Sunday, November 18, 2012

This weekend the fair is here. We went last nite (we went during the day and there was nobody there ha ha). We saw the bull riding and it was VERY exciting. Some of the cablleros got thrown right away but a few rode those bulls, trying to do so with no hands, only grabbing on at the last second. A couple of times I was rooting for the bull. It was pretty cool to watch the process. First these guys run into the ring pulling this rope and attached to it is a bull. He, at some point decides not to be pulled, to run, and the first one looked like a fast motion movie- he wasn't galloping, more stiff legs going really fast...then they get him over to one side of the corral where there is a metal sheet on the side of the fence. As he lines up there, they swing another metal sheet across him and he's sandwiched in, kinda looks like a toaster to me... The cowboys do something with him, maybe get that strap around his belly that the rider can grab onto, not sure what else. Then the rider who is standing in the middle of the ring kneels down and makes the sign of the cross in the dirt and on himself. Praying for a good ride I guess, and maybe not to be gored by the bull's horns (which were pretty big on every one of them). Then he climbs the metal sheet and lowers himself onto the bull. I think at the exact moment his butt touches the bull, the release him cause he BURSTS out and starts kickin'!!

One toro was dirty white with black spots on his butt, look like a dalmatian dog.He was smaller than the rest and I decided I would root for him. He was a scrappy little sucker and threw his rider in less than 10 seconds; less than 5 seconds. It was cool.

Anyways after that we got some tacos from a stand and our feet were tapping to the music and I was getting ready for some dancing! But as we finished the band took a break and then this ridiculous beauty contest started. Except there was no judging, nobody one so I'm not sure what the point was. It was very unorganized, with 6 young women, and very quickly I found out saying young women was stretching it! They were 14! Ha ha asked their fantasies and the answers were..."famous model", "famous singer". etc . They each danced alone for about 30 seconds as the emmcee would say "music maestro" and then in 30 seconds make a slicing motion to stop the music. Then they changed into swim suits, walked around, and then it was over. 14? Give me a break. My husband said- hey in Mexico at 14 you are an adult...yeah I said that's why all these 16-18 yr olds have babies!

Ok not all Mexican girls have children so young but alot do, and I just didn't like the idea of 14 yr olds struttin' their stuff like that- but hey- in the US that have girls competing in beauty contests from about 3yrs ol, so I guess what I will say is I don't approve of it anywhere.

After that a new band came up and they were so loud and not the kind of dancing we wanted to do- it was more rapid staccato, and by then it was 11pm, so we went home. However- we are about to go back tonite, in a little while so I will report on that too. It was a fun time, lots of people and lots from neighboring towns. Food music, games and carnival rides- a good time was had by all! ok more later

No comments:

Post a Comment