Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ok Catching up. Well maybe I'll finish on the last couple of days while they're fresh in my peabrain and then go back to the trip. I left last nite about 7:15 in the middle of my post to look at another house....we liked it, but...

So- let me back up a tiny bit. On day 1 we saw Everardo's friend Nico, who has a sliver and copper (or maybe bronze) gift-y type shop on the malecon (boardwalk). This was after watching the boats and walking along the water and seeing all the dolphins...Nico knew about a house for rent from a guy, an American guy who is not going to be coming down here anymore and basically wants someone living there to protect the house. People steal the copper, all the wiring, stuff like that. He really liked the guy, but I believe he said something about the guy going thru chemo, which I totally understand having gone thru it myself 3 or 4 years ago...so I'm gussing that's why he's not making the trip- he's probly just too tired. Nico said oh the house is so nice and beautiful, and the rent was 2500 pesos (about $200US). We were SO excited, our first day and a score! So- he calls this other guy, Hector and we meet Hector by the house. Well Nico wasn't sure which house it was, as it turns out he hadn't been there, but based on how well he knew the guy, he "knew" what the house would be like. (oh and Nico speaks English pretty good- yes day 1 was so weird cause I understood so many people ha ha...and I saw people who looked like me all over the place- again ha ha, and the last ha ha too bad for Terry- I was no longer special..being the "only one"--in Playa Ventura I was the only blue eyed person...)Anyway-so we are standing on this side street, still paved, and across the street are 3 houses and he thinks it's one of them. There's a school on one corner and an OXXO at the other end (Mexico's 7-11), I think empty lots and maybe a mechanics shop on the side we were standing on. I was very excited, all three houses were completely different but nice. All had a fenced yard, the wrought iron that's everywhere here. Then we saw people in one house, then a second house, ok must be this one on the left.

Then the guy drives up and motions follow me and drives around the corner before the end of the block. So we follow and I am suddenlt sick to my stomach. It looked like crap! Nothing like the other 3; I hated it before I got out of the truck. The gated fence was about 2 inches from the front door. There was a long driveway, tiled actually to the back, where we went in. BUt the yard was overgrown and looked terible, an overhang had a broken area with plaster or something hanging down. We walk into the kitchen from outside and the fridge is standing open- all moldy- YUCK! The house seemed dark to me and the floor was messed up in a spot where I walked into the bedroom. Well the truth is I walked in hating it and don't remember much more. My eyes told Poppi- NO WAY and we left. Nico was embarrarsed cause he was surprised at the condition of the place. So we thank him, and then meet with this woman Sylvia whom I thought was a real estate agent. Ha ha not. But we didn't figure that out until house #2.

She and this guy Denny, who I had found on a Puerto Penasco chat forum while still in Playa Ventura. He was really helpful answering questions about the area, and then said "yes" when I asked if he knew about any rentals- he said oh I know someone who rents houses.....see he never said she was an agent, and it probly wouldn't have mattered to me at the time. What she was, is, is a Jehova Witness. That's fine, I don't care, but the 2 places she took us to where other congregation members she was trying to help. The first house, for 2000 or 2500 pesos was so small, built on some kind of gov't program or something to do with businesses who buy them and let employees after some kind of criteria (maybe length of service) purchase by taking money out of the checks each week. Anyway this was a tiny kitchen and 2 bedrooms, the whole thing with 4 people filled up the whole place. It was just sad. I had to fight for control to not start crying after the first house. Oh and this was one in a row, I thinks "rows" of them all exactly the same, surrounded by dirt basically, or dirt and sand, desert earth. But no business or parks or stores...just sort of out of town...maybe I was just shocked by not seeing anything like it, maybe scared I made ANOTHER huge mistake....Ok we left there and went to another place, bascially a box, which we did not even see inside cause the guy wasn't there, but about 5 feet away was another box with a woman and a bunch of kids and they all knew Sylvia and Denny.

OK time to re-evalutae what we want to spend! We can afford more, even without jobs...So we drove around and looked for places that had for rent signs on them. There are lots! But it was a long day, Sylvia didn't pick us up until 4pm, so it was getting late. So we went to the English speaking AA meeting at 6pm, and wow! What a huge relief!!! WE left there and I felt so much better. Hope returned. It was funny, the whole trip up and that day, Everardo told me to give my worry to my higher power. I asked the Spirit of the Universe to take it. I felt better every time I remembered worry doesn't accomplish anything. The meeting was great, very small, only 4 people besides us, but everybody shared and it was good. So- tried to call this guy who's real estate website I had looked at and copied his number. Ha ha we didn't figure out for hours it was an Arizona number and that's why we couldn't get thru. Oh and this was before the meeting and after Sylvia- we saw a rent sign and Everardo called him while I was trying to get this other guy, who called himself "Rocky Point Dan", because Puerto Penasco is also called Rocky Point. So both us connect at the same time. A guy drives out to where we are sitting under his sign, and Dan asks me to send him an email cause he is in Las Vegas and his associate will help us the next day. So we look at an apartment with the first guy; it's furnished and has a huge fenced yard and a couple of big dogs running around it. So we think well we can do this for a month and take the pressure off while we look for something else. So we tell him we'll get back to him the next day...then off to the meeting, tacos and bed (and by then I've had tacos breakfast lunch and dinner for a few days ha ha)

The next day.there's no email from Rocky Point Dan who had assured me there would be one. So I call and leave him a message, and we go driving around to look at neighborhoods and for houses with for rent signs. ok I'm gonna start a new post cause this one is very long....







No comments:

Post a Comment