Monday, July 15, 2013

Visitors from Everardo's side of the family

Everardo's cousin Anna and her husband Carlos showed up today! Surprise! She's really more his sister than his cousin, they grew up together since he was pretty young since he was an orphan at age 9. I really like them and Poppi is so happy they're here. They got a hotel and we are just back from dinner with them. We'll meet up again around noon tomorrow and she wants camarones coco (the big shrimp in coconut) and we;ll show them around the different neighborhoods, the rich people mansions along the beach, the beaches we like best, etc. They haven't been here before but suddenly decided to make the trip to see us and to gauge the time it takes and the best way to bring Everardo's aunt & uncle. As it turns out his uncle really wants to see him, and at this point we have no idea if Everardo will ever get a visa to go back to the states.

He tells me that Anna & Carlos make trips like this all the time. They were in Tecate 2 weeks ago. They live in Salinas, about an hour south of San Francisco Calif, and they made it here in 11 hours. That was a long hard, fast drive, though. They pulled off the side of the road before they crossed the border and slept for 2 hours. ouch. Anyway they come down to Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali often, I think they go to Las Vegas as well so apparently they like road trips ha ha! They got here late morning this morning and we met them at an outside restaurant in the afternoon, then they went back to the hotel to rest and we got back together for dinner. We walked on the malecon and watched the sun go down over the water while sitting in the plaza, and it was nice. We watched the kids playing and the vendors, and the other people strolling thru like we were and everybody talked & talked. It was mostly in Spanish.

I think I'm at a frustrating edge....it didn't sound like...blah blah blah bladdy blah. It sounded like words and I understood alot of them, but missed important things, like maybe I heard those guys, blah blah and we put the flowers on top- so I thought it was about seeing friends and buying flowers when it was we'll plant flowers on the dirt where we bury these guys after we kill the bastards. Ok maybe a bad example, but I just meant that missing a couple of key words or phrases really changes things....So I missed alot of the conversation, but watching my sweet hubby laughing and talking, his eyes bright with excitement and love, well, it was nice- no it was great!

I talked to my daughter on the phone this morning and she seems to be doing ok with the whole getting laid off thing. We talked about her coming down and she agreed saying she could apply for jobs from our living room couch as easily as from up there. Later I talked to Everardo about if she came for 2 or 3 weeks, we could take a trip south and show her where we lived in Playa Ventura. That would be a cool adventure for her and for us. So vamos a ver (we'll see). I chatted on FB with my younger daughter (age 20) and that was a little more disappointing. I have to keep remembering that age 20 is a selfish self centered age and she will grow out of it.

2 weeks ago I had asked her about going to school next semester and she needed some money to pay off last semester and get signed up- and she needed it NOW to get the classes she needed. I jumped thru a couple of hoops and anx'ted over it (yes my fault), and ended up sending a check to Drew to give to her since we were sending Drew some money towards her wedding fund anyway. Well she didn't try to contact Drew for 2 weeks! Which really pissed me off because I took her at her word that she needed the money right that minute. I kinda wrote that to her today and she has not replied. My expectations again. I hope to hear from her tomorrow. I don't want to be at odds with my kid anytime, and really don't want to be at odds with her long distance. She has trusted me with some important feelings about herself and her lifestyle and that's a gift to me. But it's been months now, and I want her to share it with her sister. The same day we discussed her needing this school money she told me all her friends knew and her coworkers, and then I really stressed she needs to talk to her sister. She said she would, but will she? She sent me a msg today to say she "texted" Drew and Drew ignored it and she wants the money...and I wrote back and said if you talked to your sister you'd know she just lost her job...and a friend who was in a horrible accident died this morning. That she should call her- not just text...but that's part of the msg where I said I was disappointed in her actions, and so I got no repsonse. Drew will call her in the morning, so we'll see what comes next. Just me complaining about my kids I guess.

How did I start that? I was talking about Drew coming to visit and going to Playa Ventura. And Everardo's family being here. And that now they've come once, we'll see more of them. Another couple we are friends with also wrote to us today and we're hoping they'll come down. They helped me with my messed up dr appt and being all groggy after; she took me home, put me to bed, then feed me and made sure I was ok before I went home. Good friends.

Oh and I googled that Pipe Organ cactus- it's very sensitive to frost- so I'm still guessing to humidity as well. Not sure it gets frosty here in winter but it was pretty cold in Dec & Jan. I also heard they grow along the road south to Caborca as well, but the Sonoran desert is the only place on earth that they grow- so that's kinda cool, I'm glad I noticed them. They also bloom with a flower and a fruit, but from about Oct thru May...so ha ha I just missed it, but will be watching in a few months. A friend told me his wife loves the fruit, that's it's very juicy, so it must be a help to anyone trying to survive in this huge desert.

Looking forward to tomorrow to meet back up with Anna and Carlos; and my nephew Francisco already says next time he's coming!

Ok Mexico fun fact:
The border between Mexico and the United States is the second largest border in the world (only the U.S.-Canadian border is longer).

No comments:

Post a Comment