Friday, August 23, 2013

ARRGH the DMV on a hot day in Mexico!!??

The heat,of course, continues. Did I say it makes me crabby? I think hubby would call that an understatement ha ha. But add heat to frustration...not good coming from me. Yesterday was run between computer places day. The afternoon before is when my laptop suddenly went dark, and so my first trip began. I went from place #1 to place #2 for a second opinion and ended up leaving the laptop overnite. They told me they'd try to call me before 6:30 pm but I understood that meant tomorrow, so the next morning I waited until 10am (they open at 9), and went in. She looked up and said- oh I was just about to call you- yeah sure I thought...and she told me this big long story about they thought it was the motherboard but there's a tiny chance it's the processor (which is not on the board). Anyway she was going down to Hermasillio this weekend and could see if they had one down there (they didn't have one there to test it), and she'd be back Tuesday. Hmmm well now I already owed 150 pesos to hear what place #1 told me for free. Then I'd have to pay for this additional testing, and wait a week to do it...so I said no, thank you, I'll take it now. Well I had to come back in half an hour for it, so we went to breakfast. When we came back...

So the woman speaks perfect English but when we go back and this time Everardo comes in, they start speaking in Spanish. I can follow at first but she spoke really fast, and so I got lost, and stopped them to ask what they were saying. Then they went back to Spanish....uh oh, my sweaty crabby brain started to get pissed off. This was my computer, I had been handling the business regarding it, and suddenly I cannot understand or make any decisions cause I have no idea what's being said. That lack of control can get to me, even though I know I'm in a country where I'm still struggling with the language...but I'm frustrated and hot, so I start to lose it. Oh- and I asked for the case, and she looked surprised, went to the back, and returned with it, saying, in English- well they said you left it on the chair...ahhh ok thanks. So they return to Spanish and I'm just standing there while they have a loud antimated conversation. Arrgh! So I turned around and walked out.

Everardo comes out a minute later and says, as I slam the car door- what's wrong? Wellllllllll I say...she speaks perfect English-why did you have the whole conversation in Spanish, effectively leaving me out (and I was thinking- and then you were in charge...). He just shook his head...At place #1 the guy is American and his wife (or girlfriend) who works there, too, is Mexican, so the conversation was in English. I just want some control over the things that are about me, if I can.

Ha ha forward to today. I get up at 8:30 but get dressed right away cause we're gonna get my Sonora drivers license. Everardo gets up earlier, so he was ready..and had made me coffee (love this man- even when he pisses me off). We think go early and finish it, then have the rest of the day. Did I say ha ha?? First to the bank cause we know we're gonna pay...ok then stop at the Red Cross where they ask you if you're allergic to anything (& in case I forget, they asked that at the DMV too), and you do and eye test...ha ha it's on the wall behind the guy's desk, and when he got to the really small lines, he "helped me" when I said P instead of F.. .more than once...ha ha ha ha. Then he asked my height and weight (of course I lied about my weight), took 200 pesos from me and gave me a small receipt like document. Of course there was conversation between the guy (maybe he was a doctor) and Everardo about the weather, the beach, working on the beach...I understood most of it, but of course was hot & sweaty so was irritated....I answered all his questions in Spanish, but he looked every time to Everardo to repeat the same answer.....

Ok off to the DMV. Now, in Playa Ventura, the "dmv" was a small office (room) in a small building that had other businesses in it. We gave a guy 200 pesos for each of us, he snapped our pictures and then we chatted while someone made up the licenses. Everardo's was for 4 years, but mine only 1 year because I had a 1 year temp residency card. When we got here, Everardo changed to a Sonora license right away because we bought a car here in his name and so he had to have it. He went to the Red Cross, had his eye test, went to the dmv, paid...I think 1000 pesos....and got his license. Oh- and somehow I thought the Red Cross was for a blood test, but no, just filling out the particulars, and the silly eye test. So, they tell us that they are going to call Hermisillo (state capital I think) to confirm that me having a Guerrero license would "make it ok" . Ok for what? Of course the conversation took place in Spanish. They also said we needed the original phone bill, not a copy, so Everardo went home and got it while we waited for the call. Then a man called me up to the window and asked if I wanted a special license. I said no, just to drive my car. He said ok, pls wait. Then Everardo came back and they told him I could only have a "special temp license", but it wasn't clear if I would be legal to drive either of our cars because they were not in my name. Now I was pissed off. We followed all the rules, did everything right.

We changed the license plates from Guerrero to Sonora, and Everardo changed his license. Changing those plates wasn't cheap. I got my new Temp resident card, which allows me to live and work here in Sonora- but not drive? Everardo got mad too, and then we waited to talk to the head guy there. Wait and pay wait and pay- the Mexican way. So he tries to tell Everardo that it doesn't matter that we had licenses in Guerro- every state is different, and he says..well you gave me one! Then Everardo talked about my immigration card and the guy said well that's Federal...blah blah blah....and of course it was in Spanish, and as it got heated I got lost (again). Ha ha Everardo called him a racist. Anyway they both calmed down and they guy said I had to take an exam at the police station. I said a driving test? Ok no problem. "oh no!" he exclaimed- not a driving test, just answer a couple of questions like identifying a stop sign. OH! So it's just about more money! Of course Everardo had to say that ha ha...It was kinda funny cause usually he's the most patient guy I know- I'm the one who gets frustrated....

So- we go to the police station to sign up for the test which is on Wed and Sat. But they say pls pay us $150 pesos, and come right in. We chatted with this guy (in Spanish) about the weather and how tattoos always have a message. Then he looked at my California license (no interest in the Guerrero license), and he stamped a piece of paper and told us to have a nice day. Oh and while we were waiting to talk to this guy, a man who had to be 100 years old in a police uniform walks by us and has this huge pistol on his hip- it looked as old as he was....not that was scary ha ha. It was like a cowboy gun.

Ok back to the dmv. Every time we go to another place the outside heat hits you like a brick. I have been completely soaking wet and then dry about 5 times and this is before noon.  I forgot to say- as soon as we pulled up to the dmv-the first time- and I saw this beautiful big cement and glass building, I knew it wouldn't be as easy as Guerrero....these guys will want lots of pesos and fill out lots of pieces of (useless) paper. So, we go back in and this time someone is at the "reception podium" and we tell her what we want. She looks at all our papers (again), tells us to take a number and goes off to make copies. I get called about 15 minutes later to the window where we started a couple of hours earlier, and the lady typing in my info tells the woman she called over to translate how we were mad when we were there earlier.....of course she was the one who had decided to make the Hermisillo phone call- which I never heard the result of...anyway I could understand her ha ha, and you should have seen her face when I started answering the questions in Spanish! ha ha ha haha

They asked me about allergies, if I wanted to describe my tattoos in case they could be used for identification- I looked at the English speaking one, and she says, "well in case of emergency...if...if..."I started laughing and said "if" and I drew my finger across my neck.....Oh and they asked me my blood type. Do people know their blood type? So I said B...B positive. Then asked if I wanted to be an organ donor? In Mexico- don't think so. I don't want them in a hurry for any body parts when I'm on the table....

So, in the end I got my license. They said only for 2 years because your immigration has to be renewed in 2 years...( I thought- arrgghh you think I'll be living here in 2 years!!! I so hate you all) but that was only thoughts..oh and then they said..$580 pesos please. wait and pay wait and pay. But I  will say this- this dmv was JUST LIKE the dmv in the states! ha ha

So now I'm home, and the laptop guy just called- I dropped it back off after the dmv for him to look at the hard drive again for the Rosetta Stone password because he said it came up when he looked at it. So he just called and said, hmmm it's not there. Shit! So I can go pick it back up...and he say....$pesos please!!!

It's 3pm and oh soooo hot outside.....but it won't start to cool off before about 7pm so I might was well just go down there...well maybe a small nap first...and maybe try to find out my blood type ha ha!

Hmm today's Mexico fun fact- I wish I would have had one of these today.....
One unusual Mayan weapon was a “hornet bomb,” which was an actual hornet’s nest thrown at enemies during battle.


No comments:

Post a Comment