**king ripoff! They have doctors here...why not be insured here?

Oh! Now the wind is really blowing, ah nice cool air, I'm liking this...sounds like a "read in the hammock" day. Yesterday when it was so hot early in the afternoon, I went out to my hammock, but it's only in the shade later, by around 3pm.....but but but...the clothes lines are also where the hammock is, so I got creative and clothes pinned towels across 2 clotheslines and made myself some shade! ha ha!! Funny right now the area is in shade, so before about 12:30 and after 3pm it's in shade...
Yesterday I took Sam to the park around 3pm for an hour and he spent most of it rolling in the grass, in the shade of course. I brought my book and found my own shade...then right before we left Everardo called and said to meet him at home and we'd go swimming out at Las Conchas. We previously found a good spot out there, so we headed out. It was low tide but this spot has a break in the rock to wade out. So we floated around and Sam swam and swam and swam, then Everardo had to hold him still so he could float cause he just wouldn't go back to shore without us! We walked out far enough where I was basically on my toes on top of some rocks. The rocks are not sharp; it's this volcanic rock, so from the beach you sort of are walking on this huge shelf. When the tide is out, and we come back in, it's really cool to walk on this shelf, cause it's full of shells and sometimes when you move smaller rocks crabs scurry away. There's places where little pools are left, and it's just so fun to explore. I have become the shell collector. I always think I have enough, but then there's another beautiful one, or interesting one, or perfectly formed one.....you get the picture...

Poor Sam, he still hasn't figured out not to drink the salt water when he's swimming. When he gets out he usually throws up after a little while. Yesterday I noticed he's been eating the berries, swallowing them whole, from the tree in our yard. The problem is I don't think they're berries, more like some little pod...it the tree that's a jasmine tree...the tiny flowers and the scent left a few weeks back, but these little balls are left. Ok this part is kinda gross, but did you ever see a cow lift up his tail and the stuff shoot out- like a projectile? (and it's funny, their tail is always crooked), anyway Sam has that as well. Not the minute he gets out of the water, maybe 15 or 20 minutes, so we know not to go from the water straight to the car ha ha. So he goes both ends, no waiting! But he feels fine. On the way home he is always so happy, head hanging out the car window or in the back of the truck with his face over the side breathing in every smell. The wind blows his lips back and he always looks like he's smiling- well I think he is smiling! He gets home, drinks about 2 gallons of water, gulps down his dinner, and then looks at us expectantly ...ok what's next? I love that silly dog!

Ok fun fact about the Sea of Cortez: The sperm whale is one of the species here:



The Sea of Cortez, also known as the Gulf of California, is a unique corner of the Pacific Ocean. This remarkable young sea is thought to be around five million years old and home to nearly 900 species of fish and the widest variety of whales and dolphins found anywhere on Earth. Some of the greatest changes threatening the world's oceans today can be seen in this stretch of water.

The sperm whale is the world's largest predator and dives deeper than any other mammal - up to depths of over 2,000m. Its call reaches 220 decibels, the loudest made by any creature on Earth, so one of the best methods that scientists use to find these whales is by using underwater directional microphones.
With the largest brain in the animal kingdom, this creature is steeped in mystery. 


Relatively little is known about sperm whales compared to some other whales, so the scientific research into their health and how they contract diseases is crucial to their conservation.
Members of the public should not attempt to snorkel with sperm whales. To be able to film the sequence for Oceans, the team required a scientist present and permission from the government.

ok- viva!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment