Thursday, May 23, 2013

Just a short one cause I think I am soooo funny. We went down to the track tonite and Poppi ran for half an hour with Sam while I walked, then he passed Sam off to me for a couple of laps, then he went to the area where you can do a workout; pushups, sit up, pull up, etc., so Sam went over there to lay down while I finished my hour of walking and rocking out ha ha. So when we were both done and walking towards the parking area but still on the track, a couple of young women knda flinched as Sam came by next to Everardo, and I said.."El es muy tranquilo" meaning 'he is very gentle/nice' cause I knew they were startled by Sam. But laughing to myself, and only in my head I said..."y el perro tambien" meaning 'and the dog, too'...Ha ha I thought I was too funny and nobody knew it but me!

It was nice to get out there and walk after feeling so crappy yesterday. This place is packed! I think on Tuesday nite there had to have been over 300 people there! As I stepped onto the track I counted past 50 for people on the track, then 2 teams of older kids playing soccer in the middle, tons of people watching, then on the outside of the track there were at least 3 practices going on for peewee kids, a volleyball game, etc. And it's like this every nite. Tonite the game inside the track was being played by adults, but kid games and peewee games were going on in the surrounding fields. They have big satdium lights around the track and when we left tonite around 8:30 they were still on. The game in the middle was over, but people were in the little workout areas, and the practices still going on. It's all about nighttime here in Mexico. Right before we drove over there, there was another high school parade, this one right on Simon Morua, which is the main street we live off of, and we are only 2 houses in, so it was noisy and Sam and I went out to watch.

I had English class today but not Spanish class. Our new teacher, Laurie has a sinus infection, but I'm thinking she'll be good to go by next Tuesday (fingers crossed). I missed class yesterday at the center cause of my lovely migraine, but was there today. Had a small class; 5 or 6, 2 from the more advanced class and 3-4 from the beginner class. I'm hoping everybody gets back into the swing of classes next week. Cause it feels like it all changed since I got back. And I think maybe that's what happens around here. And I'm ok with that, I think I'm becoming a better teacher; today I tried to expand on the lesson I found in a book that I liked- it was about saying hello and what's your name, and good bye. It had a list of words, a small conversation, then a small story. So I tried to expand the conversation by showing different ways to say hi, that when your name is asked, you ask back, the same with how are you....I think we made a more real conversation, even though it was small. With the other class I have something similar with going out to a restaurant for breakfast, and I'm gonna do the same thing- make it a more "real" conversation. The only thing I feel bad about is the secret project, cause there may not be enough of the original class left who practiced it, to do the presentation...well I can only do what I can do...I just really wanted to do it for Karen & Mark, who would understand how cool it is. But if not, well I learned yet another lesson..which I should have known better than to have taken so long with one thing the way people come and go out there....
But I love being there, and always go home feeling better then when I got there- hey kinda like an AA meeting ha ha.
Ok I'll finish with this- we DO have to pay garbage! The thing is, when they came by we were home and tipped them so they took it! Now it doesn't get picked up at all. I did hear nobody's was getting picked up for over a month, but then last week I saw a couple of trucks in our neighborhood, but ours didn't get picked up. It's super cheap, and we're gonna go down to the city office and pay up- even though Mark out at the center has been amazing by telling us to bring our trash out there since he goes to the dump every 10 days and it only costs him about 20 pesos...
hmmm 2 posts in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment