Wednesday, February 27, 2013

So this morning after an AA meeting I drove down by the beach near where my new Spanish lessons are. I was looking for a place to take Sam to the beach that's easy to get to, and maybe I could sit and read a book while he plays around. I didn't bring him cause when we get near the beach he starts to shiver, quiver with anticipation and I wasn't sure what I was gonna find. The first place I went to was basciallt straight up the road from the meeting, and I drove up, parked and walked out to the shore. But the first thing I nocitced was more broken glass than I have ever seen in one place. I mean it has to be years of broken beer bottles, wine bottles, tequila, whatever. I mean near the sidewalk lots of whole bottles and bug pieces, but as I walked out towards the beach the pieces just got smaller. Ok forget that spot- I just can't walk Sam out that way.

So I walked out and took a look anyway, and actually there was lots of these black rocks. Not sure why all the rocks on the shores are black- volcanic maybe? It would be hard to for San to pick his way thru down to the water...but the glass thing... I went back to the car and kept driving, slowly and saw a few places where I could go down. Oh- and at the second place- well it was the RV park so I drove down there just to see what the beach looked like. OMG and I mean OH MY GOD...there were these 2 women, who had to be at least 1000 years old- or maybe it was just too much sun, but they were in lounge chairs, chatting, and they were so dark, this weird color of brown, in fact I had to takeoff my sun glasses to look at them cause I thought maybe I was not seeing clearly. Almost like muddy chocolate or something...but oh so old and wrinkly to be in these bikinis....ugh. I mean I'm all for being whomever you want to be, but oh god oh god. It was just weird. I sound awful right now- I mean these ladies were kicking back, chatting,  in their own trailer park, not hurting anybody, and I was the intruder....I don't know...it was just....Everardo pls drown me when you see me like that ok??

Ok so I continued on down the road and found a couple of places I can park and walk down to the beach, and not too far of a walk either. Maybe in a few months these spots will be everybody's best spots, but for now there were just a few people on the beach. But it as an interesting drive in other ways. Puerto Penasco is an odd place. I wish I would have seen it back before the economy crashed. Everardo was here, it was humming. Lots of construction, tons of people, a regular party town. But now there are so many unfinished buildings, unfinished hotels, condos, gated communities. It's kinda sad in some ways. I mean did all the people from the states just stop coming and spenidng? Or do they just come and rent now? I guess I'll see starting next month. BUt what about the people who live here? And there's 2 types; the Americans and the Mexican local. When things were booming did everybody work? Was there enough to go around for everybody? How do they feel about their ghost town now? Or is this just the quiet time before the tourists start showing up? Do the finished places fill up? And what's the significance of the "home port" renovation? The cruise ship stop is 2 years out but apparently the work is about to start. Lots of infrastructure; paving roads, building roads, street lights, more shopping? Will the condos get finished? The hotels? There's also a huge convention center being built. When I read the Rocky Point Times on line I always see all these events coming up; fun BUt do all these events benefit the locals? They must, right? It will be interesting to see how things change, or maybe how they are but I am just unaware.

In Playa Ventura I kept waiting to see things that never materialized. Yeah we left 3 weeks before the big 2 weeks they have tourists, but I heard it was not huge. And nothing new gets built or renovated in anticipation, altho I did hear that there was going to be a cell tower built so cell phones would work- ha ha now that's progress. But this town is much much bigger than Playa Ventura and I understand that I don't really know anything, yet. So I am trying to be open, to be aware. I think my Spanish lessons will be fun, and who knows who else I will meet. I am going to go to one more dinner for Uncommon Women; it's on March 12, just 2 or 3 weeks from now- gonna give it one more chance. As much as I thought they were all pompus windbags, I know that I am judgng them all when a few are probly quite sincere. I want to talk to the women who works with the orphanage. I know I've written about this before, and yet I've made no move to seek then out. I talked to this great couple today, they have this tiny store that brings things from Phoenix (I think Phoenix), anyway they have sharp cheddar cheese, and rye bread...they are Mexican and speak English.

The husband, Carlos told me today he used to live in Santa Rosa! 10 miles north of where our house is in Calif! We talked about the area and the redwood trees. He explained the term "tree hugger" to Michele, his wife and we talked about how they smell. They have alot of Americans come to their little store and she said I was very different than most of them. It's sad how the Americans earn that title of "Ugly American", arrogantly living here, not wanting to learn the language, any customs, eat the food or even associate with the Mexicans. They are simply here cause it's cheap. It's not all of them, but this couple sees alot of them because of their business. We chatted and laughed for more than half an hour. We talked about how separate people keep themselves, like events for Americans and events for the locals. She liked that I live in el centro, not down at the beach, and when I started to say I went to the Uncommon women dinner- ha ha she started laughing. We talked about the name of the group is so cool Uncommon Women on Common Ground, but that they are awful! She said she went once and that was enough. She did say that she thinks there are some women who do care about the community and want to make this a better place...but we both laughed and agreed that mostly...they were talking about their latest cruise and their hair and their money. But Michele and Carlos like it here; they've lived here 9 years- thought about moving but they like it here, that they feel their kids are safe. I asked if they had thought about moving somewhere else in Mexico or to the US- Michele said 'we would NEVER move back to the US! Ha ha when she and her Mom went to England for vacation, they took someone's advice and used their Mexican passports instead of their US passports and said they were treated much better than their friends who used the US id's ha ha.

I love the US, I love my country, and I am proud to be an American, but I am also sorry to the world that so many of my people are so greedy, power mongering, war loving, and filled with such a sense of entitlement. Hell- if we are the best country in the world, then we should have our hands out to help others up, not beat them up and take what they got. Love can change the world. Random acts of kindness can change the world. Empathy, understanding, sharing, caring, these things can all change the world. I will always hold out hope that our gov't will get their collective heads out of their asses, cause we can always change. Starting now...ok how about now? ok now? There are so many good people wit good ideas and good hearts. Let us shine!

wow that was a tangent eh? Maybe some readers hate me now. But oh well not like too many people read this blog anyway. I always look at my little stats, and wonder who is reading it. I see some people from Germany read it- is it my brother and sister in law? That would be cool. I may be divorced from their brother, but they are still my family, and I still love them. I have a beautiful niece, in fact I think I have another niece and nephew who are also in Germany....with a nut for a mother, don't care what she thinks of me, but I still love her kids. My darling hubby- our family just keeps growing doesn't it?

I want to be a good person, I want to be on a spiritual path, I want to contribute to this life in a positive way. For now, I am simply musing about life around me....so let's see, tomorrow is class #2, and I have a new batch of women at the center wanting to speak a little English...ok great spirit- help me to be in service tomorrow. nite all

No comments:

Post a Comment