Sunday, December 9, 2012

Ok now I am current! Today was nice. Went to a meeting at 9am and it was a guy's 13 year sobriety birthday so there was cake....mmmm chocolate cake with whip cream and a cup of coffee. I was in my own fantasy and missed much of what was said ha ha. On the way home stopped for a taco breakfast at one of the many many stands. Some are only open at nite from like 6-8pm, some only in the morning like this one. He said see these people, they're regulars, and when I said well we could become regulars, I like this place...he said we have lots of places to check out and see which ones we want for our "regular" places...anyway I really like this place- the tacos were so good, and he had some kind of thing in a bowl with tortillas on the side- I kinda thought it tasted the same as mine...

Then in the afternoon, after some unpacking, it's getting down there, but until Everardo is able to make the 3 bookcases, our clothes are kinda stuffed everywhere. I want 2 bookcases for our bedroom and we'll put our clothes on the shevles, and I'll use small plastic boxes on the top shelf for socks and underwear. It's crazy to but dressers when we won't take them back to the states in a couple of years or whenever we decide to go. And here it's ok that they sit in the air, not like Playa Ventura ha ha where literally everything has to be covered up all the time or it will be rusty or rotted or just grimy from the salt. The bookcases he built in Playa Ventura were great; I used them for books, but I had one in the bedroom for all the bathroom stuff...Anyway he's very good at building things but I do NOT want him being the project guy again, except on stuff he chooses to do. So he's going to try to get wood tomorrow, but we also have to wait for the Sky tv guy and hopefully get to Telmex for internet, so vamos a ver.

Yeah we waited all day Friday and all day Saturday for the Sky tv guy, and after saying on Sat he'd be herein the morning, then 1pm then 4pm, we left a liitke after 5pm cause we had this dinner thing, and the guy called at 6:30...and wanted to meet us...and it was already dark..Poppi said no way so we begin again tomorrow..and we don't want to go to Telmex and miss him, so we have to do one thing at a time. We're still using the neighbor's internet with her permission but we need to get our own this week.

So the dinner...well not sure what I was thinking, but it was a disappointment to say the least. ha ha yeah what WAS I thinking. We get there and it says something like weekend ministries. These people are renovating this old abandoned hotel, and I thought it was for housing for the poor... well it's for people to come down from the states- mostly Arizona I think and do community service for a weekend. It costs like $39 to stay all weekend including food. You have church-y stuff, then out to do your service. And this is where- for me- I had a problem with it. Their "service" was building churches! HA! Churches? I don't think Mexico, and Pto Penasco in particular need anymore churches. There are people who need shelter, need food, need fresh water. So I was kind of uncomfortable. I mean I guess the weekenders had/have good intentions, but to me, misguided. I did hear about the kids getting involved in learning craft making and there are these craft fairs for tourists every couple of weeks and they can make some pretty good money. But, the kids were learning this stiff while their parents were...building churches..and maybe there's pieces I don't see or understand, altho' I totally understand somebody is making some serious money and it's not poor Mexican....get my drift? But like I said maybe I'm missing something. We went as guests of this couple I really like and I like their enthusiasm and commitment to the community. The guy, Richard was telling us about bringing water out to this area that is nicknamed "the invasion" or something like that. (in fact hearing about this, bringing fresh water out to this place is why I was interested i the first place but apprently that's either not connected to this or- well I'm just not sure). So this area (invasion) is a place that is inhabited by all these workers from other states like Chiappas, Michocan, Durango, etc, who came up for all the jobs building hotel, condos, etc. There was tons of work. Then the US economy tanked, and so did Puerto Penasco's. These people were suddenly out of work, and nothing to go home to, so they simply stayed. I'm hearing this area has no water and no electricity (and I had the arrogance to complain I have to wait a few days for internet and tv- just a little humbling eh?), anyway Richard was hauling fresh water out there and then something about giving kids a ride to school- THIS is what I was interested in, but I remain unclear of who he was involved with during this and I plan to ask him. I'd like to contribute my time/help in my community and I think here there is a lot of need and a lot of opportunity....so we'll see.

So.....after we ate, we left, we did not stay for the Christian music program or anything else. BUt it was an experience, and although I am not interested in joining anything with that group, I did hear a few things that I am interested in so again, vamos a ver...

There are so many building here that are unfinished, in all stages; some almost done, some barley started. Tons of places for rent and/or sale, both commercial and residential. And I hear different things about whether it's starting to recover, to pick up, so it will be interesting going forward. I guess I'm happy we got here while it's quiet, well relatively quiet ha ha, lots of Christmasy stuff going on, streets blocked every day with one march or parade or another. There's a big church down the road that has been very busy and in a couple of day (Dec 12 ) is the day of the Virgin of Guadalupe, which apparently is a huge festival, so we may wander down that way for that one.

Ok we finished off today taking Sam to the beach to run around. It was low tide again and so you can walk on these rocks, or maybe it's coral, and there's tide pools all around, pretty cool, and the water is shallow way out. There were thousands of birds all diving down in this one spot so there must of been a huge school of fish, and there weren't any waves, It's not open ocean so the water sort of laps in...You could see the birds grabbing fish! Then some boats came thru, a fishing boat and the a sail boat just as the sun was setting. I am very happy to report that there are very beautiful sunsets here just like in Playa Ventura where the sunsets would take my breath away...every single day! So Poppi bought some octopus from an old man on the beach and we brought them home live...gonna have a feast. We posted pics of them on facebook; I need to figure out how to add pictures to this blog! Now the evening is cool, we'll sleep with a blanket (very nice after 6 months of sweating all nite and tossing and turning). It's nice to roll over and snuggle with Poppin in my sleep or barely awake, I miised that when it was so hot all nite every nite. I am sleeping so much better just in the last week.

I loved Playa Ventura, but again, it should have stayed a vacation spot. It's like if you love chocolate cake with chocolate frosting...if you eat the whole cake, it's just not that great!! I feel like I have found myself again, I know it's lots of things...being in a bigger place, hearing English at least a little bit, not sweating ALL the time, getting to go to AA, ha ha not being afraid to drive here...not feeling isolated...
So time will tell. I really like this house even though it is falling apart ha ha, but not our job to fix it since we are only renters...I like the layout, I like the kitchen in the house, not across the patio when I want a snack in my pjs ha ha. Oh and I like that we can go out at nite! In Playa Ventura once the sun goes down you need to be home' well you can go to your neighbors, but not to the store which is in the next town, or to a meeting. Here it's safe. I heard there's some guy (low profile cartel type) who has laid down the law, leave tourists, visitors and the general public alone or deal with him. hmmm sounds good to me...Of course in Guerrero all the killings and stuff was happening between the bad guys, and if police got killed it was usually (maybe always?) because they were in bed with the bad guys. Unfortunately there are alot of corrupt police, both federales and state police. But I do know there were also some kidnappings...and also some vigilantes who chopped off the heads of some kidnappers right near where we lived, so the bottom line was we were careful and stayed home at nite. And I not sure if up here it's safe to travel at nite between cities, out on the highways, but Pto Penasco is big enough that whatever we need should be right here...like ice cream...I am craving ice cream...

No comments:

Post a Comment