Sunday, July 1, 2012


Well this morning I woke up feeling great! Yesterday we switched out songle and a half bed with 2 single beds that we pushed together and used ou king sheets and I REALLY slept for the first nite since we arrived! Oh man it was sweet. My alarm actually woke me up at 3am to take that pill- the antibiotic from the water poisoning- yeah I have one more day after today of 7pm,3am, 11am....anyway I was awake at 3am the previous nites but not last nite- yipee. I adore my husband and always respond to snuggles and hugs- but man when it's about 100 degrees and sticky sweat just from turning over....yeah usually I like to fall asleep with my head on his shoulder, right under his chin...then of course turn over later cause I like to stretch out my arms and legs, sometimes all at once...but in this weather we love each other, kiss and as of last nite, get a WHOLE side to ourselves! So this is the heat during the "rainy season"! Well to be fair we've been told that we have seen nothin' yet- that we will see big big storms. When we first got here it rained every nite the first week but not during the day. Then the hurricane came and it rained for about 3 days. Since then it's rained a few nites and once or twice for a couple of ours during the day, so not too much. Ha ha the other nite a bolt of lightning flashed so bright and I swear the boom started before the flash ended. Remember when we were kids and counted between the flash and the thunder to see how many miles away? I think this hit in my backyard! I think I jumped across the room onto my husband who was saying don't worry don't worry but it scared me! The teenager daughter of our friends laughed at me the next day and said.....just wait.


The fact is over the past couple of years I have become and toss & turner. I wake up- alot. The nice thing is Everardo sleeps right thru it. And although he's happy too about the bigger bed, he was still sleeping pretty good.I'll say this, I'm not sure if I'm having hot flashes anymore because I'm always hot ha ha. I get achey knees and sometimes wrists from this damn cancer medicine I take. Arimidex. I was taking Tamoxifin and that killed my knees and ankles- achey all the time.Now this new stuff was so bad on my wrists that I bought a couple of those braces, which help alot. My hands were going numb. But the truth is my hands have not been bothering me since we got here and my knees only once in awhile, I think it has to do with the heat. good.


This morning the electricity went off about 7:30am and came back about 11:30. Our friends said it never goes out for 2 days, always less. Ok well that's good to know I guess. So after breakfast (gas stove) eggs, tortillas, cheese, banana- at least I'm eating better...we walked down the beach to Chela & Gume and they had electricity! Apparemtly they have a different line or something. But when a little car sped by later with what looked like a telephone pole sticking thru the window, Chela said the power must be back for you. Now it must have been smaller than a telephone pole right? But it didn;t look like a ladder, anyway things break alot and get fixed quick. hmmm ok. Actually when Gume asked if I was unhappy about the electricity being off I thought about it and said- really- no, it's light outside, I can read in my hammock, play on the beach with Sam. I love my life here, it's simple. Now all this was in Spanish, so my conversation contributions can be pretty minimal, but they are so patient and correct me so I try every day to get my point across or understand before giving on to a translation by hubby. So when I said simple (simplay), Gume & this other guy looked surprised and and asked again. As it turns out in Spanish (in this region so I don't know if always), simple is a negative thing. Like not having anything or any prospects, it would be sad if your life was simple. So I said I meant tranquillo (peaceful), and they said oh like facil (easy). So the we talked about that cause it's peaceful to live here- but it was not easy when I was puking off my deck uncontrollably, and it was not easy when the ATM had no money, or when I had to spend the entire day in Immigration....but each of those things had relatively easy (simple to me) resolutions. The dr was fast and really cheap, we went for a nice drive to get money, and they gave me residency.ha ha The biggest lesson I'm learning here I think is patience. Everything works out. Getting frustrated does not help, and people seems puzzled by it. I think I want a new tattoo that says "everything is possible in Mexico" (todo es posible en Mexico). I won't get it cause I think I'm done tattooing...so anyway after all that I now know to say when asked my life is peaceful and/or easy, but not simple. And they learned in English it has another meaning. And really the electricity is out? ok I can just do something else...oh- and everyone here says the electricity going out is just a rainy season thing, that from Oct-May no problem...ok that will be very cool...


Tomorrow I am going to start my project with the kids- teaching them English. I am not a teacher by profession, but these little sponges really want to learn, and their parents want them to learn. When they get older and want to go to work, maybe in a resort town or come to the states, or really any country or big city in Mexico, if they are bilingual they have much better opportunities. These kids are 7,8,&9 and hopefully I'll only have 3 or 4 tomorrow but at least 10 have come up to me asking when I'm going to teach them! I think I'm gonna try 1-3 pm, Mon Wed Fri & see how that goes. It is totally up in the air, I am open to go with what works. I think tomorrow I'll start with everybody's names and then each others...I also have with me about 20 spiral notebooks and 20 kid dctionaries Spanish English with pictures, crayons, pens, pencils, a whiteboard with a stand. A teacher's book of lists I bought of Amazon for teaching ESL and a website with suggested lesson plans...so we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment