Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It's Tuesday and the holiday weekend went pretty well for Everardo selling his wares at the beach. He had to come home each nite and make more spiders, which everyone is buying, as well as earrings. He's really getting good at the earrings; now he makes them all instead of buying a few pairs and making a few. He gave me a pair with tiny cancer ribbons that have the word "hope" inscribed on them. Hope! Hey it's everywhere & I thought it was very cool to get a pair like that! There were stilla few people here today, but it's winding down, now we'll wait to see if school getting out will bring a fresh group. Rent and everything else is paid for...nice. Oh so he has to get a hold of the lady who's going to move into the Guerrero house om the 1st- which is this Saturday already! We need to give them our bank account number, and there's also something about taking the internet box back and having it re-issued to them...not sure why it can't happen when the guy comes out, but in Mexico, you will stay sane longer if you stop asking why after the 10 thousandth time ha ha.

So we talked about our credit card bill and decided that paying it off is the best idea, otherwise we will have given them soooo much money in interest, cause with small payments it's gonna be years to pay it off. So we decided we will take the tax free money and pay off that card, give some to Everardo for buying silver, and sending Drewy & Rex some to help pay for their wedding. There will be a little left over that we'll put in our interest bearing savings account. It's the right thing to do. Together he and I are pretty good at not spending, ha ha I can live on beans & tortillas and peanut butter sandwiches. Everardo is a much better eater than me. We went to the store today and spent almost all our time in the produce department. I had a bowl of veges for dinner when I got home from the center- in between 2 Spanish classes ha ha. One at the center and the second at the Canadian's house. Not sure if I mentioned them; they are a couple my gal pal Pam introduced me too, who take Spanish on Tuesday nites. I need more than one nite a week, and so am also taking classes from the same teacher out at the center Tue & Thur, with Karen and Mark (the directors out there). This teacher has a different style, so far it's ok, I like it..we'll see how it goes. I can always go back to Isabel if I want to, but I plan to give this at least a couple of months before making any judgemet. I have learned something new at every class so far, but I'm also a bit ahead of the other students, but in a couple of cases, it may be not ahead, maybe parallel or simply different, so again, we'll see.

This is such an interesting place. I saw a house that was half camper shell with a washing machine in front of it, and today saw a place where some of the walls were doors lined up next to each other. I also saw a place that seems to be partially made of cardboard- so what happens when it rains? of course I don't see any rain on the horizon or in the forecast...people here are very resourceful. It seems like there have been alot of what I call refugees coming by, or maybe I am just more aware. These are people from Central and/or South America who cross thru Mexico on their way north, to the US and/or Canada. I have been hearing stories about how horrendous they are treated when they cross into Mexico; the violence, robbery, rape, ect. Tonite my Spanish teacher commented that the Mexican Gov't is trying to improve the situation. I guess a few years back there was a movie about it, maybe call "La Bestia", but I may be mixing that up with a movie about crossing into the States. Everardo sometimes gives these guys food, more often food than money- they look, they are- hungry. And what they have ahead of them is no picnic either. A friend referred to Puerto Penasco as the armpit of Mexico the other day, and followed with she was very happy to be here ha ha. But it is a hard place. At the center, where they feed up to 100 people a day for lunch; for some of them it's the only meal they will have today. It's pretty humbling. Then all the refugees, all the kids, it's just alot.

Hmm my head is jumping around today ha ha. People place and things. All things I have no control over, all invitations on how to behave. Well I hope volunteering at the center helps my behavior.Oh I also met a lady across the street with a little girl. I told Everardo and he thinks she must have just moved in, and I can't really remember ever seeing anyone at that house, but I do remember a car driving behind it. Anyway I introduced myself; it was really Sam who got us noticed- the girl, Dioda I think, told she's 4 yrs old and she liked Sam. Excitedly called to her mom to come see hm chase the ball in our street. All of this was in Spanish so yipee more practice. I really can "survive" here with my Spanish, but I want to LIVE! And we actually had a conversation the mom and me, and I mostly knew what we were talking about...mostly. So that would be nice to have someone to say hi to, maybe make friends with. Her brother showed up while we were chatting so I assume he lives nearby. Anyway I'll get Everardo to get the scoop. He's so social anyway, he'll probly know them really good by the end of the week ha ha.

Well I was looking at our yard and thinking it's not so bad. Yeah not too much greenery, but maybe if we could get a couple of big pots and plant something in them. Arrange the the back corner here with a couple of chairs and and and...wait for it...get my hammock up! It's been 6 months I've been waiting! Actually on Sunday Poppi was talking about putting in some kind of post cause he says the tree is about a million years old and he thinks it might crack in two if we attach a hammock...but I said ok, but let's just wait a little...and he said- oh God you still want to see that house! Yeah I do, but after writing about it the other day, I drove by again. I'm not sure the yard is any better than this one. I'm not sure there's a door near the living room we could keep open with a screen door to have the best air, I'm not sure the interior layout....well anyway..this place is starting to look pretty good. And I'm comfortable here, and not nervous at all. So again, yeah I want to see it, but kinda just to see and let go, you know? And in fact there are so many cute houses around here, don't know if any are for rent or for how much....but that other house is not our only choice. And this one is already painted so cute...and we know what the problems are...and it's big enough for us. We just have to see if there's a sewer problem (meaning smell) when it gets really hot, but Everardo may have fixed that already. So we'll see....

Did I say this lately? Life is good. I have my children and my husband and my dog. I am suddenly pretty busy with teaching classes 4 days a week, and taking 3 classes a week. Oh I hurt my foot yesterday when I decided to get right back into the walking swing. Yep had to push it and hurt my knee and my foot. But that's ok, not real damage, I just need to take it more slowly, and I might not walk this week. I wasn't walking towards something, the walking is the goal. The process is the goal. Man when I can remember to think like that, my life is good. I like to be busy. Hopefully my older daughter and her prometido (finac'e) are coming over 4th of July....If they can't, it's ok I'll see them again soon enough. I want them to come here so they can see Everardo, and I know he wants to see them, too. But we will do whatever is the next right thing. Viva!




No comments:

Post a Comment