Sunday, June 17, 2012

OK! I made it! I live in Mexico. This is day one of week two! It actually took us a week to get here but I'm not counting travel time. The travel was it's own adventure, but funny it's quickly fading so I think I'll jot down a little of it. We came thru Santa Teresa cause we were in contact with a guy who works at the border for nationalizing cars, and we couldn't raise anyone at the other borders we were looking at. He told us to send all the required paperwork and it would be ready when we got there. Don't count on this part people! They were very helpful once we arrived, but nothing had been done ahead of time and we sat around for a day and a half at the border. Hot dusty, and for me, minimal Spanish, I couldn't really chat with others sitting around for the same reason. On day 2 we sat for about 5 hours, and my husband had to be with the car, So I sat with the dog, walked the dog, sat sat sat...of course we also got the red light, and of course the whole system went down and the line of cars became 3 deep.
Finally we got on the road! In Mexico- Viva! Pulled over twice in Chihuahua and once in Durango by Federales who all used the strategy that we didn't pay enough for all our stuff. My husband showed them the casa de mansaje  listing and let them know we shouldn't have paid anything (but we did). He thinks they tried it because we were in the desert mountains with nobody around, but that they didn't push him too hard after meeting me cause I was an American (My husband is a Mexican National).  Then on Acapulco we got pulled over a couple of times because of the trailer not having plates (which we had been told to remove at the border), but finally we just put them back on and we were good. So 5 days travel plus 1 1/2 days at the border- we were so happy to get here.

We arrived last Sunday afternoon and the skies were nice enough to hold on until we got the last of the boxes off the truck andout of the trailer. Then they opened with a huge lightening and thunder storm. We know a few people here, and two couples and their families have been wonderful! Monday we got water, Tues gas for cooking and a bank account, Wed we drove to Temetepce about 2 hours away to sign up for tv, phone, internet but came away empty handed. Friday we went to nearby Copala and paid for tv but the hurricane came and we haven't see that guy to install it yet. Today it has stopped raining so maybe he'll come even tho' it's Sunday....

Tomorrow we hope to get Mex lic plates and then we'll drive back to Temetepec for tv- I guess you have to have that up and running before internet, Of course we've heard anywhere from a week to a YEAR to get internet so we'll see. My two neighbors/friends both have internet so I'm using theirs for now.
So I want to end my first post actually in Mexico on a positive note. ha ha let's see- we are covered in bites (my are huge welts), our house is leaking in almost every room, but we are in heaven. We ae eating just caught fish, fresh eggs, and just made tortillas. The other morning having coffee at the meighbors, a school of dolphins AND a school of sharks swam by after sardines- so beautiful! This tiny town is amazing, horses and burros walk around free, and the people are beautiful. Some kids are asking when I'm gonna teach them English....I hope I have a couple of weeks to get settled, including putting stuff away in places that do not have water dripping in! Viva Mexico!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment