Thursday, August 23, 2012

Well I should not have gone on that walk again last nite. Messed up the back of my ankle or shin, it's inside that it is bothering me, so I took today off.

But class yesterday was fun; I started with only one student, Lupita- and I like her alot cause she is determined to speak English, her parents didn't send her, she asked to come. She's 9 I think. Anyway after about 15 min, everybody else showed up- my 4 regulars and 3 newbies, 2 boys and a girl. It was a wacky day. I had Lupita stay after and we looked at some harder stuff, some verbs, how they conjugate much less than in Spanish ha ha. Everybody else moves forward very slowly. I wonder if the new kids will stay. The little girl can only be about 6, maybe she's 7 but I think she just started school. Her name is Estrella, and she was very enthusiastic yesterday, not shy, I like that. I bought 9 more dictonaries online this morning, but received an email one is already cancelled. They are being mailed to my brother; ha ha I gotta let him know. I just want to have some here in case I get more kids...

The road is looking better. Now they are bringing huge trucks of dirt to build it up and flattening them out with a huge roller tractor; the only problem I see right now is, there are 3 huge piles in front of out house, one at the edge of the driveway. I haven't heard the roller in hours, and it's getting near 5pm. If it rains tonite- we're screwed. Like this: SCREWED! That mountain of dirt will be on our patio....but I will probly not make that observation to Everardo tonite cause he'll say, don;t make up things to worry about, or -well we can't control what happens tonite can we? Sometimes his optimism...aarrgghh

You can't tell by the sky what's coming. It's blue and 5 min later you are in a huge storm. Well hubby is out fishing with Gume, I think near the lagoon, some place they've been waiting to go that's great for fishing, so great Sam couldn't go cause they were worried he'd jump right in and piss off other people. It might be something about letting water into or out of the lagoon? Not sure, but it does run along the beach except across the street. I thought it was fresh water but maybe it's salt..

I go on this other website for expats in Mexico and today joined in a conversation about corn vs flour tortillas ha ha. We eat hand made corn tortillas of course. It's funny tho', one neighbor we buy them from makes them small and you get about 24 in a kilo. The other woman makes them huge and you get only 9. He likes the big ones and I like the small ones....so we get the big ones and I just tear them in half. I like that website cause I read how other people like living in other areas of Mexico. Most of them however live in places where there are English speakers, and I think most of them also live in bigger towns than me. But before I got here that website was an obsession with me cause I only knew I wanted to live here, not really anything else and I asked tons of questions about driving here, about bringing Sam, about visas, ha ha could Sam drink the water. So I go back and read it cause maybe there will be someone like me asking questions that I know the answer to now. At least 2 people I have emailed privately wirh questions; one about teaching and another who was extremely helpful sending me routes and comments for our drive down here.

I went to another AA meeting in Spanish last nite. And I got up and shared too. The good thing is they name a topic so I can think about how to say something in Spanish. I shared Monday nite too, I think it's very cool that both meeting had 4 or 5 women in them. I had heard that alot of women who need/want AA in Mexico don't go- it's kinda a cultural thing, so seeing them was wonderful, and that's why I shared. I realize that in the states I had a message for other alcoholics, women in particular, I have no problem speaking in a group setting, and so I need to work harder on my Spanish because I can carry the message here too. So I got up and spoke even tho' I stumbled alot. It felt great, and we plan to try to attend about 3 meetings a week. Of course "vamos a ver" we'll see...But I'm trying to talk to everyone I see so I can practice, mess up, learn ha ha.

Mexico is such an interesting place. Old and new all mixed together, guys on horses with cowboy hats, sometimes herding cattle right down the street. It's so hot here that even when wecome home after 10pm, there are people sitting outside, kids and adults- I wonder how the kids get up for school, but as Everardo says, it's too hot to sleep. And this is a poor town, I don't think anybody has AC except the little hotels. Electricity, cable, internet come and go throughout the day, it simply is what it is. Shoes are optional everywhere ha ha, but the sand gets so hot on the beach, and the road is so rocky, I usually have flip flops on Tennis shoes are only for exercise walking, otherwise the rest of my shoes are packed upstairs. I find people so open, so willing to help and/or teach....viva Mexico




No comments:

Post a Comment