Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

What a beautiful day! No I did not receive a box of chocolates or candy hearts, but I did get the gift of an awesome day. Oh and it's not over yet. Anyway it started with a cup of coffee and a ride out to the cliffs we went to for a few minutes yesterday, to look for whales. Notice I did not say "whale watching" because that assumes that there are whales hanging out waiting to be watched. That was not the case. As the day wore on Everardo made terrible jokes like -I saw some quail....wheel watching...it went on & funny enough, never got old so we laughed all day.

We took Hazel and Sam for the first hour, but that wasn't working out too well....Sam is fine, he'll lay down at your feet, but Hazel runs and jumps all over the place. So I went from scanning with the binoculars to worrying about her. Once when Poppi said oh she's fine under the truck, we looked and she had crossed the street. The thing is...this is a windy road leading to the Bufadora, and the place we stop is in between two curves. And man, people drive like bats out of hell! I looked at the curve beyond us, that curves inward so the outside lane goes along the guard rail and wondered how many cars simply miss that turn and fly off the cliff to be smashed on the rocks and deown in the ocean below. Dark, right? But they are driving sooo fast! And huge buses also come along, but they are going slow by these turns. There was one cruise ship in port over in Ensenada, and then when we took the dogs home to drop them off we saw a huge cruise ship coming in from the south.

Ok so back to the cliff. Everado took the dogs exploring and I sat and watched the ocean for awhile. I heard a long deep boom, a foghorn way out there. There was a wall of fog way out, almost to the horizon, so we could see lots of ocean; 2 sailboats...they looked so cool, lots of birds...I could hear sea lions barking but couldn't see them. So after an hour we decided to bring the dogs home and then go back out. So we came back and that's when we saw the huge cruise ship come in from the south so we knew that was the foghorn we heard. That was kinda cool.

I sat and watched the ship come in ever so slowly and Everardo went in the house and came back out with protein shakes for both of us. Mine has to be made without the protein powder we bought, but we are getting creative and smashing up almonds, adding berries and bananas, and this weekend I'll pick up some yogurt with is packed with protein. Then we went back out.

At first it was "OH NO!", because the fog had crept into almost to the shore, but we continued past our cliff and went all the way to the Bufadora. We walked thru and Everardo bought the bread with the cheese inside that I love so much. Then he led me to the shop that had the purses I loved so much last time we were out there buying bread. He said pick the one you like....and ha ha I ended up with 2! Both are handmade from Oxaca, one with embroidered flowers, the other a thicker material of bright colors. We walked all the way the shops (in my head I call it the walk of shame...cause you kinda gotta not look at anyone or they'll try to sell you something- altho' they try whether you look at them or not ha ha). There was a lot of people there, both cruise ships must of had people who wanted to come out. The vendors walk around with trays of tiny pina colodas giving them away free, and everyone wants you to visit their shop. Luckily we had a couple of bags so I could alternate with "no, gracias" and "ya compre" (I already bought one) It's nice to see that the place is busy. There's been some conflict with the vendors and the landowners and they were closed for a couple of weeks in Nov or early Dec, but they are up and running now.

Unfortunately it was low tide so the Bufadora (blow hole) was only offering small bursts, but the whole place has a nice ocean view (so I could keep watching for my elusive whales) and I always enjoying going out there. (ha ha we only been here3.5 months & I'm already using the word "always") I saw a guy and then later a woman painting scenes on plates with their fingers- I was really impressed. I think they sell them for $5. Cruise ships bring thousands of  foreign tourists so they show the prices in dollars (by foreign I mean the US & Canada). Ah well something for me to buy next time ha ha. Oooh maybe souvenir gifts when I go up to northern Ca...

Then we left and came back to our cliff spot. We stayed another hour or so, and I told Everardo it was ok if we didn't see the whales, maybe they just weren't coming by today.
Little fun fact:
Each year, around 26,000 gray whales (Eschrichtius robustus) make the 10,000 mile journey from the Arctic Sea south to Baja and back. In fact, the gray whale's trip is the longest migration undertaken by any mammal. 

Oh good I just looked up that fact.  A couple of guys stopped at our cliff and asked if we'd seen any whales. They had planned to take a boat out from Ensenada to go whale watching but a passerby told them the season was probly over and the boat would just take their money. Of course they can't guarantee you'll see a whale; like us today, they just weren't swimming by. But the article I just read said the season of their migration is the end of Dec thru March, so I'll probly have another chance. But it was a beautiful and fun day. We came home and I took a nap. When I got up Everardo was gone taking the dogs for a walk/swim. Now we just finished some nice soup and grilled cheese sandwiches and I would say that Valentine's Day was a success. (oh I gave him a lollipop that said "Te amo" and a tiny stuffed dog holding some red candies. Hazel has torn apart the stuffed animals we had from other holidays...and I didn't get chocolate, because then it would have been for me ha ha).

It's still nice out and a full moon to boot. so let's see the evening brings! Viva!

Oh- and what came to me after all that writing I did last nite.....unconditional love, I need to practice it, I need to recognize where/when it's needed. (answer- almost always)........

No comments:

Post a Comment