Tuesday, August 27, 2013

It's just so hot!

I can't believe it's actually getting hotter. Walking to the washing machine across the yard has me dripping with sweat. The streets don't have too many people on them, and I understand, I just want to stay in the house with the curtains closed to keep out the heat, and all our fans going.

Sunday we went for a drive, not really to escape the heat, but to do something in it. It's too hot to go to the beach, and the water is so warm it's not really too refreshing, and lately has had so much crap it it; sticks and algae, stuff like sawdust, I think because of the passing storms. It only rained here a tiny bit thru the weekend even though weather channels and websites said we'd be hit hard. I was looking forward to it because I also read it would cool down up to 10 degrees. But- no way. So we took a drive, heading south towards Caborca but then veered left instead of right to head for Desemboque. We left the house at 2pm, and so once we took the Desemboque road we started wondering how far it really was. I looked it up later after we got back home and it's says it's almost 7 hours!

Well after about a half hour we started thinking maybe we should undertake this adventure another day when we leave really early and/or want to spend the night, so we turned back and headed for Caborca. Well I just looked that up and it's almost 3 hours from here, but it was fun driving along the roads. One part we had been on when we moved up here, but at the end of 3 days of 12-15 hour driving days and we just wanted to get here, so I didn't remember too much. It's still desert, but much more beautiful than here- much more green and lush. Hmm using the word lush to describe the desert, but it was pretty, lots of different plants, trees and bushes, and lots of huge rock formations- and I love rocks.

Ok Mexico fun fact:
 Mexico’s flag is made up three vertical stripes. The left green stripe stand for hope, the middle white stripe represents purity, and the right red stripe represents the blood of the Mexican people. The picture of an eagle eating a snake is based on an Aztec legend.

There was also agriculture in some places; I don't know if they had to bring in better soil, but the ground isn't as sandy as it is here, much more dirt. So we saw fields of asparagus, lemons, and grapes. Olive trees, fields of them. It made me think of coming up thru Sinaloa- which I always thought- oh the drug cartels! But what we saw was agriculture- field after field of strawberries, avacados, asparagus, lots of veggies. So all in all it was a nice ride. When we finally hit Caborca we were really hot and tired, and so we really just drove thru the outskirts to head back home. We came down a side road and there was a small checkpoint. Just 2 cops; a man and a woman. She asked if we had any alcohol. We said no, then the guy told Everardo after we asked for directions towards Sonoyta, don't stop for anyone who tries to pull you over- we are the only ones. Wow- we thought he meant on the highway, but we drove down a couple of more streets until we found the highway, and it was a brand new road. Beautiful and paved, with the "chicken lane"; meaning cars would pull over to the right where there is a dotted line so they were half in the lane and half on the side, then you pass them in the middle which is the same passing lane for those going the other way. But we didn't encounter much traffic (the heat remember), and so we followed this road to Sonoyta and then turned south back down to Puerto Penasco.

So we did a big desert circle. If we had been in a more agricultural center, we would have made a crop circle ha ha! So our little drive turned into 5 hours! One nice thing though, as we headed out of Sonoyta, there was a family with 7 little kids, and they plus momma and poppa jumped in the back of the truck and rode with us all the way home. They lived out in San Rafael, in a little blue house with Dora the Explorer painted on it. (cute). It was nice to be able to help somebody out, right?

Well the next day-yesterday (Monday) I had grudgingly agreed to go with my friend Deb to Phoenix to help her friend Sue pick up a car. We had all been talking about driving back alone on that drive and how it sucked cause you get so tired on that round trip- that I had just done taking my daughters to the airport. So when she asked me, I couldn't say no. We went up with her friend and then Deb didn't want to drive back alone. I said yes cause she said we'd go early and just come right back so be back early afternoon. Arrgghh she picked me up at 5:45...AM! Well I brought a pillow and slept in the back part of the way up. Then there were some "issues" with picking up the car, $$ issues which I stayed out of, but ended up not getting home until about 6PM! Oh wait- it was 6:15 cause she said- see you can still make it to zumba!! Yeah...not!

But Everardo had made a nice dinner of carne asada and beans and I added some of the extra sharp cheese I bought in Phoenix, so it was goood.

So the other fun thing I did over the weekend, was get Rosetta Stone put on this new/used laptop. Karen emailed me and she did have the activation card in her wallet so she gave me the number. Oooops one problema! The license is only good for 2 seats- meaning you can only install it on 2 computers. And it was already on my crashed laptop. So I finally got someone from India on live chat, told them I was Karen and after quite some conversation, got him to open another seat. So I am back up and running. When I get my laptop fixed, I'll de-activate it on this one so she'll still have 2 seats available. I sent her an email and told her I impersonated her ha ha, I hope she sees it as "ha ha" as well. But man when it's so hot day and nite, little frustrations become big ones.

Last nite, since I missed zumba it was only natural to crave ice cream, and when we went down to the malecon to get some; Everardo back into a really big (tall) truck with my car and made a huge dent in my trunk, and cracked the tail light. Didn't do a thing to the truck luckily. This morning he had to take the back seats out to get to the trunk to get it open and pound out the dent some. My poor car just struggles for life, but keeps on chuggin' along. Well zumba tonite and I already did Spanish for today. Now I'm gonna look up a small town in Baja we might consider as our next spot to land.....it's close to Ensenada but not a big city and supposedly has a nice beach for him to work....as soon as I figure out the spelling I'll put it here- something like Maneaderos....wish me luck cause this place lately is killing me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment