Saturday, May 25, 2013

A United States holiday is good for Mexican border towns! At least this one, anyway. Puerto Penasco is not really a border town, but it's only a little more than an hour south of the border, and it's a beach town, so it makes for a great touristy vacation spot- especially for the 3 day weekends like this one (Memorial Day). I actually thought it was next week until about Thursday...but since last nite, it's pretty busy around here. I went down to the Malecon (boardwalk) this morning for an AA meeting; on Saturday it's down there, on the roof of a business- with a patio and a beautiful ocean view. Anyway getting down there I realized there was so much traffic and it was only about 9:15am...amazingly though, a car pulled out and I got a spot right in front of the place. Which ended up no mattering cause there was nobody there. Ah well (I have a feeling nobody goes to that meeting and I had just expected it to be there) So I stood there for a few minutes, looking at the water, then back across the street to see these kids (ok 20's maybe) drinking and dancing on the roof patio of whatever bar/restaurant that was. Remember it was only 9:15 am!

So the party was on. I drove thru the malecon and saw there were lots of tourists already on their buying sprees and I was happy cause Everardo left for the beach at 9am with his display case full of stuff. I drove home to get Sam and took him to the park to throw the ball, and Everardo called and by 10am had already made more than $100 USD! By the end of the day he had made about $250 or $300 I think, and there's still 2 days to go on this holiday weekend. (yipee) Sam and I stayed in the park for about and hour, and then we went for a drive around town. Another week and a half and we will have been here for 6 months, and in Mexico for a year! I'm getting to know Puerto Penasco pretty good- it has so many different neighborhoods and little stores, segundas (second hand stuff), oh and boats- so many boats! Today I saw a huge boat being pulled behind a pickup truck...and wondered when are they too big and need like a semi or something? We drove thru the docks; not much going on there- it was close to noon and any boats that had come in had already off loaded their catch and any boats going out, well they were out. But lots of people milling around. Then I drove along the coast to those neighborhoods, winding in a little first to an area I hadn't seen, then towards the very first place we rented. Yeah the place we rented for a month and stayed in for one day. But today it was easy to find, and now I understand where it is better. Then I drove by a place we had wanted to rent, but had hesitated cause we would have had to buy a stove...and the neighbors had to walk thru our backyard to get to their house....and there was a house across the street for sale. ha ha I drove past it twice- as if we could buy a house here right now! NOT! There were so many of the dune buggys on the road. They have rental places all over- are they still called dune buggys? I mean you can drive them on the street and on the beach. Some of them are so loud, some are just like regular cars. And in Mexico, seat belts may be the new law, but nobody follows it. You see cars packed with people, kids on the dashboards, crawling all over the car. I think maybe the cops enforce it if they need some lunch money ha ha. I'm probly kidding....I never see them pull over families, only kids and sometimes tourists. But they are pretty lax with the tourists; I guess the tourists pay for life around here....I heard that the cartel in this area has an agreement with the cops. They don't sell drugs to tourists....

Then I drove back to our side of town and drove past the very first place we looked at here; the place that made me cry. Well actually I cried after going around with the first lady we got set up with to see rentals. We figured out later she took us only to places of her friends and fellow worshipers of Jehovah Witness, (h ha) and only in San Rafael. Anyway the first place I said no before being inside 2 minutes, I actually said no before we went in. My perception at the time: First, we were waiting around the corner for the key, in front of these 3 houses in a row and I loved them all and thought one of them was the house we were going to see. Again- not! So we go around the corner and I see this sad house with a fence around it that's about 6 inches from the front door. Inside the fridge was hanging open and gross, and in one room I saw some paper hanging from the ceiling. But the yard was nice, shady and big and along the side was actually a long driveway, inside the fence. So like I said I never even looked at it- hated it before I step foot in it. But now, now that I understand the culture here a little bit better, now that I understand the layout of the town, well I decided to drive by, oh and it's right next to the track and the sports fields. Well that fence is not 6 inches from the front door (yeah I gotta go back to my Dec entries and see what I thought...) the place has a front porch across the whole front of the house, the fence is after that. Everybody has a fence here. So I have come to value the fences, and for sure really value that big yard in the back and all the shade. So honestly, I want to see inside that house again. I think the rent was $300 or maybe even $350, but back in Dec Poppi was sure he could get it lower. I do remember part of the layout was a big square kitchen that looked out into a big living room that probly was also the dining room, I saw only one bedroom and no bathrooms. Yep I do still want to see it again. One thing though, Everardo showed me the roof on this place- cause guess what- this idea of looking at it again has been in my brain for awhile now....and he showed me how it has no insulation in the roof- that it will be sooooo hot in there when it gets hot. That this place, for all it's shabbiness, has a good roof...so...well we'll see. I'm not sure if I'm even going to bring it up. nope- I will- I just wanna SEE inside it. Man am I pathetic or what?
Then we drove around a little bit more, me just seeing how things connect here. It's a funny shape- like a big triangle- or a piece of pizza ha ha. There are a LOT of people down here this weekend. We came home and the house was cooler inside than outside so me and Sam came in and plopped down. He was a happy dog for the park and going for a ride- he loves to just hand that head out the side in the back of the truck. I'm trying to make a new plan for my English classes, using the conversation in the book I got from Pam, and then make a bunch of other phrases that would work so somebody could actually contribute to a conversation, since I remember just wishing someone would ask or say exactly what I had learned so I knew what to say! ha ha ha ha. So I worked on that a little bit, planning to go to the track later when it cooled down and Everardo was home.

Ha ha best laid plans...we did not go to the track for walking and him running tonite. But we did go to this fantastic tacos Poblano place that's right down the street for dinner and pigged out. Everardo made some more earrings, and got ready to go out tomorrow. But he gave me a pair of dragonflies and a pair that is the cancer ribbon that say HOPE in tiny letters that he made. See? In the end it all comes back to HOPE. Viva!


No comments:

Post a Comment