Thursday, October 25, 2012

Well a jackass almost hit a jackass! We were driving home from Ometepec and a taxi we had passed going over the topes (speed bumps pronounced toe-pays) and he decided to pass us back lus the car ahead of us...driving soooo fast and a baby donkey runs out in the road! I have no idea how he didn't crash, and the people I saw on the side of the road looked shocked, too. We did smell brakes for awhile though. You have to be careful here. A huge pig crossed earlier and I was thinking of all the why did the chicken cross the road jokes...to meet the pig, of course!

We went to Ometepec to talk to Telmex cause all our phone call got us....zero! Thephone has worked about half the time we lived here but we have paid for it all of the time we lived here...
We want the phone so I can talk to my daughters. But it never works; in 5 months it's probly been out half the time. So we have skype and facebook chat. We can also use a cell phone as long as we drive to the next town. ha ha again, since we have to drive to the next town for food, money and gas, we go pretty often. (however today the atm machine was broken in Marquelia- but there's a bank in Ometepec so we went there- but that's an hour drive, if we weren't already going for the phone thing- what a hassle). But we decided since we are going to be leaving in a month or two, we will just make do. In an emergency we can run next door to Rosa and Gencho. I think they have the same plan we had being able to call the US for free so I might ask to use their phone once or twice...

Had to go to the doctor today too. A shot, cream, and pills- less than $20. I got a rash that we thought was from the heat, but on my arm and behind my knee there were little blisters, and Rosa said better go see the doctor...we were kinda already thinking that...so anyway apparently it's an infection that people get this time of year...from the ocean. Mostly kids get it they said, because they have more sensitive skin, but some adults get it too. It's something about the changing season, the rivers running into the sea, bacteria....yuck right? But they said it was no big deal and gave me another shot in the butt. Also some pills, qty 12 to be taken every 8 hours. I think they are the same as the ones I took when I got food poisoning when we first got here. A cream to use 3 times a day. They said if there are any blisters, to pop them, then wipe with alcohol, then put on the cream. The only place I have any blisters is behind one knee. They are tiny blisters, and hopefully now they are drying out; I'm laying on my stomach to write this. Oh there's also one tiny blister on the back of my leg up high on my thigh...so that's why I'm on my stomach.

Funny though, it's been a pretty good day. Everardo talked to the head engineer on our road project and the guy said when they finish they are going to pave our driveway. Yippe!! That will save us some money and hard work. Of course this IS Mexico, so we'll see if it happens but for now sounds like it will. I went over this morning while that was being discussed, to see Rosa and Gencho's finished pool- very very nice. Has a little waterfall going into, a little bridge across it dividing shallow and deep ends, and overlooks the sea. It's so nice. They invited me to swim and I hope to do so in the next couple of days. Chlorine is probly good to dry up my rash, and I asked the doctor about spreading it to anyone else, even in a pool and he said no way.

Ometepec is south of us about an hour's drive and it's a pretty city and a nice drive. I took some photos in the city and on the way home. It's like spring starting. The rains seem (hope) to be done and there are lots of flowers along the sides of the roads. We chatted about how we liked the city and about how things will be different once we move north. Of course we will still have challenges, not sure what they will be, but hopefully not basic stuff like phone and lights ha ha.

This has been a great learning experience and isn't going to change quite yet. A couple or a few months, but I'm still trying to see the lessons. That maybe choosing a very small town without services or shopping wasn't the best idea. Or no English speakers. My husband can't be my source for everything. It's not good for him or for me. I am a strong independent person and having to ask someone else for everything- translate this, what did they say? How much was that? What do these instructions say? isn't good for me. I am responsible for my own happiness. I found myself saying, sitting out on my boulder next to the sea: I am a part of this universe if I say I am, and I am responsible for my own happiness.
This was after getting up and he wasn't here, I wanted to go for a walk but had no key to lock the door cause it's on the car keys, and I thought the plan was he was going to get wood with a neighbor at 9am and it was only 7:30, what is going on? Sounds like nothing right? What the hell was wrong with me? Sounds petty. Yep. But when I struggle to understand what's being said and I go away thinking I know what the agenda is, and I was already unhappy because getting the wood postponed the trip to Ometepc which was important to me cause I'm missing my girls....well I woke up itchy and tired from itching all nite with the above mentioned rash, and I felt out of control. So...after a little while sitting out on the rock with my cup of coffee, not locking the door- it didn't really need it since I was close, and let's face it, nobody is going to break into my house here,

 I chatted with Rosa and Heidi this morning and later with Chela, but I am alone too much. For some people this if fine, but I need the interaction. Maybe before I came I didn't realize it to this extent, but more likely I had expectations that I'd have ways to communicate like telephone that would fill the void while I became fluent in nothing flat ha ha.Also this is definitely too small a town. Everybody knows everything about everybody all the time. We are in agreement we want to go somewhere and start out with no connections to anyone. We came connected to a family that makes up about half the town, and the gossip about us started immediately ha ha. I also realize I need AA in person on a regular basis. Even in Spanish if we could get to regular meetings it would help alot. AA is a huge part of my social self. No matter the background or status, or ethnicity, or past, I have a connection to another person by the very nature of AA. Online is ok, it's more tha ok I guess because it's been there for me every day, but I need to look in people's eyes, reach out and touch, feel the emotions in the air, and get the hugs at the end.

Maybe also, I am old ha ha. I don't want a hard life. It is simple here, but hard. I know for sure I never want to live on the beach again unless I am disgustingly rich and can pay someone to clean every single bit of space, windows, silverware, counters, every single day. Wash my jewelery with lemon cause the silver stuff is now black and the gold chain I wear every day is grimy. Near the beach- yes- at least 5 blocks I think ha ha. And I'm hoping that up in Puerto Penasco I will love the hot days and cool nites. I don't sleep to well here in the heat. If we were staying we would buy an AC for sure, but I'm actually not nuts about ac. And I don't like the fan blowing in my face, even just a regular standing fan. No I'm not that old, but I am learning what I can live with and what I want to or don't want to live with.

Today is a beautiful day; the breeze is nice. I didn't go in the ocean since I'm trying to dry our my rash, even though the doctor said I could go swimming. Haha they robly gave me the shot just to make me feel better....except for my butt, it didn't feel better but I didn't give it a vote ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment