Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ok maybe at nite it's a little cooler, and we have the windows and the door open right now (8:30pm), and it was even a little cooler today- but I still was sopping wet sweaty all day. I mean I was laying in the couch this afternoon in a very light shift, and I was soaked to the skin. Unfortunately I was not laying in the hammock cause it only gets shady there after about 4pm, and it was too breezy to have the beach umbrella hanging on the clothesline to make shade. Ha ha do I sound like trailer trash? Yeah I was hangin' the beach umbrella on the clothes line to make me some shade over my hammock!

So saying the heat is dissipating is relative, yes the humidity is dropping away so I don't feel like I'm being pushed into the ground, and so hide in the house with the doors & windows closed and curtains shut as well. But maybe tomorrow will be cooler than today (fingers crossed). I took Sam for a drive with him in the back of the truck this afternoon to try to cool off a little. Everardo went down to the beach and there were actually a few tourists and he made a couple of bucks. They come back in October and stay until almost Christmas, but hopefully we will be gone soon...

Right now the plan is to tell our landlord when I pay the Oct rent that Nov is our last month. I printed out a copy of our rent payments to her- which were by bank transfer so that's handy. It's to show we are reliable, responsible, because apprently some people ask for some kind of guarantee beyond a security deposit. Ha ha I haven't rented in more than 25 years until last December when we landed in Puerto Penasco.

Anyway although Sam enjoyed our drive- I could tell by his happy grin and wagging tail, going back and forth across the bed of the truck to catch every smell- but I kept sweating! I drove all over town up and down and back and forth, probly for about an hour. I didn't take him to the beach cause his skin is so dry right now the salt water would just aggravate it, and his ball was in the car with Everardo so we skipped the park, too. It was so hot he probly would have only layed in the grass. So we drove around for almost and hour, and when we got home, Everardo had just gotten home, too.

Now were waiting for the guy who borrowed the trailer a few weeks back to return it, and it was supposed to be tonite, so we didn't go for our nightly drive, and on the weekend we usually go out for tacos and ice cream, but were still waiting for this guy. Poppi has just made us huge egg, avacado, cheese sandwhiches, and on his tomatoes, onions and maybe the kitchen sink.My good! Took a little break to eat and it was amazing!!

So a guy on a web forum for Baja just sent me a msg and says he'll meet us for coffee next time we come to Ensenada- he saw me asking about neighborhoods, so he's gonna help us out a little. That's nice, cause it's a big place. I'm trying not to have too many expectations about Ensenada- ha ha but this is me, and I am all about expectations. But I have done at least a little research...the weather, population, business.....I guess there will be more Americans than here- not per capita, but Ensenada is soooo much bigger, that there will be way more Americans and way more Mexicans.

When we first decided to come and first got here, I wanted to be somewhere with hardly any expats, and I got that, in Playa Ventura there were no full time Americans or anything else except for the German guy who is married to  Mexican woman. And there was certainly no English and no American food- except for what Everardo cooked of course. And for me...I'm kind of a wimp- I don't like spicy food and I hate tomatoes ha ha -the food that goes in everything! Oh I don't like peppers either....Poppi would have to spice up half our meal for him...Then we came up here but we don't eat at any American food places, except for our monthly cheeseburger, when we go out it's tacos, burritos, queadillas carnitas...you get the picture. And I can be around as much or as little English as I want. I go to AA meeting probly 3 times a week in English, and when I was going out to the center, the directors spoke English, but I really like navigating in Spanish. The ladies in zumba all talk to me now, it's funny though- the girl next door never talks to me, and when her kid talks it's always a mile a minute so I never know what he's saying.

He's 5 and spoiled rotten, and always wants to come in and just talk non stop, even Everardo is sick of him ha ha. Yeah a private yard will be a must in Ensenada. I neeed (ok we need) my private space, some inside and some outside. Anyway...our first (only) trip to Ensenada we mostly only spoke in Spanish. In Starbucks, in McDonalds. Yeah they have Mickey D's there. I like their french fries, and we had egg mcmuffins one day. We had Starbucks a couple of times, especially for those 7am appointments to see houses! They also have Costco and Wallmart, and other stores I can't remember- oh Office Depot I think- or maybe it was Home Dept ha ha. I realize, as I realized here, that Mexico is what I make of it. Like we will most likely never live in Punta Banda...the expat neighborhood- which seemed like just Americans, and never live the way I have seen some Americans live here- never learning Spanish or mingling....last nite was a zumba with all the classes and the instructor who flits all over the place (thinks very highly of himself) was asking me why I thought the Americans would rather pay for zumba in the gyms by the beach than do the classes in the park for free....I don't know why I'm the only one- I always tell people; for instance with Deb I have met several of her friends and I always invite them, bit nobody comes. I encouraged Karen as well, but she's always so busy- I know she'd have fun. She's nothing like the people who live by the beach, she lives in the "hood" as Deb calls it- Deb, me, Karen, Melody, there's a few and I want to say that cause it's not all the Americans, but enough that the Mexicans notice ha ha. But there are lots of Americans and Canadians here who speak Spanish and shop, eat, and play immersed in the culture.

Being married to a Mexican helps me out on this score, because honestly, sometimes I do get nervous about going in somewhere or asking for the price of something- cause if it's not marked, it's more for me than for him! I need to just let go and live. Maybe I'll make some closer friends there- my Spanish is alot better, and I hope to find zumba right away....and if I can find a place to volunteer to teach English or something...of course that will probly be thru some churchy thing again....but hey I love Deb and never feel like she's trying to convert me ha ha. Karen and Mark, althought they don't try to do that, they are all about their god and being Christians instead of being people who are Christians...clear as mud/ And another lady, Monica, the one who babysat Sam while we were gone, she's a wacky some kind of missionary as well, but like I said I really love Rick and Deb- they have many interests and it makes them, well, interesting.

Lots to think about, lots to look forward to, I do love to travel. And many times meeting other expats is fun because it's other people who had the courage to jump into something new. Ok well enough for now...

Mexico fun fact:
The Aztecs adopted human sacrifice from earlier cultures (such as the Olmecs) because they believed the universe would come to an end and the sun would cease to move without human blood. There are many ancient statues of gods sticking out their tongues, such as Huitzilopochtli, which may be a sacred gesture that suggests their thirst for blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment