Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ok I am officially freezing!! I read on FB from a friend who lives here it was 30 degrees this morning. arrgghh! However, I went on a weather website and was VERY happy to see in the 10 day forecast a change starting tomorrow! I hope it's an actual forecast and not based on previous years! Today it said the high would be 51 degrees. But tomorrow it shows 62, then 69, 69, 71, 70!! Yippee if it's true! Even tomorrow 10 degrees warmer. But I wonder if the number includes the wind? Cause the wind is what is killing us. And today- it's windy. But ooh 10 degrees warmer, pls bring manana. I actually got up and exercised today and that felt good. I started on Jan 1, then did nothing after last Tuesday when the girls were here. They left Sat, but Sun and Monday I just couldn't get up ha ha. So this morning- back to it! Felt good, and the hot shower even better. Now it's cold again. I wanted to sit in the sun and read, but I think it would have to be next to the window ha ha cause the wind seems to be picking up.

I'm thinking about the community center, and wish we could find me a car cause I think I might want to be there more than 2 hours Mon & Wed. If I had my own car I could go Tue-Thurs like Karen wanted in the beginning, but also for a morning and afternoon class. In between I can listen/watch what's going on and see where I can contribute. I have good business sense, I think I'm good with people, I'm sure there's something...

We saw another car yesterday on the side of the road, after the one we saw on Fri or Sat. It was a little smaller and a little cheaper, altho the other one is good, too. So Everardo was supposed to call the guy back around 3:30 after the center, but then the guy was showing someone else the car. He said he'd call us either way so we'd know, but he never called back. So the car is probly gone- but I don't want to call him back, at least for a couple of days or we will appear to eager and lose any bargaining edge...there are tons of cars for sale around here, but we specifically want one with Sonora plates, and the right ones- there are these plates that allow you only to drive the car in this area and maybe up to Sonyta (sono-ee-ta) That's where the border is, about a hour north, maybe a little more. So don't want those plates. Also don't want a truck- lots of those for sale- or anything too new, so the search continues.

Puerto Penasco has about 57 thousand people, I read that statistic but not sure how current it is. That's close to the town we came from in Calif (Petaluma), but there seems to be more here; it's really spread out. I read the average temp year round is 82 degrees, with highs as high as 122 in the summer! But average is simply average, so as I now know, it can get really cold here. Before the 1990's this place was mainly attractive to fisherman, and Arizona college kids, cause of the 18 yr old drinking age. But in the 90's something changed and the hotels and beachfront condos started to appear. The place grew and grew, became a huge resort area. My husband lived here around 2006 (I think) right before the economic crash in the states, and he worked the banana boats, and said the beach was packed from March/April until Nov. He said everybody made money. He is very social and friendly- ha ha I bet he raked it in! Anyway when the houseing market crashed, so did the construction here in Puerto Penasco. There are still condos and hotels that are only partially finished.
I haven't experienced "the season" yet, I'm looking forward to it; but ha ha- mostly cause that means better (warmer) weather. It's an interesting mix, mostly Americans and Mexicans, but others as well, Chinese, French, British, Canadians, etc. And it's funny I guess you can live here and barely interact with the local Mexican people; live in a gated community, or at the beach condos- I say this because I've heard some people talking, not knowing about some things that I already know, after living here a month ha ha. Ah well, to each his own. Is this place different that Playa Ventura? Yes. But some parts of this place are exactly the same. And when we are with Poppi's friends, his Mexican friends that is, it feels just the same. The same traditions, cultural attitudes, the open caring way people are with their families, yeah, the same. So it seems, at least at this early stage, that I can move between cultures here, hey that's a good thing. My Spanish is getting better, and hopefully working with the kids and others at the center will help improve it even more, and....I am very happy going to English speaking AA meetings where I can be myself without struggling to express myself.

Well today we are going to figure out where to pay the water bill. We're not sure why we haven't gotten the electricity bill- hmm probly writing this will make it appear, and we haven't gotten the telephone bill either. Don't really use the landline, but the internet- YES. Yeah found out there's a free app on my IPhone for magic jack so I can talk to the states for free!! So cool! Requires internet, but hey I have that, too! Well better get going...and oh- gonna try to figure out how to add photos to this blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment