Saturday, June 28, 2014

6 dolphins in 2 days... or 3 on two occasions?

It's Saturday and we are watching a silly movie on tv (Hancock). Everardo now only has Monday & Thursday off so our weekends are changing a little bit. I went today to Ensenada and took our friend Tim with me to the AA meeting. (Tim is Iggy the dog's poppa) Before his job, Saturday was our "go to town" day- ha ha we sound like farmers! But I wanted to go to the meeting to see a couple of friends and hit a grocery store that doesn't have gringo prices ha ha.

Anyway I came back and it was such a beautiful day I decided to do my full workout (weights and dancing on the beach), and the dogs were very happy about that. It was 3pm- yeah it's about 45 min each way to the meeting, then the store...so I left at 11am and got home at 3pm. Takes a big chunk, but then I was afraid I'd lay on the couch, watch a movie...and start snacking....and did I say it was beautiful outside? This morning I took the dogs down to the water and threw the ball in the waves for about 40 minutes so got them pooped out early (yes guilt cause I was leaving them all day). So I just changed and headed for the gym, then the beach. They were happy and ran right back into the water. The red tide was not there today-even though yesterday it was here in full force and the water looks so dark and yucky when it's here. I'm hearing last summer it all summer, every day- so I guess this is good. The other good thing is that even when it is here, like yesterday, I simply walked way down the beach and it ended- so it's not the whole length of the beach.

And it's only in the waves; beyond where the waves develop, the water seems even more aquamarine, like a lighter green for just a band, not too wide, and then back to normal blue or blue green. And the dolphins still come. I am hearing we shouldn't eat and shellfish right now...but that's ok because we don't eat much shellfish. We have started eating more fresh fish however...but I don't think the red tide affects the fish.

On Thursday I saw 3 dolphins playing in the surf, just beyond the wave break. They come in so close, and I don't think I've seen 3 together before, usually just 1 or 2. I can just sit and watch them forever- even though I just see a fin, or a back....sometimes a jump. Then last nite, Friday, just before dark Everardo yelled for me to come out with the binoculars. Again it was 3...but this time they were zooming around in circles, jumping almost all the way out of the water! It was so totally cool!!

Yeah, I look at this little mobile home, this little trailer, all beat up under new paint, floor sagging in places, in 2 places bad enough that we don't walk there...rusty faucets in the bathrooms, but then moments later I walk outside. To my left is the beach and to my right is the estuary and it's winding paths, some more sandy than others. Cactus and spiny bushes...where Hazel runs and jumps, scaring lizards and the occasional rabbit. The squirrels that play this dare devil game and dash across the street in front of cars (I swear they're making bets). The coyotes that howl sometimes at nite, that we see once in a while trotting along the side of the road. Back to the beach side, with the long long stretches of beach in either direction from our place, not too many people; maybe a few more on the weekends, renting one of the houses or another in one of the camps here. Dolphins, seals, sea lions, whales- I have seen them all, up close and personal since we moved to this tiny trailer. I can sit in my chair overlooking the beach and feel such serenity, such peace. I can talk to my higher power, the universe, talk thru anything, and maybe I won't figure it out that minute, but I always feel better. I remember to ask for guidance, for support, and then I simply try to keep my mind open for...for...for inspiration, for intuition. And later, maybe sooner maybe longer, I start to find the answer, the resolution...or at least a baby step. I get all that here. So my tiny beat up house is paradise.

I'll probly see a dolphin tomorrow morning with my coffee. The whales are gone for until maybe November...and maybe the sea lions as well...no- some live here, but many were just here for the "season". I just read an article about Pier 39 in San Francisco where tons of sea lions hang out and bark and beg from the tourists- it's a big thing for people who visit SF to see all the sea lions down at Pier 39. So the article was saying 'where are all the sea lions?' Well the answer was they went south, as far as Mexico to breed. Then the males go back up and are all gone by early July. So I'm thinking maybe Bob the sea lion was from San Francisco. Maybe that's why we had a connection! I'm from that area.....just a few miles north...

So maybe I'll see a seal or a sea lion. Oh and the pelicans are much scarcer now as well. They must migrate down for the winter- there were so many and I fell in love with them. Now just one or two, and sometimes I don't see any for days at a time. Maybe I'll find a really cool shell. We have some that I want to figure out what lived in them. They are a round triangle, some are pretty large, tall, and some are shiny, almost translucent.....

Or maybe I'll just see sailboats, or fishing boats. There are 2 or 3 tankers way out there and have been there going on 2 weeks. 2 are empty..and one is full up with containers. I don't know what they are waiting for. Are they picking up containers? Or fuel? I don't know. Oh and the fishing boat that washed ashore this past weekend finally left yesterday. The guy told us he was drunk and somehow it got loose.....ha ha. He kept waiting for high tides- all week! The yesterday I saw a tractor down there, digging a trench from the boat to the water's edge. I thought- well that is dumb- when the tide comes in that trench will fill up with water....it won't float out. But it wasn't for that- someone brought in a trailer and backed up in that trench and slid the boat onto it. The guy was so laid back, it was kinda funny that he simply sat out there every day....people would come by and chat, of course everyone had advice- nature of the beast....altho not us- at least not until we were out of earshot ha ha.

The weather is so so so much like Petaluma! That's about 40 miles north of San Francisco, where we lived before here. Summer mornings with fog, overcast, then it burns off, or not....But here it is warmer. It was overcast in the morning, burned off, and then started cooling off about 6pm and I found I was cold. However, by cold I mean I put my slippers on- I'm still wearing a tank top. I am certainly the tannest (is that a word or is it "the most tan"?) I have ever been and I'm not trying. In fact I am using sunscreen number 50! I usually walk pretty early in the morning before it's very hot, but still....ok I was thinking something funny about the sunscreen- and I'm sure it's not true: I can just see the store with a huge vat of "cream" and then plastic tubes and bottle of body lotion, lotion for extra dry skin, lotion with "aloe" or "vitamin E" or something, and sunscreen for numbers 5, 10, 15, 25, 30, 40, 50.....and they just fill everything up from the same vat...slap different prices on different items....Remember that stuff your mom put on your nose that was bright white and didn't wash off when you went in the pool? I guess sunscreen has come a long way. I will say this- the only day I got any sunburn was the first day I stayed outside all day with Bob the sea lion and had no sunscreen on- hmmm ok so I guess maybe it is what it says it is. And I didn't mean that funny thing because it's Mexico- I mean that anywhere.   

ok enough for now. Bastante.

No comments:

Post a Comment