Friday, September 6, 2013

Dancing in the rain and the availability of milk

Only in Mexico! I started laughing so hard I couldn't follow the steps. Ok it started like this- they have the free zumba classes in at least 4 different parks here, some at 6:30 like ours, another I know isn't until 8pm. A group in Mexico called DIF sponsored an event via the zumba classes, called a kilo for Penasco.

DIF is roughly translated to Development of the Family- here in Puerto Penasco, they feed the poor, clothe kids in need, support families in trouble- it's a government group. They do alot of fund raising activities, and tonite was part of a 5 week activity, and this was week 2. All the zumba groups come to one of the sites where the classes are held, and everyone is encourage to bring a kilo of food, packaged rice or beans, canned food, etc. Last week they collected 80 kilos of food. There were a bunch of city employees, "important" big wigs who all took the microphone to speak and everybody clapped. Blah blah blah....Same thing this week. But they collected a bunch more food and that's what matters.

Last week I did not enjoy it at all, our group was in the very back, and we couldn't see the instructers- and there were 2 of them- why didn't one come to the back or at least half way. They were all jumpy and smiley- I guess if they came to the back they wouldn't be "seen and appreciated" by the big wigs standing around watching. The other thing was all the women dancing in front of us knew the steps, so we were kinda just stumbling around and trying to follow whoever was right in front of us...
I just started making up my own steps to the music...then I started to have fun.

I wasn't really planning on going tonite but a couple of nites ago our teacher said "oh Teresa can give you a ride" (in Spanish of course)...so I went. Oh and she was supposed to lead 3 numbers tonite so that was another reason to go- support her and know the steps to at least those 3 songs ha ha. It was laid out a little better, long lines of women across so not as many deep, so you could see much better. Anyway after the warm up, during the second song, it starts raining, lightly at first, but by the next song it's pouring! We are getting soaked right to the skin in about 2 minutes, but laughing and we keep on dancing. So then we stand around, in the rain for a few more minutes, the rain starts to let up and we start another song- I think they were trying to cover the player/speakers...why they didn't use the elevated covered patio we were dancing in front of...and then the lightening, and finally the wind starts in. I was wondering if any of the trees near us were going to blow over- yes it was that windy! We keep dancing. I am laughing thru the whole experience. And then for the final blow, the rain stops but the wind increases and the mixture of sand & dirt that starts to hit us is the last straw for the big wigs and people start to scatter. The music stops and it's done. We never got to our teacher's songs...As I turned to head for the truck the sand hitting my face really hurt!

It took me less than 10 minutes to get home and by then it was pouring again, and as I opened the gate in our fence the sides whipped out of my hands and slammed open. I realized the windows were open in the car so I ran into the house to get those keys, and silently thanked God that I had decided to leave the doggys in the house with the fans going cause it was just so hot outside. Sam doesn't like lightening and thunder one bit, and I would hate for him to be alone in it. Yeah Lucky is with him, but he's only 3 months old and Sam barely acknowledges his existence.

I am worried about Lucky, but we have taken him to the vet several times, he eats good, sleeps alot, and his poops look ok. (sorry for that part but we are doing all we can to take care of him) He is growing, no longer fits in my hand, but he remains a bag of bones- his little ribs are always showing. We have dewormed him over 7 over, and now we're giving him powdered vitamins in his food. The vet had us change from dry puppy chow to another brand, but he stays skinny. He turned 3 months old a couple of days ago and I know it's normal for him to sleep alot, and really, this past month in this unbelievable heat, Sam sleeps inside all day, too- oh and me too almost. But he just seems, well, fragile. I think his momma was malnourished and he certainly was; we got him when he was only 3 weeks old and he and his sibling were in a box on the side of the road. Not sure if all of them, but some died. Anyway we give him lots of lovin' and this heat is supposed to left....hmmm...when? Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. He sure is cute, and today it was even hotter so I bought a bottle of coconut flavored electrolytes water and gave them each a bowl and saved a little for me ha ha.

What I would love is some milk! We bought a gallon either Monday or Tuesday morning before Everardo left for Coahuila, and on Wednesday morning it was bad. I knew when I took it out of the fridge- when I opened it I could see cottage cheese like stuff....yuck. I didn't bother to bring it back cause last time Everardo got into an argument with them about it. We found out that some of the stores take deliveries of milk from non refrigerated trucks....and I forget which ones are which. It totally pisses me off- we like to eat cereal at nite sometimes when it's just to hot to think of cooking. We both like milk, but in Mexico it can be a problem. In Playa Ventura the milk was always good- when you could get it. You never knew if the store was gonna have milk, or what store. Even the kid who walked by the house with the pail of milk from his family's cow was inconsistent. I wonder what the milk secret will be in Baja??????

I got an email from the guy with the houses for rent in Punta Banda today, and they're both still available. I think it's just a few miles away from Maneadero and we will for sure at least take a look since the rents are $300 and $250....wow- you know what? We started in Petaluma (Calif), moved down to Playa Ventura, (Guerrero) then up to Puerto Penasco (Sonora), so if we moved to Punta Banda (Baja) we have gone from one P-town to another!! ha ha ha ha

Ok fun fact about Mexico
The Zapotec civilization (600 B.C.-A.D. 800) established great cities along southern Mexico and developed the first writing system in the Americas.

No comments:

Post a Comment