Thursday, March 21, 2013

I am so happy...ok now say it like an Italian pizza maker...."ima so appy". Last nite I went to the women's meeting (AA) in Spanish. It's at 5pm and lasts an hour and a half, like all Spanish meetings (the English meetings are just 1 hour). Anyway I was a little intimidated about going, but decided it was time. It was a very small meeting, but I knew one woman who was there! She remembered me from the meeting that Everardo was going to down on the malecon every day at 5pm, and I also saw her once at another meeting in the evening- that's the thing, almost all of the Spanish meetings are at night; usually 8-9:30pm, and I think there's even one at 10pm. Most nites I like to be home at 8pm.

Ok so anyway- I went to the meeting, and the first person to share was the lady I knew...and I understood EVERYTHING she said!! I was so amazed at myself (ha ha) that I almost missed some of it cause I started thinking about how I could understand her....and then realized I wasn't listening...ha ha my peabrain is a dangerous place. It was so so so so cool! Of course then the next woman shared and I understood zero! She spoke really fast....then the next one- well I understood a little bit. The first lady spoke slowly- for me. I got up and shared, too. Not for the full 15 minutes, this takes some getting used to. It's about 5 minutes in the English meetings. But these are mostly small groups and you speak for 15 minutes, so an hour and a half is only 4 or 5 people because there is the opening and the closing stuff. It was really great.

After that we picked up the cable so we can connect our laptops to the tv and watch movies. Yeah we found this website where you can watch movies for free. New movies. A few weeks back I watched Flight and Silver Lining Playbook, which both came out in late 2012 and were both nominated for some awards. They were both great. But I watched them on my laptop only- I wouldn't mind watching Flight again since I love Denzel, and I think Everardo would really like the movie. He's pretty tired when he gets home from walking all over the beaches and other tourist areas all day, so mostly we just have the tv on and are both on our laptops. He plays a couple of games; Farmville or Cityville I think, and he also plays chess. We both have facebook accounts and he has been finding family all over the place. His oldest brother lives outside Juarez, and has kids, and he has been chatting with at least one nephew and one niece, then he also talks to his niece in Michocan- that's his sister's daughter, and I think he's really happy being able to chat with them all. We have a nice picture of him with his brother who lives in Morelia (Michocan), one of our friend's here printed it out as an 8x10 and we framed it and it's on the wall, along with some framed photos from when the girls were here. I think hubby is pretty happy these days....

Ok  today I had Spanish class with Isabel and it was good. She gave me all these phrases that are very commonly used. Some of them cannot be translated literally- you just have to learn them. But they were good conversation starters, like talking about the weather, a new job, etc. Then how to say- oh that reminds me, so you can change the subject, and things like -what were we talking about? Or -as I was saying- I need to memorize them, cause I wanted to use them later on today out at the center for my English class, but of course I couldn't remember any of them. But tonite on tv, I heard one of them..oh yeah-I'm gettin' it! Next week I have to have Spanish 2 days in a row cause she will be busy later in the week with a beer concession stand since Semana Santa is starting, but that's ok, I'm totally into doing my tarea (homework).

So in the afternoon I was out at the community center for English class and did it completely different. I brought out a bunch of fruit; grapes, apples (red & green), pears, strawberries, cantaloupe, oranges, lemons, and lines. I brought paper plates and plastic sliverware & cups. And napkins Everybody got some of everything, and then I asked questions about what everything was called in English. I asked specific people what they had on their plate, or how many of something. Then I asked one person about what was on another person's plate. Before they came into class I wrote the names of all the fruits and the utensils on board in English only. Anyway it was a fun class, everybody was talking to each other and trying to answe questions, and I wrote what people said on the board and we talked about present and past. The time flew by. I just wanted to have a fun day, since I think it's hard to sit and recite words for the sounds of the vowells...but I can really tell who practices at home!

I came home exhuasted. Too tired to take poor Sam to the park or the beach. But when Poppi came home first he threw the ball out in the street for him, and then later he took him for a ride in the truck cause we needed water. And I take him every day, so one day he can survive. I just come home wiped out on Tue and Thurs. I think exercising first thing, then 2 hours of Spanish, really trying to concentrate and learn, then get out to the center for and hour and a half of English; which is also hard trying to explain so many little things...like Spanish verbs conjugate in a future tense so you don't need a word for "will". I will do it tomorrow- well in espanol, will do (future) is all one word- the verb...But we had a good laugh with an American asking if they can pay tomorrow- I will pay you tomorrow- to ride Manuel's banana boat...and to answer..NO please pay me now!. Manuel has a banana boat and a couple of jet skis and that's why he wants to learn English. He speaks some and both he and Rueben help me and help the others. Rueben is great cause he is always happy and helping the others, and me to. Manuel taught me Hizlo! (Do it!) today. So I enjoy both of my classes but they both tire out my tiny brain ha ha.

So I came home, made a peanut butter sandwich, laid on the couch with my book, and promptly took a nap. Tomorrow I have neither class, but I will spend time studying and trying to memorize those phrases. The English class is helping my Spanish alot, and so will the women's meeting. I was just watching a novela (Spanish soap opera), which they have lots of, all the time, and on 3 or 4 channels. They are different than in the US cause one novela is on for a few months and then it's over. Then a new one starts. But I understood some of it, too! So it's coming folks!

Tomorrow I will take Sam for extra long whether it's the beach or the park. He loves the beach, but he also loves the park- I think he is so happy to be on grass. He rolls on it, eats it, smells it...and lots of times there are kids who appear and want to throw the ball for him and pet him and sit with him so he gets lots of attention. Silly dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment