Monday, October 29, 2012

The fiesta was great! Saint Judas Tadeo, I think is the saint for the town. There was singing early, then food preparation for hours (not me, just observing ha ha), then more church, then FOOD, then the music started and dancing. Then a HUGE cake, then more dancing. Funny was that only the women were dancing; the men were all on the peripherals, kinda like a high school dance ha ha. But the women danced like maniacs, me included! I think that sometimes these fiestas are an outlet for the women, the time for them to let their hair down, to let it all hang out! In this tiny town at least, the women work hard all day every day. They are either taking care of a husband, several kids and a business like a small store or restaurant, or they are having several children at a young age themselves, so setting themselves up to be in the first group. There is no grocery store or gas station here, no coffee shop and certainly no laundromat- although some people have these interesting washing machines that you have to interact with- adding water, etc. But laundry gets down in tubs or the arroyos, or closer to Marquelia in the big river. Food is grown and or caught, and always prepared by women. I've always said about this place- people fish today to eat today. It's a simple life, but not an easy life. I think this fiesta was a great time for them to kick back and enjoy themselves.

Of course they were working to put it together the nite before and early in the morning yesterday and cooking everything in these huge pots on the side of the church. But finally it was all ready. Kids served, they just kept coming out with disposable plates of food. And the beer! Dios mio! It also just kept coming out and coming out, long after all the food had been consumed and all thru the dancing and laughing and singing. The beer was free and I don't drink, so I had to walk across the street and buy water ha ha. They were these small bottles of Corona. Same shape, just smaller. And these guys just kept bring out cases of them, they'd drop a box in front of a group of chairs and pop the tops off all of them and go back for more. The group I was sitting with just downed them faster than water. They were also sucking down turtle eggs with hot sauce (for me-yuck), and everyone was having a good time. I didn't understand most of the conversations but I can for sure understand laughing and hugging and smiles and egging each other on to dance and "shake it"!!

There was so much dancing and sweating you hardly had to go to the bathroom cause it was all coming out thru your pores. I danced and danced an danced. But I tell you, the ladies were dancing out all their aggressions, bumping and grinding, old and young women! There were a few old ladies out there shaking like I couldn't believe, and they dance into you...dirty dancing for sure. We did not stay until the end; in fact I had been there since about 1pm and dancing probly since maybe 4pm, maybe sooner, but I went and found Everardo about 7:30, exhausted from dancing, and really, some of them were so drunk ha ha, when these 2 ladies fell I thought, ok I'm good. The way everybody was banging into each other dancing I actually surprised nobody fell before that. At this point most of the older women were watching and maybe the middle aged and younger women were out there whooping it up. I must have slept for 10 hours ha ha. I'm waiting to hear later this week what everyone thought of the fiesta, since we were gone all day we didn't hear anything yet. But everybody was wonderful to me, and people I don't know were all dancing with me once they saw I was into having a good time! I slow danced with an old lady who was a little tipsy and laughed thru the whole thing!

Then we got up this morning and went up to Acapulco to get paint to finish the house painting job and get dog food for Sam. We also found the fixtures we need for the bathroom, so let the final stage of the fix up and beautify our home. Ha ha in time to put it up for sale probly.

Found a cool website with people chatting about Puerto Penasco and today was the first time I made any comments and I got replies already! So it will be good to be able to ask some questions to more than just the one guy I've been asking.

I think this weekend coming up there will be a Day of the Dead celebration, which I think is mostly about eating (yipee), but it might be during the week cause the date is Nov 1. Then later at the end of this month is "The fair", it's a weekend thing too, with jugglers and things, not sure what else, but sounds like fun. Hasn't rained for a couple of nites, yippee so no more mud on our patio, but every time I think it's over, it rains again...

I think Everardo hired a guy to start tomorrow helping me to finish the backyard laying the bricks around the pizza oven and probly for painting too, so I think he will have a busy week. Luckily I just started a new book, so hammock here I come!




No comments:

Post a Comment