Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It's getting kinda Christmasy around here. People are putting up decorations and at nite their houses are all lit up. Not all the houses by any means, but here and there. It's nice. I have unpacked so much stuff, and Everardo built a couple of shelves today, and then we bought a brand new dresser on the side of the road for the equivalent of about $46 USD, that I might, just might, put up some decorations here in the house.

Yeah him making those shelves helps alot! I can't keep unpacking with no place toput stuff and I have alot of knicky knacks. Actually one bookshelf he built this morning was supposed to be for my clothes, and I bought a couple of plasic boxes for the top shelf for underwear and socks, but then we spotted the dresser on the way home from Chinese food, after dark. But we got home and it actually goes with the room. So the chinese food sucked- big time. The red stuff they give you with the appetizer, kinda sweet, on the won tons, or whatever crispy thing they give you, or eggrolls. Anyway it was red...ha ha it was ketchup. I'm guessing there's a better Chinese food place here in Pto Penasco, but we'll have to look for it. We were driving home for the store after getting more hangers for clothes, a couple of comforters for watching tv and the middle of the nite when it is really cold, the aforementioned plastic boxes, some super glue fot a couple of items that had a bumpy ride up here from Playa Ventura, and some candy for a pinanta for a posada tomorrow nite, ....and we drove a couple of new roads just for grins and to have a  look, when we spotted a Chines food place. So we said what the hell, lets give it a try, laughing because after o on the way home from there- and HEY! I just realized we didn't get fortune cookies!- anyway we saw some furniture on the sidewalk, so we slowed down.

Now furniture on the sidewalk is not a novel site. This town is king of the garage sales & flea markets. People just hang clothes on their gates & fences, put stuff in their driveways and the sidewalks every day, all the time. And you can literally find anything. Not sure if I already said this, but a guy offered Everardo a house for sale at a flea market! $40K I think it was...We bought a fridge the other day from the sidewalk, but actually ended up geting it from a woman who wanted the sidewalk guy to buy it, a couch from a second hand store along with a toaster, and now a dresser. The thing is, wood os more expensive up here than down in Guerrero, and it's much drier, not as good. He spit a couple of pices today that made them unusable. So we spent less on the dresser than we did on the wood, and I wanted more shelves built. He did build a tall one and a shorter long one with the wood he had, so both of those will hold knick knacks and photos...It's nice to have a truck, we just pulled up, had a conversation with the guy, and threw the dresser in the back. Poof done.

So yesterday was my birthday. We ate the octopus for lunch, Poppi made a kind of cerviche at first, then changed it up to a soup. I was not nuts about it. Too rubbery. I think maybe cut in strips and dipped in egg and cracker crumbs and fried? Not sure, gotta google it for next time. Later we went out to get me a birthday cake and ice cream- ooh the ice cream I fogot, gotta get a bowl right now. Ok back, so we went out and decided to try the sushi place. Ha ha sounds wonderful? And oh yeah the Sky tv guy came and yipee we have tv...ha ha of course small issue. The cable box thinks we are still in Guerrero so the time is an hour ahead. That would be fine- so what right? But the shows are also on an hour early, kinda weird. We called this morning, and wow- yes wow- 2 guys actually showed up at our house!! But they were stymied- they had no idea why it was doing that...same as both people on the phone we talked to. But they decided it was because the box hadn't been "actualized", and said they initiate that process as soon as they got back to the office. ha ha ha ha so in 3 or 4 days when it isn't fixed we'll call again. Maybe they'll just switch out the box, or maybe someone who works there will actually know what to do cause it's not new- when you change locations you take the box with you...

Ok so we sent to sushi...it was horrible terrible ok laughable. It came out on these huge hamburger patty size blobs of rice, with the thinnest piece of salmon you ever saw. And somehow the server said, si, si, si,si, si,.....but only the first and last si were actual acknowledged. Cause I ordered 2 orders of about 5 things, and then a roll.  We got 2 pieces of sushi, salmon and maybe halibut, and the roll. As it turns out, that was fine since the huge rice patties would have stacked up and we would have gone home hungry. We went home hungry but not broke...We stopped at a place called Candy Cake and looked for a birthday cake, but the truth is Everardo doesn't really like cake and if we bought a regular cake, I would eat the whole thing in a couple of days....so I got a tiny oreo cookie cake, and some chocolate and vanilla ice cream.  I love to have any flavor, and vanilla on the bottom so that;s what I finish with. I got tons of birthday wishes on facebook and talked with both my daughters. My brother and sister both wrote nice emails that I haven't replied to yet, so it was a nice day all around.

So lastly I'll tell about the huge Christmas thing going on down the street at the big church. Lots of fireworks and music, the street is blocked off and I suspect there's lots of food and I know there's dancing. The big celebration is tomorrow, the 12th, for the Virgin of Guadalupe so we'll probly go down there. I'm happy to say that Sam was not freaking out from the fireworks booming and that's a good thing, he must be finally getting used to it and understand it won't hurt him. In Playa Ventura he really got scared, poor baby. But he and I went for a small walk tonite and they were going off really loudly and he was fine. Our road is a nice wide road, and not busy at all; I'm starting to explore a little, and am actually recognizing routes. Ha ha yippee cause in a couple of months when this town starts filling up I'll be able to use all the side streets.....








No comments:

Post a Comment