Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I had my students for English today, and almost all of them remembered the words in English for all the fruits I brought last Thursday. I was SO excited! I have at least one student however who is struggling, so I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll go over there and and see if she is there, then ask her if she'd like to have a private class with just me to work on the basics. If she's not there, then I'll ask her on Thurs before class if she wants to have a class with me and she can pick the day. Her name is Haliaria and she tries so hard, but then when I ask her something she gets paralyzed. Man do I ever know the feeling. When people talk to me, I say Mande? (what?) so while they repeat it, I have time to think of what they said, translate it into English, and form a reply!

I also had my Spanish class this morning, and she asked if I wanted an "extra" class tomorrow...I said no thanx....the "extra" class is not extra; we have 2 classes a week, but she's busy on Thurs so we agreed  to meet Monday. But when she didn't come, I had skipped my meeting and put off a phone call with my daughter. If I go for having a class tomorrow and then she doesn't show...I will be mad and probly have to stop taking class from her. Anyway class was good today. We practiced conversations, like chatting at a bus stop, or seeing a friend at the mall, talking about what kind of a day we had, every day things like that.

After dinner we went to this store, like a big drug store, so has tons of little things from hair ties and barrettes, to lotions and shampoos, dishes, all kinds of toys for the beach, and cheap jewelry....Everardo has purchased cheap jewelry there and sold it for three times as much on the beach. When we were ready to check out, ha ha about 18 people working in the store, 10 people in line, and one cashier...sounds like Mexico AND the US!!

We went out looking for a place to get the best rate changing dollars to pesos. I guess when Everardo lived here before, the department store Coppel always gave a better a better rate than the bank. But when we got there, the woman behind the counter told us they haven't been exchanging dollars for pesos in about 3 years. Well this was after we hit the bank as they were literally locking the doors, but the woman told us the exchange rate was 12- which is acceptable. Then we went to this other place I just heard about this morning where they change money as well as send and receive money from the states, and have other services. But when we got there we saw the hours were 8:30am to 2:30 pm. I plan to go back over there tomorrow and find out what the rate is, and also to ask what the "other" services are. I have about $150 USD that Everardo made selling his stuff on the beach, and I want to get the best rate, then put it in our bank account, cause the stores give terrible rates. We went into another store and their rate was 11.87, and the OXXO's & Circle K's (like 7-11) post their rates in the window and are probly 11 or less....The grocery store, well any stores give less than the bank so it's best for us to change our dollars into pesos and use our ATM cards or take cash from the ATM. This is the first time in 10 months we have had dollars, so it's a new thing....But here you can use either, however I believe change will always be in pesos. Everardo's customer though, have dollars.

Everado made us beans and cheese and tortillas for dinner and it was perfect. And now I think an ice cream bar will top it off nicely. Magnum ice cream bars, not sure if they have them in the states but I love them, the inside is vanilla and it's very rich, and I like the chocolate outside with almonds...mmmm better get one now...

No comments:

Post a Comment