Monday, July 2, 2012

Ok teaching little kids is alot harder than it looks! Today was my first attempt and they did all say they wanted to come back on Wednesday ( I think that's what they were saying...). And another thing- 2 hours is too long for 6-9 yr olds. 6 kids, and later a 15 yr old girl joined. Big surprise- she was the best student....but my husband says once the little ones start getting the hand of it they will pass her. So I started simple- at least I was thinking it would be simple- you know the first try at a new language when your tongue hasn't twisted that way before, or you haven't made the "th" sound pressing your tongue against your teeth- AND your teacher doesn't know enough of your language to explain to six wiggly kids what the concept is....ok simple is not a word that comes to mind, And oh yeah like I learned yesterday I should be saying "easy", not simple!

2 kids had tiny whisper voices- big surprise- brother and little (6) sister. All but 2 brought notebooks and tried to copy everything I wrote on the whiteboard. I bought 20 spiral notebooks at Office Depot for a buck each before I left so was able to supply them. All we did was "what is your name, my name is" and "where do you live, I live in Playa Ventura" but it was not...easy. I had them ask each other the questions and answer. We also did days of the week. An finished with my box of surprise items. 10 things taken out one at a time, identified and practiced, then Wed we'll see who remembers. O'm gonna try next class review and then add something new. I need to red all the crap I subscribed to when I first agreed to do this months ago. I have an email box with  couple of lesson plan ideas, also a "teachers book of lists". Like I started with this- my hat is off to all teachers, you have a gift. I'll do my best.

Then at the end of the day I got to talk to my younger daughter for about an hour which was very cool cause I keep missing her, very busy at 19. And unfortunately for me at this age her and I don't always see eye to eye and know just how to push each other's buttons whether we mean to or not...but today was great. She told me about school, her job; & it seems we agree alot on politics. I'm so proud of her. My older one is 26 and we had mostly the same mom-daughter problems at that age, but now we are super close, we could talk every day. I can hardly wait to get there with Halla. She was laughing at my escapades here, and we talked about patience being the number one trait to have here to be happy.

Tomorrow is Acapulco again, this time to see if Telcel can unlock my cell phone- I really like touch screen, and a trip to Home Depot for hubby for electrical stuff to make our little casa better, so we'll see what fun things happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment