Sunday, January 13, 2013

Well our visit was a huge success! The kids have gone home and I miss them so much already. We went to the beach once on high tide and watched Sam splash after the ball, and took lots of pictures. Then we went back to the beach another day when it was low tide and walked along the tide pools picking up amazing shells. Too bad every day was freezing, and the nites, even colder! In fact the news said this was going to be the coldest temps recorded here in 100 years! ha ha only us! From unbearable heat to unbearable cold....But you know what? I don't care! I saw my daughters and now I am ok. Ok with everything. Life is good, how it should be. I am going to figure out how I can see them often, them visiting us and us going up there. Everardo was so happy they were here. He wants them to come back and told them we don't care if they want to go out and get drunk (we don't drink anymore); we have this crazy "secret" room at the far end of the house, next to the street and he told them he'd fix it up for them, they could come and go. They can bring their friends down here.

They were both happy to be here. They both really liked it here, and  was so happy! It's cold and kinda dirty here, our road is sand, not too many people here, kinda quiet. But they liked it and want to ome back. Of course....they found spring break videos on Utube from last year and thought that was very cool. The drinking age is 18, so Halla bought a 6 pack of Tecate at the store, and ordered a margarita at a restaurant. We went to this place called El Capitan for nachos and drinks; it was on a hill overlooking the water, it was a great view (that's where Halla had the margarita), and then out in the parking lot when we were getting in the truck, these Mariachi guys walked up to us and started playing! They played 3 songs, and we loved it. Halla went over and hugged Everardo.

He had gone over the the guys when they were getting out of their van and asked them to play for us. He is SUCH a cool guy! One of the songs Halla really liked, and for some reason both Drewy and I teared up. It was just a perfect day. We started by going to an AA meeting- me and the girls, they aren't in the program but wanted to come with me, and I was happy to introduce them to my friends. Then we went home for breakfast, yummy made by Poppi, and then us girls went down to the malecon to shop, to look for the things we spotted the day before when we were all down there. Everardo had been with us the first day, and at first we wanted him to do the negotiating for the stuff, but after talking to one vendor, he said he didn't feel right cause they would lower the price for them, but then they wouldn't make anything- and these guys were struggling. At this time of year there are no tourists, and the prices were already pretty low. So we went back the next day without Poppi and fended for ourselves. Ha ha the vendors remembered us, one was even calling "Drew Drew", and offering us free tequila shots, trying to get us into their stores....I hate doing that in the places where they hover over you, but a couple of places were not like that at all. One guy the first day asked if I was their grandma! I said ok let's go! ha ha he started apologizing...and he remembered us the next day too.

We had sauteed shrimp & veges one nite, then the next we were going to go to a taco stand cause the girls wanted to do that, but the nachos at El Capitan were so filling (yes great recommendation) that we went home stuffed. However later that nite we decided we had room for pumpkin pie and ice cream- the pie I got in Phoenix before we gt to the airport, so we got stuffed again. But Saturday morning we went to a taco stand for breakfast to make up for it. It's a place Poppi and I found last week, they have great tacos, not too greasy. They actually give them to you with 2 tortillas, then wrapped in paper like a cone. I usually take off one tortilla, but then it gets a little messier ha ha.

We went on Thursday over to Anda & Rich's to see the sunset, have a coffee and cookies, and let them see the ritzy neighborhood. And and Rich live i a condo over the garage of this amazing house and it's right on the beach. Different than us on the bech though; cause the water has no waves, no crashing sounds, it's quiet and peaceful. There were cranes (or herons not sure which), and pelicans of course, it's a really nice spot. Playa Ventura was very peaceful, but the waves made it more, ...well dynamic I guess. After a while you stop noticing that it's loud ALL the time, except at nite you still heard it. I LOVE the quiet here. And I know it's quiet out at their place, but you still have the problems with the salt on everything ha ha. Anyway, I wanted to show them all the sides here; we drove around their neighborhood looking at all these fantastic houses, and then on Saturday afternoon we drove thru the not so great neighborhoods, the area where people are really struggling. Houses made of cardboard, random pieces of wood, and lots of them had the sky tv dishes- looked kinda weird. But I wanted them to get a complete picture of the area. We saw the hotels, the condos by the beach, the tiny box houses in a row that the gov't built, the gated communities, and our neighborhoods. We are sort of in the middle, status wise and location wise, our area is called el centro. And we live with Mexicans, with locals. The condos and gated communities are mostly Americans, the hotels and some condos are tourists, and the dilapidated areas and gov't houses are mostly Mexican. I guess we travel in all the circles.

So we had a great visit. Then Pam, my wonderful friend who loves loves loves to drive, drove us all back up to Phoenix. We stopped in a Starbucks for a coffee and a snack, then on to the airport. We ried a little...and then they were goen.

I got to talk to them together and one on one. Drewy and I are already so close, I love our relationship. Halla and I have finally gotten to that place! On this visit! She opened up to me about her most private thoughts and feelings. She trusts me and loves me. I love her so much. We found each other and I am sooooooo happy. We will never lose each other again. I know, she was a teenager, and it happens between moms and daughters, but then later we become closer than any other bond. I am so proud of both my babies. They are so strong, so beautiful inside and out, if they were someone else's. I'd be envious! I told them wow, what if I hadn't been a drunk- you might be astro physicists or something- they laughed, & Halla said yeah and I wouldn't have any friends! They are happy just the way they are.

I wasn't a falling down drunk, unaware of their existence, I always packed their lunches, washed their clothes, checked their homework, but in my heart of hearts I know that I drank alot, and in my selfishness, I missed alot. I was at every school event, and proud, but was I 100% there? I always say I thank God nothing ever happened in the middle of the nite when my sleep was actually drunk passed out. And thank God for my ex husband who was aware, who was not sleeping drunk. Well it is what it is. It's part of the reason I go to lots of AA meetings even though I haven't had a drink in almost 12 years. (next month) If there's a new person, a young woman, maybe with kids or planning to, I can share my experience and maybe help them to choose a different lifestyle for themselves. Maybe someone who is just like me, and needs to know they are not alone, that hating yourself for your bad choices like drinking too much, helps no one, especially not yourself, or your kids. We have to find hope. I am SO lucky I never hurt anyone, physically I mean, with my drunk driving or drunk actions. Of course I hurt people mentally, my now ex husband, mu kids, friends, family, etc. We are a tidal wave crashing thru urloved ones lives, thru anyone's life we touch, bosses, coworkers, strangers in the store, etc. So it's a miracle and I am so grateful for my children and how wonderful they are. I almost said, in spite of me. But that's not true. I did some things good. And they certainly inherited my sarcasm, my sense of humor, and yes, my stubborn streak haha. Their beauty comes from their beautiful spirits, and I am excited to see what comes next for them.

So now we are just us again, Poppi, me, and Sam. Sam slept on the bed with Drew, then with Halla, he loves his sisters. I stayed home all day today, in my pajamas, reading, looking at the pictures we took while they were here, watching movies. For dinner we had beans and shrimp- it was so yummy. We had purchased comforters for the girls; Halla's had a tiger on it and Drew's a peacock. They wanted to take them home, but after shopping, much shopping, their suitcases were full and so were their arms, so the blankets stayed here. This morning I put the peacock comforter on my bed, and it looks really nice, brightens up the room.

I miss them so much already, on the way home from the airport Pam let me talk and talk about them...but we will see the again soon.....viva!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment