Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 2 of the US holiday weekend, Everardo left a little after 9am, hopeful for another good day. It's really windy outside, but even with the wind it's still pretty warm so I'm betting the beaches will be packed. Especially with the drinking I saw going on yesterday morning- who feels the wind haha! I, on the other hand am sitting inside, windows and screen door open, just picked out a new book to read, and was looking at my blog posts from when we moved here 6 months ago to see what I said about that other house. I'll probly take Sam down to the beach or the park in a little while to play ball, but not too much cause I'm still worried about his foot. Now I don't think anything's in it...maybe he just hurt it running on the track....but after a while of running he starts to limp a little and favor that foot.
I do not want to skip the track tonite however. It always feels better when I exercise, even walking, and I think maybe that walking for an hour may be better than 30 min of elliptical...the truth is I'm going to do what I enjoy. And right now that's the track in the evening. I like the atmosphere, the people, the soccer games, the peewees practicing...I don't really talk to anybody, but I still feel part of it. Lots of people walk or jog alone, and some seem to be walking as a family. This is a side of Penasco I haven't seen yet, and I like it. People of all ages, doing the same or different things, all over these fields, and there's SO many of them. I've only seen one other person who looked like an American out there; an older lady running- ok older than me ha ha. But you know the gyms we see, never have anyone in them, or just one or two - nobody can afford it; so I guess this is a good way to get some exercise- free. Mexico is so all about families and I like that too. The peewee practices always have lots of parents and the games are packed with spectators. Like I said some of the walkers on the track are families. It's nice.

This morning I woke up missing my children so much. It was overwhelming, crushing, like a wave. I didn't tell Everardo because he will try to fix it. He'll tell me to go for another visit, or ask me if I want to move back. I know he's happy here, and I know this will pass, so I'm working thru it here. of course my pea brain goes from one extreme to the other. I wonder if someday I'll be so sorry I missed these years living near my daughters, and then I remember- duh- they're grown up. And if I'm going to be gone for a few years, then better while their in their 20's, before grandchildren, while they are getting themselves settled. I have a fantastic relationship with Drewy, and staying with her for 2 weeks showed me this is true. I adore her, the way she looks at life, how passionate she is about everything- so determined- she is a force to be reckoned with! And Halla, so strong, so loyal, and also- so passionate. I hope she goes thru with her idea to travel and work/live on these organic farms in 3rd world countries. I love that she cares about the environment and wants to be part of the solution. My daughters are so alike and sooooo different, and I love that about both of them. Am I missing it? I don't think so. I can talk on the phone, skype, and most often facebook chat. Well chat and phone- thank God for magic jack! But right now I wish they were down the street! I don't even have to live in Petaluma, after all Drewy is in the next town, we could live there. I know Poppi will go back whenever I say I want to, but is that fair? And really, do I want to? I love working out at the center, and I really really want to become fluent. This is an adventure, and maybe I'm thinking about it cause we're coming up on a year. And maybe in a few months, when the tourists are gone, we'll take a trip down to Playa Ventura. I'd also love for Everardo to see the pyramids in Mexico- there are some close to Mexico City. I want us to go visit his older brother Arnulfo. He has been talking to him on the phone and to his nieces & nephews on FB- yeah, I think we should do that trip first. Maybe at the end of the summer when I hear it's unbearable hot here, and not too many vacationers. Ooh that's a good idea!
And they are in or near Juarez, which is on the Texas border, but you can't drive straight across from here; there's a mountain range- you have to drive south and then across and then back up north- another adventure. (and I hear driving thru those mountains is not safe at all...cartel stuff..so we wouldn't even consider it). And we have felt safe everywhere we've driven so far, just need to stick to the cuotas (toll roads) when we can and busy highways when we can't. And when we go back then to Playa Ventura we can go back thru Michoacan and see his sister and other brother Pablo. Yeah, why not a couple of years about his family? Oh and speaking of his family; Elena might get to come and visit us this summer! Maybe even with Drew for 4th of July, although that will be here sooner than we think, so maybe not. But maybe she'll come with her mother...that would be fine too, since I met Kelly I like her and I know Everardo would love to show them both around. See lots of plans for the future here. And non of them are forever. I think another year for sure. Then we can think about it again. We still need to get Poppi a visa so he can come and go to the US. Next year Drewy is getting married and we won't miss that! Halla will turn 21 (oh my God does that make me old ha ha?). They both have wonderful futures ahead of them. Drewy goes on day shift next week I think- good for her, but man I will SO miss chatting with her at nite! But she needs a day shift, she needs a different job, unless the company that bought hers really does make changes. Life goes on doesn't it? So i hope my kids don't think I'm being selfish going off on this Mexican adventure, I hope they are happy for me, because it's something I wanted to do for a long long time, early on it was simply to travel, then to live in another country...and I'm doing it. If we go back in a couple of years, they will still be young women and I hope while I'm down here, they will want to come often, and explore, experience, all that. I know Poppi wants me to visit them whenever I miss them, but honestly I was just there, and writing about it makes me feel better.

Ha ha now I'm just thinking about that other house again! I read what I wrote in Dec when we saw it, and I said the fridge was gross (no prob we have one), and it was dirty. That the backyard was all overgrown...ha ha I've been living with a dirt backyard (ok side yard) for almost 6 months...and overgrown doesn't sound too bad. I did however write there was a problem with the floor in a spot though, and I wonder how that looks after 6 months- the thing is though- it's still empty. Oh and I wrote that the fence was 2 inches from the door! ha ha, Like I said, I drove by yesterday and there's a front porch and then the fence....but I am SO selfish. I am thinking that we could get a little money out of our savings- that I have been saying all along- NO we're not touching it- and let Everardo go to Taxco like he wants to, to buy some silver, and see how it works out for him- he's been trying different things and it's been working out pretty good. But the truth is a little part of me is thinking that he'll be more open to looking at the other house-arrghh I am awful! But I have been thinking that maybe I'm too stiff about the money- I mean I have been wanting us to live only on what we can make, and that's basically him since I volunteer...and I am now looking to see if I can make any money with my blog- but really? get paid to write in my diary? Ha ha I don't think it will be too lucrative. Especially now that we live in this 'very civilized' area ha ha where not too much happens out of the ordinary...no tarantulas fighting chickens and nobody taking their pig for a walk! The poverty here is heart breaking, and the only thing I know to do is the volunteering I am doing to maybe help someone to help themselves, and maybe more will show itself to me working with Karen and Mark out there- I mean more that I can do to help my community. But not sure anybody wants to read about my thoughts..actually I'm really surprised how many people do! So Everardo brings home any money we have, and believe me he works hard for it, walking up and down the beaches every day.

And that is turning out to be not every day at this point- more like Friday-Mon. That's when the people, the tourists are here. He also might be able to make a little money working with the center by helping out with the dog ministry. There are people that really want to help with the dog problems in Mexico. I think they get donations from the states and from within Mexico. And he can hand out these cards that if the people will get their dog fixed (spayed or neutered), it will be free when they present that card. Then the vet turns the card into the pet ministry to get paid. Everardo will make a few pesos off each card turned in with his name on it- I think that's how it works. He speaks the language and can help to educate people. Did you know 85% of the dogs in Mexico have sexually transmitted diseases? That there are so many stray dogs! There are other statistics for him to know and let people know about, for the safety and health of their pets. He can also make a little money helping with the dogs that are brought out to the center, taking them to the vet, taking them up to the shelter that takes them to the states for adoption, other things. Well doesn't that make my sweet husband a busy boy? He's going out to the center next week to see if he can work for Karen maybe Tue-Wed-Th. So he'll be busy every day. Me, I have 4 days a week in the afternoons, plus my own Spanish lessons. Oh and I have a new teacher- just had 2 classes with her cause she was sick last week, but looking forward to that and it's sooooo much cheaper.

So maybe we should spend a little for Poppi to try out what he wants to do as well, eh? I have certainly gotten to try everything I wanted to.... he's had some time to see what works and what doesn't, in fact right now he's selling alot of the stuff he's making himself- earring and the spiders are really selling! Did I say he works hard? He does; and he's such a good man. I am so grateful that he and I are who we are. Hey don't know about anyone who's reading this- but I feel so much better now! Yeah I still miss my kids, but I can call them..right now. Viva!


No comments:

Post a Comment