Friday, September 26, 2014

So I am back in Mexico....

Yesterday I wrote all about my trip to upstate NY and feel like I'm ready to talk about Mexico again...oh but wait- one more small thing about my trip. The airport in Chicago where I had to change planes on the way home...and change terminals even though I stayed with the same airline....they have the thinnest and I mean THINNEST toilet paper of anywhere I think I've been in the entire world! I don't understand how they can produce it and get it on the rolls without it tearing and falling off. It makes tissue paper look like a block of concrete. And one thing I've learned in Mexico is always carry a roll of toilet paper in my purse. But that's because there might not be any, or it might handed out by the square (remember the Seinfeld episode about "sparing a square"?) Not because it's so thin it doesn't actually exist! Ok enough.

It's nice to be home. I came back to a heat wave, and then whatever parasite/virus is going around ha ha but now I've been home almost 2 weeks, the heat wave and my discomfort have passed, and it just feels good. I exercised every day this week and am feeling very good about myself on that score. the tides have shifted a bit- I'm sure that's how it works, I just never thought about it before. But now around 9am the tide is so high that there's almost no space for me to dance, and yesterday I sort of hopped along the shore and actually finished up here by the house. Today I went to the gym first, and not until 10am, so I hit the beach around 11am, and there was about 4 feet wide of the harder sand that the tide only hit a few times. It's hard to dance on soft sand, so I dance right next to the water, where the sand is damp, harder than farther up the beach, and so easier to dance on. I am about to complete 6 months of this and I don't exactly remember what it was like back on April 1. Back then I really walked alot more, sort of a walk dance....it seems like I had more space than today but I'm not sure. I didn't want to write about my exercise program here, but decided that I hit month 7 next Wednesday and I want to talk about it a little.

The truth is I am kinda proud of myself for making a commitment and sticking to it the past 6 months. I made a year commitment to myself, so this is just the halfway mark, but lately it seems like I have had several excuses not to stick with it, but I did anyway, and that feels good. Back at the  beginning of August I smashed my toe and the side of my foot, but I exercised thru it- sort of modified. I have gone to Calif, been sick, but somehow stuck with it. Went on my NY trip and exercised thru that & really did good with food there as well. Now the damn beach has changed ha ha...I think wow- the old me would have taken advantage of all those events by giving myself permission not to workout....and then complained and hated myself for not changing mind spirit or body ha ha. I'm gonna look up the tides and see how long this is going to last, and maybe I'll just go out later in the morning. I mean I can do it up here by the house, but that's no fun for the dogs, and I really like being right next to the water. I am keeping a journal about my progress and how I feel about it. The truth is my goal is 5 lbs a month for a year, so that means 60 lbs. This month I don't think I'll get the entire 5 lbs. On Oct 1 I should be 30 lbs down, but today I am only at 26, and I'm ok with it. After 6 months 5 lbs a month is hard. But like I said, I'm pretty happy. And today was the first time anyone said anything to me about it. This guy I always sit next to at the Fri nite 6pm meeting said to me just as the meeting was starting- hey you look like you've lost some weight...AHA! I was sooo happy! I told him he was the first person to say anything to me! I mean my husband has, but I've had to fish for it, you know...like how do I look, or how does this look? as I've tried on stuff that hasn't fit in forever. ha ha and I doooo fish for it! The thing is, I've lost this weight before, so I probly look the same. It's this second 30lbs that I will probly have to fight hard for...but as long as I stay willing, right? Yep, this is why I didn't want to write about this stuff. I need to stop right here at being proud of myself for making a sticking to a commitment....and inspiring myself to stick with it. So I'll finish this subject with my goals. The one I hope to keep as the most important is my health- I have 2 months left of the Arimidex woot woot! Then yesterday I heard something about a new medical "protocol" for breast cancer where you take tamoxifen for 10 years! Not 5...10. Well that's another story for later. Ok my second goal is look amazing and by that I mean AMAZING for my daughter's wedding next summer. My third goal is to be amazing for myself and my hubby. Hubby already tells me I'm beautiful, but he is also wonderful support for my exercise program and he already eats the way I'm trying to. Oooops there I go again saying "trying to". It's been 6 months- I'm doin' it! The cool thing is I am not craving sweets....I'm actually craving things like golden delicious apples! I always like the green sour ones before, but I tried the golden delicious...now it's my sweets. I need to change my lifestyle and I'm doing it. I am going to be 58 in Dec...better late than never to be as healthy as possible. (Oh and the guy who noticed I have lost weight and mentioned it- is married to a man).

Oh new subject- our new juicer finally arrived today after about 6 weeks! I swear I ordered it in July! It was a huge hassle, first with the company, which was in the US...Brevelle, who cancelled the order because I had a different ship to than bill to, but after doing the entire transaction online, they called, didn't email, and then cancelled it. ha So I called a week later after I figured that out and got it reordered- really screwed up company who can't edit their 'ship to' when they send something out. Then it sat for about 3-4 weeks at the mailbox place of a friend who gets mail down here. You know what? It's a mistake to ask friends to help out with stuff like this. He had said sure- send it to my mailbox...and we would pay if there was an extra charge. It sat and sat there. He went up to the states and was supposed to pick it up while I was in NY (it had already been there more than a week)...then came back and said- oh yeah- I forgot. Forgot? So now we were at the mercy of the landowners here- ok let me explain. For something like $9 a month plus the cost of a mailbox at a mailbox place they use- we can have mail service. But in the 2.5 years we've lived in Mexico we've never received anything by mail. There's always been someone coming down, and so when he offered, we gratefully said yes please. I mean we just don't need to get much and could always wait. Last year I bought a hard drive for my laptop, but we were in Penasco and a friend who went back and forth quite often to Tuscon was happy to let me use her address....and then next time she took a trip- it showed up. So for this juicer, we decided to get one after going to a stand in Ensenada and having a carrot/beet/celery juice. I researched the heck out of it; we even looked at some used juicers here, and decided to spend the money on a good one, brand new. I was lazy, and didn't know as many people who went back and forth- even a couple of months ago, and went with someone that made it seem easy. Yeah well "I forgot" cost me about $50 extra, a charge for bringing it across and for it being a big box....and almost another $20 on top of that because of another greedy little shit.....So I am still not going to start paying $9 a month, but I do know I will have a debit card coming and something else that escapes my brain this second...but I can wait until it's a couple of things. Then a couple who are in my afternoon meditation group go back and forth twice a month...they actually have a house in Calif and a house here- they work every other week in the states! Anyway she's really nice and offered to me anytime. Another woman I recently met thru the same meditation group has a husband who also works in the states and she actually helped me to get the book we're using for meditation. So it will be ok- but this really put me thru my paces. I was sooooo frustrated and pissed off. If I heard- well this is Mexico- one more time I was gonna scream! It can't be this hard! The other thing is I was intimidated by the border here, I think I said that yesterday. But the truth is I can get one day insurance and drive thru at Tecate.  Ha ha holy crap did I just write all that about getting the juicer?? Yep. Well the people who were supposed to pick it up (when our friend didn't- the regular pick up people) just didn't. One day it was- oh it's such a big box. Really? Another day it was well it didn't have the guy's name first..what? Then, oh well there's no paperwork so the border won't know what to charge...every day a new excuse. oh it will be here Monday...tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow...... I wanted to scream every day and I was stuck- powerless because I couldn't pick it up since I had no account at the place, and couldn't get it sent back..aarrgghhh........BUT this afternoon we got it! It's so pretty. Ha ha yeah didn't use it yet, we're gonna tomorrow, though.

Yep it's good to be home. We decided to make our trip down south in about a month- at the end of October so it should be done raining down there. Looks like we have someone different to stay at the house with the doggys....a guy we know who works on the property here- not "our" property but this whole place- this "camp". He's gonna bring his family and is hoping to have vacation from work even though he works here....He already loves Hazel...and who doesn't love Sam? So we may even be gone a month....I mean 4 days down to our house in Guerrero if we drive 12 hours a day...and I don't want to drive that much every single day. I mean yeah some of it is boring, but I want to have lunch in little towns, or maybe sight see a little since we won't have the dogs. But I'm glad it's not for a month so that I can be back on my routine for a month. Yeah as always I am all about me...so selfish I know- but this one worked out without me, because of the long rainy season it makes sense. And Everardo decided it...ha ha I was ready to go right after I got back from NY- but he convinced me that waiting is a good idea. And it is a good idea. And so is getting back on track- which I feel like I am after this week. No matter what I find a way to exercise. This week I did the weights 10 lbs less and less reps. Next week I'm gonna add back the weights and wait another week to increase the reps. I am so lucky to be able to look out at the waves while I workout in that gym. It's upstairs so I have such a nice view. I don't know how the weather will be going forward here, it's cooler at nite, but I'm still wearing shorts and tank tops every day. I almost wouldn't mind wearing long pants and shoes & socks ha ha. I did that in NY and it was kinda nice. If course on our trip it will be hot in Guerrero, and Oaxaca if we go there...and it seems like Michoacan was cool in the evenings. I think its at about 6000 feet so probly does cool off at nite. Actually I think it will be close to the same time of year as we went last time.

We have a couple of friends who may visit us before we go- meaning sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks I guess....Everardo's cousins Anna and Carlos are the only ones we've had here, I keep hopin' for my daughters to come soon. I have ideas to change things here in the house when we get back since we're picking up my books and a nice piece of furniture we left down there. Oh Oh! While I was gone in New York Everardo fixed the floor in the extra bedroom and came up with a piece of carpet to put in there and that room looks pretty good- we took out one of the twin beds- don't need it, and it looks nice. Ha ha I dragged home a floor lamp shaped like a cactus and want to paint the lampshade a sort of brick red and it's in there as well. He also fixed the floor on my side of the bed so I don't have to walk so carefully...and he made a new side fence outside where I thought it looked like cardboard tacked together! He actually cut out the planks from a left over square of wood he had for the floors! Now he started digging up the whole side yard to make a winter garden so winter veges here you come! He can make anything grow, and we've been making this mulchy stuff with banana peels and eggs shells and horse shit, so I bet things will grow great. So anyway, in our small living room I have all these little chotzky things, silly tiny plastic penguins, little wood painted pigs...kinda crap really- in lieu of my books and a few things I never brought from the states (that by the way I wish I would have simply entrusted to Drewy or a storage place and not given away- like my 600 year old Chinese statues I gave my sister who doesn't even speak to me ha ha- but who like ancient Chinese artifacts). Maybe I finally noticed because everything gets dusty/sandy here in one day, so to have all this little stuff on shelves, like a crazy old cat lady...is insane. So I plan to box most of it up. I mean it all- almost all has meaning to me. My little Russian figures I bought under the street in Moscow...but I also have a couple of hand made/painted nesting dolls from Russia that are actually for my daughters, and a couple of other Russian things...some wooden carved vases from Thailand, and the pigs are from various places in Mexico- but do I need them all- in the living room?? I think not. So it's almost all going into a bin...not a trash bin...the kind we use for packing. I want books and a few larger items that will be easy to dust quickly. My wrought iron chubby ballerinas from Thailand stay along with my brass jazz musicians...but they are large and won't fall over when I dust them ha ha. After that, mainly framed photographs. We are also going to get a couch we can both lay on at the same time! So maybe it's better that my darling daughters haven't come yet. Or Elena (Poppi's daughter).....

So I'm doing my workout, and also need to spend the next month working on Duolingo for Spanish- feels like I'm always saying I need to work on my Spanish....I do, and I notice that I am understanding alot more....but always always need to work on it. I have a couple of new women friends, Americans, that I have met thru the meditation group- which I am loving by the way. I'm trying to meditate at least for a few minutes every day- should be easy, looking out at the ocean, and yet...I still struggle with it. Well, at least I always have something to work on. So- stuff to do and stuff to look forward to. And oh yeah- kicking around when we'll head back to the U.S again... I mean kicking it around again. For sure at least a year away....5 seems like the right number, but I think the lives of our daughters may end up being the driving force for that....intrigued? Stay tuned....viva

No comments:

Post a Comment