Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I AM SO EXCITED! My daughters are coming to visit next week. Only for a few days, Wed-Sat, but they both have work and school, so you know what? I will take what I can get!! The tickets are soooo much cheaper coming here- actually they will fly from Oakland Ca to Phoenix Ariz and I'll pick them up at the airport, then we'll drive down here. Yipee. Oh and day 2 of elliptical..feels so good, but ouch ouch is so hard to start back!! But maybe if I write about it I will guilt myself into staying with it!

This morning we were laughing about how we went from sweating to freezing - it's all about the timing isn't it?? If we would have waited to come here until Feb or March we would have gone from hot to warming up...but we (ok I) was so ready to leave that place that we went a soon as we were packed. And actually now that I've written that, it wasn't just me- he was ready to go as well- I remember sitting in the water and him saying, in an exhausted voice- let's just get the HELL out of here. My poor hubby and the project house! Well maybe another good thing is to be here when it's quiet, cause I guess come March/April it's gonna get busy busy until next Oct, and I hear the middle of the summer is unbearably hot- Wait ha ha I already know how to survive in unbearably hot ha ha. So our thought process was to be in Playa Ventura thru the rainy seaso (the hard part) and then enjoy the good part...ha ha. Now we've come here, starting again with the "hard part" and moving towards the good part-hmmm ha ha again. But the truth is, we moved when we were ready to go.

But I do feel different here, hopefully it's not the newness. But I feel more, maybe, plugged in? Well the AA meetings in English are good, I go 4 or 5 times a week, and I really like most of the people; it's a pretty small group during "non season", and I don't dislike anyone, but I really really like a couple...One lady is here visitng for a week;her hubby is in the group, they both are- like us- but she has recently moved to Phoenix- or Tuscon (not sure) I think to take care of a family memeber; I'm really not too sure exactly what the deal is- anyway I really like her and hope to get t know her better. I go to some Spanish meetings as well; last nite we went to one I really liked and will go back with him when he goes to that one. He's kinda sticking to the Spanish speaking and to NA, so we both get our own laces to deal with our own stuff, and then sometimes we both go, to both....confused- ha ha I am. I like the community; today we went to the beach for Sam to run, then over to the docks and bought some fish, a ton of it for about $8...so ha ha we buy fresh fish and then freeze most of it. And we still have a ton of shrimp- well my daughters will love the shrimp- not sure about the fish. I try to speak Spanish in all the stores and to say hi to my neighbors, I guess maybe the big change is for me that I am not feeling so isolated. I also feel a little more confident driving here, still cautious, but not like in Guerrero ha ha! In the stores everybody speaks Spanish, altho' in Sam's Club there is a couple of people who speak some English. I prefer to try...

A guy I originally met on the Puerto Penasco forum was looking for a small place to live as he is about to takeoff in his RV to explore Mexico for a few years. Since he had been communicating with me when I was asking for info before we got here, I wrote and told him about the small studio here. He came to take a look but didn't like it (good we like having the property to ourselves). Anyway he lives in an American area, and we do not. He said this place is not Mexico and not the US- that it's the wild west. I think this place is what you make, but also probly has to do with where you live. There's Las Conchas, that is these million dollar (at least) estates, there are some trailer parks, some perm RV parks, camping and tranit rv parks. Then there is the gov't housing (I forget what it's called but I saw inside one of them...like that old song-' little boxes without top-es...and they all look just the same..' and there are rows and rows of them in a couple pf places. Us- we live in El Centro, in a Mexican neighborhood, everybody speaks Spanish and there are24/7 garage sales (well clothes hanging on the fences, and everything you can think of is for sale if you look. There are tons and tons of hole-in-the-wall taco joints & trucks, longo burros- yum! and anything thing else you can think of. And the hot dog stands! They are everywhere, too. Anyway my neighborhood is pretty quiet, the house across the street has the parrots, there's an old couple down the road a couple of houses who sit outside in the morning sun, and the bread truck- well it's a car- plays this really loud little song that has the words pan pan pan for most of it. He has breads and cookies, and you can buy water everywhere, too-  mean the big jugs. That's one thing we need, a dispenser for the jugs. Anyway- my point is I do not experience chaos in out neighborhood, it feels kinda...typical. I don't know, maybe when this plae fills up for those 7-8 months it gets a little wacky- I'll have to get back to you on that.

I know that this week the malecon has been very busy, no parking, lots of people walking, much busier than since we've been here. People on vacation- so will they be gone next week? I don't know. But I do feel more comfortable here. I think the other problem down there was that the whole town was related - or in one of two families- almost everyone...and living in a tiny place like that, well there was a lot of soap opera going on. And not being able to speak well enough to gossip with anyone except Chela, I was just not in the know ha ha. Too much back biting, double looks, cold politeness, and most of the time I didn't know why. This place- well Everardo knows a few people, but not too many, and it's much much more populated. And even though we own that house; I am more comfortable in this one. I don't hate how the bed fits! This couch is so much better than the outdoor furniture we had...uh..duh..and of course the whole hot water thing.

Yeah you don't need hot water to survive- but I have decided I want it. I also do not choose to live so remotely full time. For a vacation, fine, a little solitude is good- but not all the time. So I learned alot about myself, what I want, need, care and don't care about. So I wonder what lessons I'll learn here?? Oh- and I think next Monday I'm going with Rich and Anda out to San Rafael to see what/how they are involved and hopefully it will be a place that I can be of service. I told her today about my materials for teaching English to little ones, she thought that might be a great idea, so we'll see. And I also want to attend some of those lectures at the CEDO conservatory...oh maybe Halla will be interested in that place..Anyway the last couple of days I have been feeling good, like a feling of well being, that maybe this is the right place. No it's not down deep in Mexico, not the cultural area. blah blah blah, but maybe it's the place for us. I have visited alot of areas in Mexico, and Everardo has family in Morelia so who knows, we have vacations, or maybe we decide to move again, I just don't want to say anything absolute, cause look at what happened in basically less than 6 months in Guerrero- luckily we realzed we have options and so we made a new choice. hey- at least I did it. MOved to another country, and hey- started somewhere remote, no expats anywhere, almost no English, and which days do we have internet, or lights, or tv, and zero hot water-ever...some days finding milk was hard, or driving to the next town to find an atm with no money in it...ok ok..I tried it and now I'm trying something else. (we might have to break dow and paint in here though on our wn dime if we're gonna stay at least a year in this house...and it would make a huge difference...right now it's the principle of the thing- she should be paying for at least the paint..maybe we could ask her to go in halves...)

Did I say I am SO excited my daughters are coming next wknd? Yeah and for about $175 per person instead of $750..couple of hours flight instead of all day....one of the biggest things I figured out is I ned to be near my children..ha ha Poppi knew, but he let me figure it out for myself.. We will probly move back in a couple of years...unless of course they both move here...hmmmmm

 

No comments:

Post a Comment