Friday, August 10, 2012

August 10, 2012 Friday. I put the date cause I'm writing in word. There's no internet but there is electricity & phone...well I haven't tried to make a call since it's not yet 7am and we're 2 hours ahead of Calif where, if I was going to call, that would be the place. But we've been up since around 5am, and Everardo's been moping up water constantly. You would think the word window would mean absence of water inside, but.... not so much here.

It started raining last nite, I think it was dark, but still early. When the lightening started we went outside and got in the hammocks to watch for a while, until the bugs started biting and then came back in. We stayed up - well I stayed up until around midnite and then went to bed. Everardo stayed up a little longer trying to watch a movie and then followed me. He put Sam outside cause it wasn't stormy and we went to sleep. Then around 4 something am, the wind woke us both up and E let Sam in. Then it got really noisy, thunder lightening wind pouring rain...

Pouring rain! Into the house- well in thru the 4 big windows facing the ocean; 2 in the living room and 2 in our bedroom. The windows are 2 panes side by side that slide open. The frames are plastic and weren't caulked or anything, so the water is coming in thru the sides and the middle where they meet. Lucky for us we have made the living space at the ither side of the room in the living room. We did have some stuff along the wall, but not furniture or anything electrical. Mostly stuff to go upstairs (our current storage space ha ha). At first he just used the shirts to shove against the window, leaving them in the frame along the bottom. So after the first mop up we laid back sown in bed for a little while, maybe 20 minutes, but neither of us got back to sleep. The wind was howling so hard I was scared the windows might burst but I guess there's not too much pressure if water is coming thru. But then Everardo jumped up and started using t-shirts and towels to mop and then wring out in the plastic tub where I had my school supplies, they are now on the floor on the safe side of the room- I'm glad he did cause we didn't realize just how bad it was since we had been looking at it with a failing flashlight and candles ha ha.

So I got up too. He is continuing to mop every little while, this storm just rages on. For awhile the wind let up and so the water stopped coming in but it started back up. He's using a broom now to sweep the water to the front door, and basically under the door cause there's a space there too. It's now 7:20am, I had to stop a couple of times, plus I'm writing in the dark- but it's still dark outside! Finally it's starting to get a tiny bit light, like how it is usually about 5am. But it's still raining. I was waiting for the "rainy season", I guess it's here.

The very coolest thing is Everardo! He is not mad or anxt'ing at all. He is just working hard, moving stuff, he went outside to see how things looked and came back with coffee! The kitchen is all wet because I opened the little window on the ocean side when I was doing dishes, usually it stayed open, so that floor is all wet too. Thank god for tile! He is am amazing man! He is not mad at all, he was a little disgusted with the windows, and thinking about how to fix the problem short term, once it stops raining, and then long term, after the season. Part of the problem was me- I said I wanted big windows- like in Cathy's house, and you know what- I bet her house isn't leaking...see I'm not calm like him. But if you want a job done a certain way then you need to be here to direct it, and not knowing anything about construction, or types of materials it seems I was way too general. But - it's all good. Like I said, Everardo is not upset and he's looking for solutions. We already know that except for our laptops, nothing is too big of a deal, and the truth is if they were lost or damaged it would suck cause of our pictures mainly, they can also be replaced. It's becoming gray outside and I can see the palm trees now. It seems like the wind had changed direction and that's a good thing- also it's not raining as hard, but ha ha wait a minute and everything will change again. He's outside again but Sam was like- no way- and he's sleeping in his favorite inside spot under the table.

Before I started writing this I was laying on the single bed we have in the living room along one wall sorta like a day bed. It's nice for napping or watching tv since the couch is kinda small and for sure two people can't lay on it. So of course I start thinking about a tsunami ha ha. I realize if a huge tidal wave hits this house when I'm in it- bye bye me. Of course if it hit in the daytime there's a good chance I'd be outside or not even here so let's hope for that....hmmm maybe I shoulda been hoping for no tsunami....I don't think one had ever hit this coast, maybe I should think of other things- ya think? Anyway .I'm looking at palm tress whipping in the wind, the ocean is very loud and the tide is coming up very high, and all of it is the color gray. Hubby is back in the house and he's laughing! Laughing! He brought the long squeegee in and it's working pretty good. He has an idea about the windows; he says the water is coming in thru the middle, where the 2 panes meet, and can slide on different tracks. He needs to put pressure against the windows so that space is not there. He got it figured out on one window I think- yipeee. Ooops spoke too soon of course, the water is also coming in under the windows, but that may also be fixable with some silicone putty...

Did I say welcome to Mexico? Should be an interesting day....

No comments:

Post a Comment