Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! 2014-wow...don't wanna think about how old that makes me ha ha! Well not really cause my birthday is in December so I have all year. We had a quiet New Years Eve; briefly considered going down to the Bufadora where a restaurant was serving filet mingnon for about $10US and staying open for fun until midnite or late, but Sam does not like loud fireworks and was upset with the few going off around 7pm, and we just couldn't leave him. And at midnite, there were A LOT of booms and bangs going off. Mostly fireworks that were just noisy with just a few shooting up lights. We could see some of those lights off in the distance in Maneadero and Ensenada, and like I said, Sam was very unhappy. And honestly, I still have a nagging cough that altho' isn't too bad when I'm sitting still, but being out in the cold nite air, and dancing, laughing, whooping it up for New Years Eve, well I'd probably be paying for it today, even though I don't even drink.

Today was a quiet one for us as well. Jammies most of the day, only getting dressed to take Sam & Hazel for a walk on the beach. There were alot of people out there digging holes to make little hot tubs and the steam was coming up all over. I tried to take some pictures, but the steam didn' come out in the shots, so it just looks like people digging in the sand ha ha.

There was a big freighter in the port across the bay in Ensenada with nothing on it. I saw it yesterday too, so maybe the port was on holiday- which would be nice for the workers, rigth? Then right before we left for the beach this afternoon I saw another freighter coming into the bay all loaded up, so I remembered to take the telescope with me. I love using it to look at the boats and the ships. There's usually a few out at the far end of the bay, on our side, where the big tuna rings are, and then sometimes there's the big cruise ships. In fact the other day there were 2 cruise ships, different cruise ship companies, both in port. We were in Ensenada and so parked down by the docks and walked along the malecon to look at them. You can't get up right next to them; there's a gate and a road that extends out to them. They mesmerize me- they are like apartment houses they are so big. The bigger one had a name "Sapphire Pricness", and I googled it when we got home. They are just massive with swimming pools and niteclubs and you can certainly spend a hell of a lot of money, but really I think you can not go crazy, and it can be reasonable. I always look at them thru the telescope when I see them from here (which is about twice a week I think), and if we're in Ensenada I want to look at them, but I'd never actually take a cruise ha ha! It looks really cool- but where the ocean is concerned- I am a big chicken. And to be out in the middle of the ocean and not be able to see any land....thinking of it gives me a kind of claustrophobia...like when I was a kid and we were driving in the desert and you could see nothing but desert I would get that same suffocating feeling. I used to say I'd do a cruise if I could see the land, like along the Mexican coast, or up the channel (wrong word, I know) in Alaska where you see the glaciers, but after the day the ocean beat the shit out of me in Playa Ventura, I really really understand the force of the ocean, how strong the waves are- how they swatted me like a fly. I was holding onto the rock and I was slapped off it like I was a flower petal floating in the air. And the water then threw me back against the rocks, very luckily for me I had moved to the side with the first swat and so I hit rocks on the sand, only about ankle high. It all happened really fast and yet I knew I was going to die there. The first swat pushed me along the rock and then dragged me out. I only wasn't dragged further because another wave came and thre me back up the beach. I barely remember any details of that part, but after the second one, I was digging my fingers into the sand like a cartoon character and was pulled right back in anyway. The third time, miraculously, I was thrown onto only sand, and although I couldn't see I just started crawling as fast as I could. The next wave just pushed me up the beach but didn't drag me out. I know how lucky I am. I also have huge respect for the ocean. I understand that if I fall off a boat, even if I can see the land, the water is choppy, surging, I'd never make it to shore. So cruises are out. For the first time I realized how lucky I was, (and how fucking stupid) back in the early 90's when I jumped off that yacht in the Sea of Snakes off the coast of China. I knew the water in Hong Kong harbor was dirty, but a slew of drinks later I was drunk enough to be "daring" (again-read stupid) to jump off the boat. This boat was 110 feet long and had speedboats on it to take little rides, the boat was owned by the company we were doing business with. I don't really remember alot about the boat, the pads they put down for us to sit on, the crew wearing starched white uniforms with gold braid and no shoes, and food, so much food, as well as continuous drinks whenever your glass emptied. However I do remember the second I hit that cold water! Again I was like a cartoon because I swear I ran across the top of the water back to the boat! So, again, no cruises for me.

So- back to the freighters. I watched them from the beach, and the empty one never moved, but the full one did a big "L" shape to get to a port a ways away for the empty one. There have been continuous commercials on tv for the movie with Tom Hanks on the freighter; Captain Phillips and we watched on the free movie site the other nite. It's called Watch32 and you can watch movies for free, so Everardo hooks his laptop up to the tv and we watch them. I love Tom Hanks movies and of course afterward I had to google to see how close to a true story it was. The producer said it was close, but there are lawsuits going on about the story from the crew, who said the captain received warnings about the pirates and should have take a course further out to sea, and the captain says he didn't think they'd be any safer further out. Anyway it was a pretty good movie. And like I said, I like to look at the freighters, think about what they're picking up and/or dropping off, where they're going next.

A family stopped to chat with us as we watched Sam chase the ball and Hazel chase Sam. I of course was looking at all things far with the telescope and was surprised to hear the man's voice right behind me. He was asking Sam's name and then he started to tell us that they had a lab some time ago. There was also a wife and 2 kids, teenagers at least, a boy and a girl. The conversation got too fast for me as always so I lost track of what everyone was talking about, but near the end the boy said something in English so I said- hey you speak English (ha ha yes painfully obvious) and he said he was learning. He had no accent in his English which surprised me, anyway the wife and he said I spoke good Spanish and so I told them, in Spanish that I speak better than I understand and they laughed. I said when I speak, people assume I'm fluent and the start speaking really fast (& they laughed), or they speak low, or use words I don't understand (since everything gas at least 2 or more words to describe it). Then Everardo asked for my cell phone number and I knew they were talking about where we lived, and I thought they were on vacation, so I assumed they were looking for a place to rent by the beach...ha ha wrong. They live in Maneadero and we gave him our phone number because he might know of a place for us to rent. So see, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing  ha ha, I get everything all mixed up....oh and they also may know of a place I can teach English, so it was good to meet then. My hubby makes friends with everyone he meets, he's me, just in Spanish ha ha.

So tomorrow I think we're going to go on a little road trip, down to San Quintin which is about 2 hours south I think. This area grows more tomatoes than anywhere else in the world. They also have abalone! Well I'm not sure how old the article I read was, but oh man would I love some abalone. However first I need to know how they prepare it. I thought everyone did it the same, dipped and then quick fried...oh man my nouth is watering. But once I had it in Bangkok, and it was one thick "steak" and you cut it with a knife and fork....and I was SO disappointment, but the person who brought me was so happy to treat me to something I was so excited about, so I said it was wonderful...it was good...but usually abalone is AMAZING and that's the experience I want. Well I will be sure to make a full report here. Viva.

Mexico fun fact:
There are 31 states in Mexico as well as the capital city (Mexico City).

No comments:

Post a Comment