Friday, March 29, 2013

This is about the holiday weekend, Semana Santa. Today when I drove down the street from our house towards the main boulevard (Benito Juarez), in front of businesses and homes I saw people putting up little tables with purple tablecloths, red flowers, tall candles, and a cross with Jesus on it behind it. Almost all the table coverings were purple but I saw at least one white one. The crosses with Jesus on them went from big to huge. Some had just one candle in the tall glass, the ones with the pictures on them, but all the flowers were red.

Close to noon there was a procession down the same street, coming from the cemetery I think, going up to the Catholic church. The street was blocked off close to my street so I turned off and came down the next street, unfortunately I though the parade was going in the other direction like it usually does (well maybe not usually- but over the Christmas holidays), so I came inside, made a quick sandwich, yelled for Sam and went out to the street to take some photos and that's when I found out it was going the other way. I am just 2 houses in from the street on a dirt side street, and that main street has both a huge Catholic church and the entrance to a very large cemetery, so if it's a holiday- there's gonna be a procession going by, and here in Mexico- there's ALOT of holidays!

I did not venture down to the malecon; I knew the streets are blocked for cars, and it was really busy down there 2 nites ago when we went down there about 8pm. The big pavilion was filled with people and bands and vendors with trinkets, and cart after cart of hot food. It was very festive and fun to walk around, dance a little, and people watch. But all the streets I was on today were packed, the beach was packed, and the music has been non stop for the last couple of days. Last nite I heard it faintly as I fell asleep and right now (about 7pm) I hear music and cars honking, and earlier fireworks. There are food carts and sidewalk restaurants all over the place. But it's not a problem; I mean the music, from hear is faint, the busy roads are busy, but not bumper to bumper- over here at least. I went to Las Conchas to the beach this afternoon with Sam, and Everardo was right; the sticker on the windshield that says "contractor" allowed me to be waved into the security neighborhood.


Las Conchas is a neighborhood of massive homes; and I'm sure 7 or 8 years ago, was busy all the time, but now like everywhere here, some  homes are in varying stages of construction that has stopped, many have for sale signs, and at the opening to the area there are half finished condos and a hotel, unfinished with a lonley tunnel slide going into an empty pool. We only moved here in December, probly the quietest time of year here, and almost all those bug homes stand empty. We have friends who live out there, caretaking a house, and whenever we go it's quiet. Ha ha- not right now. People are all over the place out there! Many of the really large home have up to 10 cars in front so I assume groups of young people are rent them together- I say young people cause I saw huge groups of them all over the beach. Families, too, but in much smaller groups. Driving to the spot where we go down is way down near the end, so I followed the main road out that way and people are driving like nuts, many probly on their way to a big buzz right?? Trying to pass me when they can;t see over the rise and of course someone was coming the other way. People jammed into SUVs and in the backs of trucks, dune buggys, atvs,- along the side of the road is just hilly desert, and I saw these kids- 4 of them in a dune buggy (or are they just called atvs now), but I'm telling you they were not over 12- I mean who rented the thing? One kid gave me this "suck 'em up" sing, thumb up, pinky out, rest of the fingers curled in...oh god I thought- how are they out driving???

The beach was amazing, the water warmed alot in just a week. Still WAY colder than Playa Ventura, but I waded out waist deep. I need some kind of float to hang out on...Sam chased the ball until he actually puked. That was after 2 hours of swimming in to get the ball, and digging holes around it behind and under my chair. Lots and lots of people. Lots of vendors as well. In fact I looked over and saw Everardo selling some jewelry to a lady down the beach! He came by us for a minute, but then after he left, Sam kept thinking guys he saw in the water swimming was him- ha ha!

So today is Good Friday. I am home from the beach; I left after Sam puked, and a good thing cause after my shower saw I was starting to burn. But I talked to my friend that lives out there and tomorrow we're going back. It was nice today, I really enjoyed myself, but I will also enjoy being at the beach with someone else. I was watching all the groups today and saw some funny stuff; like people flying off the banana boats, and kids playing along the shore. I tried to read but Sam would have none of it- he wanted my full attention ha ha. Oh and I won't worry about staying hydrated since I'll be able to go up to the house...ok scratch that- I can always pee in the ocean! I have no idea if they have crowds in front of their place as well, but I'm betting they will...I wish my hubby could come too, but maybe Monday we can take a picnic out there and spend the day.

I'm getting back my Playa Ventura tan...yipee

No comments:

Post a Comment