Thursday, February 28, 2013

Today was awesome. Spanish lessons in the morning and English class in the afternoon. The Spanish lesson was hard; it was about possesive adjectives and pronouns. El suyo, La mia,.....concepts I never thought about before. It's funny I wanted conversational, but the truth is that I have a harder time understanding than talking- so maybe this is exactly what I need. I wrote down everything she put on the board and my classmate Charlie (Carlos) writes down nothing. He's gotta be at least 15 years older than me, but can remember everything. I have always been they type that, if I hear it and see it, then write it down and refer to it, I have a chance of remembering it ha ha. I know now that it's the little building blocks that are going to pull it together for me. It was a good class. She said we are going to have another couple join us, but I guess I'm not sure when. Carlos has been with her a few months but was saying something about only 3 weeks in any month cause they're always going somewhere. My plan is to stick with this...for a year,  or more, whatever it takes.

So I came home and had a couple of ideas of what to teach for English based on what she did with us this morning. Well class was amazing! Funny I made 6 copies of a couple of different things to use for conversation; one was "I am"...then I listed happy, sad, mad, cold, angry, hot, etc. Then added "Today I am -happy-, but yesterday I was....mad" and had each person say it but choose different words from the list. So we talked about present and past. I also had some words using long and short vowels- which is hard to explain since there's no such thing in Spanish. Each letter has one sound. Yeah- I'm thinking right now that this weekend I'll try making some lists for each vowel. The pages I copied from this book did that, but not in a logical order, so altho they were good for pronunciation, they were a little confusing. Especially for "e" and "i" since "i" is pronounced "e" in Spanish! And of course some is hard for me to explain since I don't know too much Spanish ha ha. BUt they help me. And we have a good laugh. I had made 6 copies of everything cause on Tuesday I had 6 women. Today I had 8 women and 2 men! Now one man, Ruben speaks some English, and he likes to help so that's good. The other man, Andrees, helps at the center with the kids so he's always jumping up to take care of something. So we have a good laugh at his expense when he sits down and it's his turn to speak, but he missed the instruction. All the laides have fun and laugh alot. They range from Dora who can only be about 16 to Berta who might be in her 40's or 50's. So many students! And the time flew by...it's supposed to be 1:30 to 2:30, but I kept having to make more copies and people coming in so we went until 3, then someone mentioned I had no watch ha ha! Ooh maybe next week or the next week can try something else- bring paper plates and plastic silverware and set the table. Identify everything and talk about what we have for breakfast lunch and dinner....hmmm good idea?

Oh, and afterwards I stopped in the office and asked Mark what he thought- he's Karen's husband (the director) and he had dropped in. He said he thought it was great, and that when I'm not there they ask for me! I said I needed a bigger whiteboard, and they have a huge one on the wall in the office, so he said he'd move it into the classroom. Very cool- cause I'm always erasing things and writing sideways ha ha. You know- I need to make lists of words for different things...clothes....family members, food, bathroom stuff...what else? I should also spend some time looking at all the materials they have there at the center. I was told a couple of times they have books, worksheets, I don;t what else, but since I wasn't sure what I was doing I never looked. But now I think maybe seeing things will give me ideas. Ha ha do I seem worked up over this? Cause I am! These people want to learn, so I am contributing!! Yippee that's what I wanted, and I have been totally questioning myself.

Ok now for the next thing. I have to figure out how to make pesto. Can you make it? I mean what does it come from? I bought these cheese ravioli shells and I don't like tomato sauce. I do have some cheese sauce I bought in Arizona, but I wanted to do pesto. I bought some peas & mushrooms to add to it, but I have zero idea about where pesto comes from ah ha. A pesto bush? I stood in the aisle at the store looking at spices and had zero idea. ZERO ha ha. So anyway as soon as I stop writing here I'm gonna google it. Wow am I changing or what ha ha! Poppi is napping on the couch...I think I'll have instant oatmeal for dinner cause I'm hungry and he's not only not hungry, he's sleepy. He was gonna make us these taquito things- pork fried with avocado and cheese on flour tortillas, but he was only doing it for me. Oatmeal sounds pretty yummy to me right now. Yeah the pasta thing is for tomorrow and I plan to do it all while he is not here. I'm also gonna make a cake in a heart shaped pan...awww. I wanted to do it for Valentine's Day but it didn't work out.....ok google time..




No comments:

Post a Comment