Saturday, September 27, 2014

What will happen next?

This morning Poppi told me he has having dreams we crossed the border back into the U.S. He said- get ready- things might change all of a sudden! I replied that he probably dreamed about it because we were just talking about it lately; from my recent trip to upstate New York to my daughter's upcoming wedding (at least a year away), to his uncle's new boots. His uncle, who is for all intents and purposes is his father, is pretty old, and not in great health, and Everardo worries about him. His tio calls Poppi "his son" when he refers to him even though Poppi refers to his uncle as "tio" or "jefe"...Anyway due to a long hard life of being hard on his body, Tio developed diabetes and now has lost both legs below the knee- the second one just in the past few months. He has been complaining of pain in his feet, which I understand is normal....sad though, right? And his feet being cold....so when Everardo was in Tijuana dropping me off at the border, he went to see a guy who makes shoes. He had this guy make this pair of "booties" I guess, almost more of a pair of leather socks. They are really soft inside, lined with the softest lamb's wool...like fur, and then they lace up to be tighter or looser. We mailed them the other day (yeah I know- funny how they were able to mail something out SO much better than receiving something in ha ha). They have been received and Tio really likes them very much and is wearing them constantly- they are keeping his feet warm. This is so sweet! I know my husband feels guilty for moving down to Mexico so far away from his uncle, but when we decided to move he was in much better health and it felt like if we didn't go- there would always be a reason not to. And we were agreed that we didn't want to look back with regret and say...oh I wish I woulda.....

So....I thought this is why he is dreaming about going back to the U.S. But he told me, you know what, when I start dreaming about something....things happen. Ha ha! But honestly we have things to accomplish before thinking of going back to the states. Selling our house in Guerrero is a biggie. Maybe the number one thing. The market hasn't been that good in that area due to lots of problems, and Playa Ventura is a tiny, sleepy, fishing village. I mean you would have to know about it for some reason to think of it. They are slowly, little by little trying to promote it...it does have beautiful beaches, warm ocean water year round, it's the tropics. And it is a very popular vacation spot during the Mexican holidays, especially Christmas and Semana Santa (Easter week), for Mexicans from Mexico City looking for a beach vacation. The whole town basically makes it's nut over those 2 holidays. The rest of the year they scrape by. But when we were leaving almost 2 years ago the road was being paved, and I know they were working on getting municipal water. Right now everyone has pilas and the water gets trucked in.

I've seen some photos on facebook and some of the people are building "bungalows" like our friends were, on their properties to entice vacationers, and putting in swimming pools. I know that sounds funny- to put in a pool next to an ocean as warm as a bathtub- but honestly- it's the most refreshing and relaxing thing after an afternoon at the beach. The ocean is wonderful, amazing, fun, exciting...and strong...the waves crash in. If you are trying to surf or even just body surf or swim, you are exhausted after not too long. It's not the bay like where we are here in Baja. It's the Pacific ocean crashing against the shore. Where it hits a rocky shore...where the big boulders are like behind our house....it's so....majestic, so forceful, so amazing and exciting to watch. But even where it's the softest warmest sand, the water is strong, and you get tired. You get sandy, you get sunburned, you get...hungry ha ha!! So you come back in, have a cool drink in the shade, take an outside shower under a shady palm, and then jump into the cool refreshing pool. Float around....Swim underwater with no tug, no push, no pull. Yes a pool is a great idea.

So the area becomes more enticing all the time, more people come. Yipee for us. And we have had a long term renter for at least 6 months I think, and they have voiced intentions to stay for the next year...but we want to sell. I know I have talked before here about how we paid way to much for the place- which is entirely on me...naive and arrogant ha ha...ouch. Yeah it was before I met and fell in love with Poppi. Ok so I messed up but time to let it go. In fact I think I have. It happened- it's done. Ok, so what can we do about it. We can sell it for less. Forget about how much we paid and/or how much we put into it. How much can we get for it today? Well- not sure. But that's part of our upcoming trip. Seeing if we can hook up with someone who can advertise it actively. And not someone who lives there now. We only trust one family there know, the guy who caretakes the house for us now. He has done a great job. Letting us know what the place has needed, taking care of the small stuff. Took care of getting the curb/sidewalk for our driveway that the construction workers totally screwed up (surprise surprise) and then my hubby- who almost never loses his temper, did...and took a sledge hammer to it. Ha ha writing that made me smile and laugh a little out loud...yeah enough time has gone by for it to be kinda funny...But man it was not funny when it was happening. Ok so Jay has done well by us, and we've been paying him well, too. I mean not way more than the job is worth, and basically the going wage down there, but Everardo has thrown in a few things along the way, made Jay some good deals with things. Not sure if I wrote about this- but during a storm down there our microwave went poof during a power surge (which were constantly), so we didn't have one for the next year and a half until a couple of months ago when Anna & Carlos brought us one from Calif. Anyway we never got rid of it, it just sat in the kitchen and I used it to store things in, helped keep stuff like bread or fruit/veges fresh outside the fridge. Once we decided to go we packed and left pretty quick with an intention to come back in 3 months for stuff we left behind or needed to get rid of...but we never did. Jay let us know recently that he borrowed it to use it, but he broke it and would replace it! Poor guy. We told him he did not break it- see what a good guy. So he has done a good job and let us know when there has been the random inquiry about the price....but he is not a real estate guy. And really- is selling it in his best interest? Yes we've told him if we get a buyer thru him we will ceratinly give him a cut..but...

So that's something for us to look into while we are there, and really we should be seeing what we can find online from up here before we go. I think I know what I would research but it's going to be in Spanish which will make it extremely slow going for me.....and Everardo is so much more the "in the moment" guy and will deal with it when we get there. Hmmm I guess that works for us.. I'm the planner, he's the doer....

We have some plans dancing around our heads regarding our life once the house is sold- but it is the one thing that would stop us from moving back to the states right now. Yeah we could go back down...but really, we just want to finish it. It's a beautiful amazing place, but I'm ready to try new things...and it's a really long trip from the states...it's a 4 day, 12 hour every day min to drive there just from here. To fly?? No direct flights to Acapulco from San Francisco or anywhere near there...and so it's expensive. So all in all, better to finish it.

From a purely selfish point of view, I want to stay here at least until next summer when Drewy gets married. And if for some reason they delay it past summer, to keep staying here. I like it here. I love love love it here. The beach outside my door. I am 6 months into a 12 month health commitment plan for myself and I really want to finish it here. Yeah I could finish somewhere else- but if I don't have to- I want to stay. I am also totally excited about the afternoon meditation group and the book we just started and that may also end up as a year commitment. I am changing here. In good ways. Physically, mentally and spiritually. I want to see where this takes me. I want to become "more" of me and have it be me before I move again. Does that make sense? I mean sticking to exercise and good eating habits was sooo much easier on my trip to NY than my trip to Calif. It's become my normal here. And it felt normal in NY, but how much of that was because it's basically my sister's normal as well? In Calif I have so many habits...that yes of course I can change, or stay changed....but I'd like to be...I don't know- better at it? Sometimes I do get wrapped around the axle in my little pea brain and wonder if I'm only "all serene & stuff" here because I don't know too many people....there's no 31 Flavors ice cream store on every corner...the gym is too expensive...I'd have to get a job-maybe even a full time job ha ha ha haha YUCK! I really don't want to go back to work.

So, we'll see. I do know to trust my gut. That he and I make a damn good team. That we're getting pretty good at recognizing opportunities. So maybe we will be back in the states before....before our plans I guess. I can definitely say I would want to live close to...the beach, the woods....somewhere good for our dogs- especially Hazel who only knows open space. My big Sam...well as long as he is close, he's pretty happy. He knows about green grass, how to roll in it- Hazel's never seen it. Yeah thinking about it- it's sooo expensive in the states....car reg & insurance, going to the doctor...any kind of medicine including over the counter....utilities, rent, food....arrgghh. I love you Mexico!

Right now I am only going to focus on today. And starting to plan our trip south in a month, for a month....visiting new parts of Mexico and revisiting others.....vamos a ver, right? Viva

No comments:

Post a Comment