Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pedestrians do not have the right of way. Cars do not have the right of way. Whomever takes the lead, goes first, speeds up, jumps around, they have the right of way. I drove to Marquelia today and it was really no big deal. Except of course for the herd of cows on the road out to the 1 lane highway. (1 lane each way). They were just ambling along, the guy kinda tried to get them to move over but they were all huge cows and I think the best he could do was the direction. I just crawled behind them, then another truck came, same size as ours, and he just leaned on his horn beeeeeep beeeeep beeep and I think it was the combination of that and the fact that the fence opened up on one side to a field which is where they were probly heading...So we got past that and headed on. I actually passed a couple of huge trucks on the highway; they have the double trailers behind them, so long I think maybe that length isn't legal in the states the way the back one sorta waves across the lane..

I only hit a few potholes in Marquelia, but when I stop to let people walk across the road people think I'm nuts. Of course Everardo is telling me keep going, don't worry that truck will move, go around that, stop there..yadda yadda yadda...sometimes having a loved one helping, well....so I'm over the nervousness of driving to/in Marquelia- I realize I cab go as slow or as careful as I want or need to. We got veges at this tiny store across from what I call the farmer's market, the open market, well this place has better eggs than anywhere else; they're bigger for basically the same price. We only bought a couple of things, like 4 bananas and some potatoes and 1 avocado cause the people in the pickup truck will stop by tomorrow with the back full of vegetables, and he said he was gonna try to get green apples. It will be nice if we can become regulars with them; they had alot of nice stuff last week; broccoli, corn, squash, bananas, apples...

So then we hit Super Precio and ooops, no milk, no butter, no flour, so all we got was bread and some American Cheese slices ha ha. She said it was inventory, but the other place where we bought the small cartons of milk was out, too, so maybe we'll just wait for the kid that brings it after they milk their cow. I wanted butter and flour because I wanted to try to make the cheese sauce for the pasta. In the next couple of days we'll have to go to Ometepec for butter, meat, flour...or maybe just wait because another Acapulco trip is looming- we are gonna need more paint for the outside. I want to go to Wallmart- NOT Costco, and if they have things like sauce, I'll buy 5 or 6 jars, not the one I want. Cause all the stores seem to be the same, maybe they have it and maybe they don't.

I also want to buy 2 plastic lounge chairs for outside. The hammocks are great, but sometimes when I come back from the beach it would be nice to lay down in the sun, or the shade instead of the hammock. The road workers sold Poppi 3 or 4 truckloads of dirt so he is still working hard! He's painting the outside of the house by himself, and now shoveling dirt like a madman. It's kinda hard to explain, but the way they are "fixing" the road, leaves us with a steep ditch between the raod and our front fence. The fence is about 4 feet high brick and then cyclone fence above that. Anyway rocks and dirt, branches and debris are making it look like shit, and may be an issue next year during the rainy season (see how I hopefully assume the rain is past...). Anyway we've been told that's our land up to the road. So the workers have sold us rocks and dirt; Poppi spread rocks out and the dirt is now on top. He's trying to get the dirt to fill in between the rocks, and then the tractor came with the next load of dirt and tramped it down pretty good. They brought another dump truck full of dirt and so today he was loading into the wheelbarrow and then dumping it around, lengthening the space, etc. It looks like we can use it for visitor parking, it looks pretty good actually. After the raod os completely done (ha ha whenever that is), and the rain comes back- so next year, he wants to move the bricks we have in the back out there and make it like a paved parking space.

I'm fine with using that brick, it's across some of the second level of the backyard, but not all. Dirt is fine, especially with chickens, so it's a good idea. Oh- chickens remind me that I'm so excited our friends are going to visit at the end of November! A couple, she's from Russia; I've known him for years and Everardo and he became friends before I met Everardo, and he worked with Wayne. Wayne is a contractor. Poppi is looking forward to talking about some project with him. They are such a nice couple; I only got to know Ramilla a few months before we moved, but I really liked her right off the bat. So I was motivated to work upstairs a little this afternoon and it actually looks like a room and not just a storage space ha ha. I need to buy 2 more of those big plastic storage bags for comforters and clothes, but the room looks pretty good. Everardo painted the bookshelf I wanted for up there so it's up there and I put all the paperbacks I've finished up there and then some framed family photos on top. I have a map of Mexico I want to put on the wall and another map- like a hand drawn souvenir map of the Russian River area, that I want to put up, but there's that damn problem of cement walls and so I need Everardo to do it for me. Unfortunately downstairs I am still waiting for several pictures to be put up in our room and a couple in the living room, so that might be awhile...but I'm happy with how the room is looking now. It's also going to be painted and we already have the paint for that. When we go to get more outside paint I want some blue paint for at least the bathroom next to the kitchen and maybe our bathroom in the bedroom.

It will be nice to have people visit. Tickets are expensive I know, and some people are afraid of Mexico, but ha ha nothing to worry about around here. I'm hoping my daughters will come soon, but the younger one has work and school, the older one has work too and I'm not sure if her novio has gotten his passport yet. But I talk to her all the time and I know she will come when she can. I told our friends who are coming in November what I tell everyone, Club Med it ain't. There's nothing to do here but read in the hammock, play in the water, look for shells, eat, nap- it's a really good place for naps! But they are around our age and think that doing nada is a great idea. They will LOVE the warm water. It looks just like northern Ca where they live, but it's warm, day & nite. I'm so excited they're coming!

Yeah- another fixture fell off the bathroom wall this morning and the replacement Poppi bought in Marquelia is blue, however, at Home Depot I can buy beige I'm sure so I can think about it. It was the soap holder over the sink, I guess it's more a creamy brown that beige, but the point is it pisses me off how badly some of the construction was done. The toilet paper holder was 2 pieces and only 1 was installed, but no worries- that piece fell off almost right after we moved in. And yesterday Everardo ended up talking to the guy who did the construction- at least the roof portion and told him it still leaks and asked him something about how to determine where it's coming from. But the guy insists to come over and fix it- GOOD!...course I'm not sure when...and it might actually be repaired since it didn't leak during the big storm the other day.

Went to the beach this afternoon during low tide and in the spirit of doing things that scared me (driving in Marquelia conquered) I sat by myself in the wedge in the rocks where the waves spill over. I held onto the rocks when the bigger ones hit and when the big one hit me in the head and I let go I still didn't panic just floated around some. Sound like I'm a wimp, but that fear stayed with me from 2 years ago...so today I made a big progress step! On the way back home I saw the next place I'm going to sit while the waves slurp over, maybe even tomorrow ha ha.

Well the internet is now down so I'll have to watch for it to come back up so I can post this...







No comments:

Post a Comment