Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mexicans are nothing if not creative! There is a place on the way to Ometepec, (which is about a 2 hour drive from here south & east), right before you get into the city itself where the road dips. There's dirt in this dip which I guess makes alot of dust. There's this family who have these small buckets that keep the dirt damp. That way the dust doesn't blow over you and/or your car. Then they stand with little bowls and people give them a few pesos. I've seen it twice now, and some people told us they are always there. Pretty cool. We give them 10 pesos when we pass- on the way back, not the way in. My husband commented that we don't see too many homeless people deep in Mexico. Even if people have nothing, they at least have a small shack they live in- and it's theirs. People own their home- shack or castle or in between (mostly), and you always see places with a small store or restaurant in front and they live in back or upstairs. With no mortgage ,when you own what you have, you can make it.
I also see lots of small jobs, so mostly everybody eats. The tips you give to the people who carry things to your car- in some parts of Mexico this is the only money they make- the store doesn't pay them. When we were in Acapulco Monday we went to Wallmart- there must have been 100 people working in there! But it works. As I write this I'm keeping my eye out for the bread lady, but it's afternoon and I might have missed her.

So many things we don't normally think about. We have a covered pitcher of water in our bathroom for brushing our teeth. I wasn't thinking about drinking water in the bathroom, but hey when you brush your teeth the water goes in your mouth ha ha. I just remembered the 3 weeks I stayed in someone's home in San Miguel Allende a couple of years ago to go to a Spanish immersion school; there was always a pitcher of fresh water in my room.My candles have been coming in handy and were merely decorative in Calif. It seems that during the rainy season the electricity goes out alot. But we just carry on. Don't know if I already said this, but a guy is rewiring our whole house for about 300 pesos- the wiring was messy and when the new construction was done they just "extended" the wire ha ha. Our electricity is not string enough for the pumps so he's gonna fix that too.

So in Ometepec today we went to Telmex and got a landline & internet. This was very cool because previously we were told that internet could be as much as a year wait because this area is "saturated". But somehow in the end we got it! yipee Well we'll see about yipee- the installation is 10-15 days away, which may nean something entirely different, but it's a positive start. All that's left now is one more trip to Acapulco to Telcel to get my IPhone "unlocked" so I can get service on it here from Telcel. But that's ok cause we had no time for Costco when we were there Monday so we can take care of things like toilet paper, cerea, etc. Last nite we ate a fish just caught by Chela's husband and it was yummy. Nothing beats fresh everything! That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment