Monday, November 25, 2013

Shortest job in history! When I went in this morning, I was let go. I'm disappointed but ok, I mean I only worked there 2 days. What happened was that she spent the weekend re-evaluating how she is going to move forward with this new venture. She thought this new computer program, which is really an application with alot of input required as well as constant updating, AFTER you decide how you want to utilize it. She hired me because once this new system starts getting her all these new leads, she'll need someone to field calls, to update status's, to weed thru her email, to input data. She is looking for an assistant, not a partner. So she is taking a step back, and going in a different direction and believes her need for an assitant is a couple of months out. She also said her plan is to call me back. She showed me another website used for attracting virtual assistants and within a couple of hours of placing her ad, she got 7 responses. And they were from around the world; India, Bangladesh and other 3rd world locations where they would accept $2, 3, 4 or 5 dollars an hour. Now this is for a different job function than she wanted for me. She has decided to build the infrastructure and then as it begins to come together, as her pipeline begins to fill, then she'll need an assistant. Ha ha now the pressure is back on Poppi for a job! Ok just kidding, but I was not looking; I just happen to see her posting and decided to answer.

She is a very nice woman. She kept apologizing to me and hugged me at the end. She said she plans to call me back, and I hope that's true, but if not, that's ok, too. She said she like me and she thinks I'm fun...ha ha I hadn't even gotten started with my terrible jokes. One funny thing- this morning Everardo and I were talking and I said I'd worn long sleeves both days I worked and at my interview...I thought I'd let her love me before she saw my tattoos. He said- who cares! And I almost wore a 3/4 sleeve sweater, but it was kinda cold and my hair was wet, so I wore a long sleeve flannel over my shirt. I wonder, if I had worn the 3/4 sleeve and then was let go, would I wonder if it was the tattoos? Naaaa. When I got laid off from Teltronics after a year I went over and over it, trying to figure out why it was me- even though a bunch of people were laid off, and my job had basically been created for me...same thing when I did the contract job at this other place for 3 months, and I wanted to apply for a perm position in Engineering; an engineer I knew encourage me to apply, but when I went to HR she wouldn't even let me apply; she told me senior staff didn't like me. I still has 3 days to go on my contract, but I was so surprised, I went back to my desk, then tried to see my boss who I knew liked me...he wasn't around, so I wrote him a nice note, copied HR and left. I made myself nuts trying to figure it out. Well my boss got fired 3 days later, and the best I can figure out is because he hired me and they hated him....ah well. Anyway I do make an impression ha ha! People usually either really like me or really dislike me. Although I would say that as I get older (wait I'm always 29), that I try to be a little more middle of the road..sometimes I'm better at it than others ha ha. It's like as I like me better, I don't have to make you wrong, or convince you of anything about me.

The weekend was beautiful here!  On Saturday we took the doggys to the beach early cause we wanted to go to Ensenada to find the English speaking meeting they have on the wknd and we found it. I ended up chatting this woman who's husband was in a wet suit and standing on a paddle board out in the water. They own a place in the camp next door and come down one wknd a month and then for a couple weeks on vacation every year with plans to retire here in a few years. I pointed out to the point and asked if she knew what all those ships were doing; I thought maybe they had to wait their turn to go into the port at Ensenada. But only a few were boats, they were tuna boats, And the big rings we had seen when driving along the cliffs are tuna rings. The things I saw that I thought were like freight cars and assumed they were on a barge, were actually these things they lower around the tuna rings to keep the seals away and they go down about 50 feet. She told me 2 Japanese companies and 1 Mexican company have the rights out there to fish for the tuna. Getting the tuna to the table in a restaurant in Japan is less than 24 hours! So I guess they keep them alive in those rings and the "harvest" them. I see some googling for info in my near future ha ha. Apparently this place and only one other in the world (yes- the WORLD) is where they do this. It has to do with the cold current...I mean I'm sure tuna is fished for elsewhere but these 2 places are THE places where they can do it at this level. Pretty interesting, right? Makes my mouth water for some sushi...tuna, yellowtail, salmon...mmmm. Anyway while I was chatting Poppi tired out Sam & Hazel so we could take off for Ensenada.

 We went to Ensenada and found the place. Not too many street signs in Ensenada, and directions are always about landmarks...this was find Carl's Jr on the main street (Reforma) and then go behind it. It was pretty far, but we spotted it, and went up to the next light so we could swing behind it. We found it pretty easily, it was upstairs in a long cement building. Not alot of people, but alot of good sobreity, so a good meeting, glad we came. So,  downstairs from it was a little hole in the wall restaurant and I'm telling you- THE BEST enchiladas I EVER had! Now I don't like them picoso (spicy) so she left it out of mine except for a tiny bit. I chose chicken but could have had pork or carne asada. That's one thing- I'm glad we're so close to Ensenada for all the little places to eat, the trucks, corner stands....here the food is expensive, and many of the eaterys are not run or even staffed by Mexicans. This is an American enclave. You could probably deal with just English speakers if you wanted to. We went to this restaurant the other nite and the food was pretty crappy- I think I wrote about it already, so I'll just return to my point about eating in Ensenada. It's nice that it's close, but doesn't really spill over into here. I think driving it's less than 20 minutes to get to Reforma, and that's where Costco and Wallmart are, a big movie theater; alot of consumer businesses. Sort of runs along the top or the back, of the city. At the bottom, or the front is the waterfront, the hotels and touristy stuff. We can see it in the distance from here. This coast line kind of does a half cirlce inward, so we are at the south end and can see Ensenada almost at the north end. I keep forgetting I want to look up the name of this bay we're on. We found a great taco place the first time we came over to house hunt, and now we have this new place. Everardo had a soup and he really liked it. It had veggies and meat in it, it was clear I think, and he loves it. And that 18-20 minute drive will drop to below 15 once the road construction is completed.
When you drop down out of Ensenada- and I say that cause as you leave, the road goes down a big sloping hill, you go straight for a while and then come to a big Y. If you go to the right you go out towards us, and then past us, maybe 10 minutes driving is the Bufadora and the road ends there. So you don't get traffic near us that isn't out here for a reason. If you take the left fork, you go thru Maneadero and continue south thru Baja. The Bufadora is a huge blow hole, and kinda cool, ok very cool. You kind of get mesmerized watching the water flow in and out. You park and then walk thru a mini malecon packed with booths on both sides, and then come down to a viewing spot. I guess it's a pretty big tourist attraction, hence the road construction. We haven't done any exploring in Maneadero yet; but I suspect we'll find good food, and less expensive there as well since it's a Mexican community. Right next next to that Y, is an open air market on the weekends, on Sundays for sure and I think on Saturdays.

On Sunday there was this bike ride (maybe it was a race) from Ensenada to the Bufadora, probably an hour and a half each way (guess). There were about 300 riders and it was cool to see them going by. There was a pit stop for water here in Punta Banda, and they were taking donations of foodstuffs for a senior's home in Ensenada. So we donated some toilet paper, toothpaste and some cans of tuna...stuff we had in the house.
So we went to the open air market after that and bought fresh veggies and fruit for the week. The veggies are really really cheap, but I guess that's to be expected since this is an agricultural area. We eat there as well. A little taqueria on the back row with head tacos..really good; we've been to this market twice and that little place was packed both times. In the late afternoon we went to the beach and took a long walk, longer than usual and really enjoyed it. Yeah, walking on the beach every day is hard work, but somebody's gotta do it right? ha ha.

Tomorrow Mike is supposed to come and he and Everardo will fix the roof, and the front gate which has also crapped out. It's a wide metal gate with both sides swinging out and where one side connects to the wall by bolts thru a piece of wood, has come off. For me it's a cumbersome gate, and I look forward to not having it- I mean when we find another place to live. On Sunday afternoon we took a drive (before the beach) with the dogs and looked in a couple of other camps and saw some cute places. I think the Pablov family owns at least 2 other one besides La Joya and so far I continue to hear good things about them and their campos......

Oh, one more things. So I went to zumba this morning at 8; didn't mind paying since I had a job ah aha. But- it was terrible!! One 2 people besides me altho' they said usually it's about 10. The instructor was awful. Not like dancing at all. No booty shakin', no dancing, no excitement. I guess it was an ok aerobics class, but not even a very good one of those. I was thinking during it about writing this tonite ha ha, not realizing I'd be jobless in a few minutes. But job or no job that was not a class I'll return to.There's a free exercise class I heard about that I'll try tomorrow, but so bummed about the zumba. Maybe I can find out about the free one in Ensenada...maybe if the time works out I won't mind driving...oh but every day? Hmm ah well, I have the music so...never know what comes next, right?

Mexico fun fact:
The North Atlantic Free Trade Association (NAFTA) was created in 1994 to encourage trade among the United States, Canada, and Mexico. But NAFTA has largely failed to lift Mexico out of poverty due to Mexico's repeated economic crises, a weak public education system, government corruption, and Mexico's inability to enforce the rule of law.

No comments:

Post a Comment