Tuesday, February 26, 2013

ok today was pretty cool. Went to my first Spanish lesson from 9-11am. Only one other guy was there plus the teacher, altho she says we'll have 2 more on Thursday. We did some pronoun stuff, and altho the first stuff was pretty straightforward, the seocnd part was harder and I'll have to study tomorrow- the tuyos and suyos got to me. Carlos, the other guy, seemed to get stuck in the same places as me, so that was good. I think I'm really going to like this. I am feeling very motivated. Then after class I went home and threw the ball for Sam out in the street in front of the house until he got tired.

Then after a sandwich I went out to the center. I sat around for a while, starting to feel useless, and then suddenly I had 5 women to teach- yipee. We started with only 2, so I thought shopping would be a good topic, and then I got a couple of more, then another. One knows some English, and I used my "5 W's" to see who wanted to go shopping and what to buy. Then we did an exercise about working, and everybody laughed when we gave Berta lots of choices about why she works, at first it was cause she needs money, then wants money, then cause she likes her boss! I realize I need to have them say the words out loud more, when I did that one by one, everyone tried very hard, and I have to remember that the vowels have different sounds, so words like "does" and "lives" need practice.

Maybe tomorrow I should...study the Spanish I have for my class, then come up with some exercises for the women for their class. hey good idea, Tue Thu is classes, and Wed can be study & prepare day. Anyway today felt good. I also did laundry and came up with a special dinner for Everardo who I knew would be pooped out from day 2 of working down at the malecon, which I know entails alot of standing around...which would exhuast me! Funny thing- yesterday we both showed up with a chicken and fixin's from the same style place- so I changed it for today. You can buy a chicken which has been grilled, then they chop it up some (and I mean with a machete) and give you tortillas, onions, lime and sauce on the side. I think it's called Sinaloa chicken. It's really good, but yeaterday we just tore it and ate it with tortillas, so today I cut it up in tiny pieces, added onions garlic tomoatoes and some Itailian pasta sauce and let it simmer. I also made mashed potatoes- cause I love them, and then Poppi surprised me by coming home early and skipping his meeting which is from 5-6:30. But it was all simmering on the stove. I actually ate the 2 drunsticks while I was making it cause I don't like tomatoes or even red pasta sauce so I knew I didn;t want any of it- but man it looked great if I do say so myself. However- ha ha- he was so tired that he hasn't eaten yet, it's on the stove covered, and he's snoring next to me on the couch. I'll give him and hour and then he's gotta wake up or he won't be able to sleep tonite- and- Sam is out of food...he had dinner but he gonna be a hungry baby boy in the morning.

Well all my cooking talk is huge for me cause I don't cook. Never really enjoyed it. I mean even if you make something great- then you have to clean it all up and so it tales the fun out of it. But I will have to say in the last year or 2 I have been cooking more. I'm best at pasta which is good cause I like it! And I'm pretty good at pork as well, which is juicy and easier to cook than chicken...btu give me time, give me time.

Well it's been a good day, and Poppi has woken up and wants to eat.....



1 comment:

  1. hi Terry, I am following your blog and am enjoying your insights on people and the country you are now living in...Do you know that in all the years we have known each other i never once knew a class you had or a grade you received...funny. What a great journey you are on. I've always loved you and considered you a good friend...Having lost contact with each other for so many years it's fun to catch up with you and follow you in your daily life! Funny I can remember us just laying around and reading totally content with life. So I am reading your blog and sending you positive thoughts. I'm glad your following your dreams and found a kind man to share it with...marylu

    ReplyDelete