Tuesday, February 19, 2013

OK I'm still sick, but so much better than even yesterday. Sat, Sun & Mon are all sort of a hazy dream. Yesterday I went to the doctor and that was weird, too. In Guerrero I really liked the doctor I saw, only saw him twice, but I felt safe, never questioned anything he said or gave me. This guy, not so much. Maybe I was impressed in Guerrero but the humbleness of this doctor, his father was a doctor, too, and whenever we went to Copala, the next town from us, where he practiced, we would see them sitting on the porch of their place. Like most people, their business was the front part of their house. They were both so...calm, and caring. This guy yesterday just seemed very full of himself, arrogant...ha ha maybe like md's in the states? No- that's an unfair statement. I love my oncologist, and I had a doctor for many many years, Dr Cooper who I loved. You know, his name was J. Wayne Cooper and the J. was for John! His wife was his nurse and I loved them both. He retired a few years back, right around the time I changed to Kaiser. My oncologist is Kaiser and I like him. I've never had a doctor for too long since I've had Kaiser, maybe cause I don't go to the doctor too much, except when I got diagnosed with breats cancer in 2009. Ha ha that poor oncolgist..funny I can't remember his name right now..wait- Dr Maloney...

Poor guy- I had to have a lumpectomy and then it was analyzed (I guess that's the word), and sent to him. He started talking about the cancer, what it meant and that I needed to have chemo and radiation. He started to go on and I said WAIT. I need to ask YOU some questions. Haha he was surprised but said go ahead. I asked him how old he was..I didn;t want Doogie Howser deciding my fate. I asked him where he went to medical school, and I asked him- most important to me- why did you choose oncology? Were all the cool things gone and you got stuck with it? Why? He got pretty passionate then and told me he was always interested in oncology and (something else don't remember), and he always wanted to do this. That's what I was waiting to hear. I said "ok you may proceed". A few days later I apologized, told him when I get scared, I go on the offensive and look for info. He laughed and said it was fine. Oh and I also asked him, if it was your wife? And he said he would prescribe the exact same thing. So ok, the start of a beautiful doctor patient relationship ha ha.

Ok so yesterday, the doctor was engaging, funny, he spoke 14 languages he told me. He listened to my breathing, my chest; I was wheezing, and I agreed with him I had fluid in there- ok enter secret fear of my dad going to the doctor with maybe pneumonia and it being lung cancer with lungs full of fluid, and he gave me a weird shot that he said would clear my congestion- which it did. I stopped wheezing and my chest feels clear. But every time I cough it's like chards of glass in my throat. Anyway he said as he gave me the shot, it takes 25 seconds to interact, then you will feel prickly in your head and your genital area. Wow it was true! I said how long and he said 10 seconds and you can scratch! I crossed my legs and counted backwards from 10 and it stopped. Both Poppi and the dr agreed my color came back in just a few minutes. And my lungs are clear. But there was still something about him. Anyway so I asked him to write down the drugs I took. Oh he also gave Everardo a shot in his shoulder for the pain he's had since we moved up here. He's had it before and gets some kind of a B12, and steroid shot..dono duberion or something like that. I had a shot in my hip 2 years ago when I was here and it totally fixed me up.

He also gave me the shot in the butt and the 7 days of antibiotics I got both times in Guerrero- once for food poisoning (the water actually) and once for the bacteria I also got from the water- this coming down from the hills. Anyway I think maybe it's why I got the first shot, cause I looked it up when I got home. It said it was a very strong drug for killing batcteria that other drugs wouldn't kill. It also said it was NOT for colds or flu. I mean it actually said that! That was on the Mayo Clinic website so I kinda believe it. So I'm thinking that while he couldn't fix my flu (which I knew going in) he could make sure nothing else was going on. But he wanted me to come back today and get a second shot. He said it was based on my weight, that I was heavy and so needed a bigger dose but he didn't want to give it to me all at once. Ok thanx I guess. But I didn't like the side effects I read about- that it can cause kidney problems and can affect your hearing. So- I'm not going back.

One interesting thing- as he wrote up the prescription- he lit up a cigarette! Wow now that was weird. Anyway he wanted us to go pick up my scrip and the stuff for Everardo's injection at the pharmacy, so as we walked out, I was smiling and he looked at me and I said well I never seen a doctor smoking, and he laughed and said he was the only one. I said that's definitely going in my blog. He laughed. When we got back and he gave my my pills and asked how I was feeling- actually a bit better- that was when I asked how to spell the drug he gave me, that I was taking Arimidex, and after chemo I wanted to know what I was taking. I mean yeah chemo was right- but the truth is, it's poison. Yes sir may I have another? So it's the risk I want to understand. So then he asked me if I wanted to know how/why I got cancer. I said yes of course. He told me about a book by Bernie Seagal called Love Nedicine Miracles and said I got cancer because of negative thoughts and actions. That we need to take care of ourselves and not worry about what we can't change,,,started to sound like he was in AA cause some of what he said I learned there. Then he said like my rude comment about him smoking- that I had no respect. That I should worry about myself not try to fix him. So- this is NOT when I decided not to go back- I already was uneasy enough to ask him to write down the name of the drug he injected me with. I already noticed that I didn't feel all that comfortable with him. The truth is him smoking is none of my business...well kinda..

Ok here's where I am with that. He's a fucking doctor. He should know better. And if he doesn't care about himself, does he really have true empathy for his patients? And what about the doctor thing- First do no harm? Or however that one goes. The truth is smoking hurts everyone! Second hand smoke?? I was in his office wheezing for God's sake- and he lights up a smoke? Now that's what I call arrogant. If I have to go to the doctor again, well there's lots to choose from and I'll ask someone I know...yeah Everado asked someone for this guy, but not somebody I know, and well, I just didn't like him. Now the good news is, it cost me about $25 USD- and that was for 2 shots and the exam. No appt, just walk in. And of course no insurance. I say again- WTF with the US and health care? Get rid of all the insurance companies, and for the pharmaceutical companies-hmm where does Canada and Mexico (and MANY other countries) but their drugs? Cause they just ain't that expensive.Oh so last nite I threw up, took a sleeping pill made of only natural ingredients, and still couldn't sleep...maybe about 3 am fell into a tossy turny sleep, but today just sore throat, stuff head, so I'm on the mend. Yuck enough sick talk!





No comments:

Post a Comment