Friday, December 28, 2012

OK, a giant bowl of ice cream followed by hot chocolate make for a tummy ache in the middle of the nite! Today I am pretty tired; slept crappy due to stomach ache. But it was a nice day anyway. My new sponsee came over for a chat and some step work, then 2 other ladies came over about an hour and a half after Pam. One now lives up in Tuscon (or Phoenix) and the other is becoming a friend here. She took us out to lunch at a little place I hadn't been and I had chicken enchiladas and they were yummy...and filling! Anyway the reason Anda came was I had asked her to take me to Sam's club cause she has a membership, and I heard there was a gold's Gym brand elliptical there. I have been online, and to the second hand stores and all the street flea markets and haven't found one I liked. Actually I like the one I left in Playa Ventura...

We added up how much we spent in cuotas (tolls) and gas coming up from Playa Ventura to Puerto Penasco and decided that Everardo's trip down there will either be by bus or plane, and I'm not sure when I'm going back, so we may trade the elliptical for pay to the guy who's watching the house for us- he really liked it when he saw it. The elliptical and the books I left were the only things I really want; and if he takes the bus he can bring books- if he flys he can ship them. So I'll give it up. But because of my foot problem, the elliptical works best for me. I can also ride my bike, but I know myself and I only want to ride my bike for pleasure.

So Anda said sure and came by a little after noon. She had a friend with her, Donna who is visiting for a week and used to live here. Sam's Club is basically Costco, and is wned by Wallmart. I didn't know this cause I never thought about Sam's Club before; we have a Costco card but don't like Costco in Mexico- their stuff is way more expensive here- and poor-er quality which I also think is bad...what do we send the "seconds" down here?..so anyway I don't shop in Mexico Costco. Well there isn't one here anyway, and I may come to think the same about Sam's Club. We walked around and the prices didn't look that great- except the chicken seemed like a good price, and they had cheddar cheese...only one type, one size- but ...ok. We ended up buying a membership card- it was $32 for both of us for a year. And we eat ALOT of chicken ha ha.

So we bought the elliptical and they are going to assemble it and deliver it tomorrow for free. Yipee, I am so so so so ready to get into an exercise routine. I think I'm happier about this than a car.

Oh and Everardo has- oops had these snow pants, like for skiing; they are almost like overalls. Anyway we for sure didn't need them in Playa Ventura ha ha and don't really need them here- it's not that cold...so he too them down to the docks this morning and traded them for 12 pounds of fresh shrimp!! What a deal eh? He's eating some beautiful cerviche right now, and later I will be eating them sauteed in garlic and butter...yeah pretty nice deal. And some fisherman is happy for the pants when they go out all nite on the boat.
You know there some construction guys working down the road, building what looks like an OXXO. (711). It's going up fast, and after how slowly I saw things getting built in Guerrero I commented on it. Poppi says oh they hire crews from somewhere else wh come in a do one project, then they move them to another place (town or state) to do the next project. So the workers are not even from here. I had said before- hey maybe you can get on with that construction crew since he has a construction background. But he said no- these guys are one crew who get paid really well and travel around Mexico working. The thought behind it is; if they hire locals, there's not alot of work and so they work slow to drag it out. They'd have to hire new crews every lace they go, weed out poor performers, etc. This way they know their crew, they pay them really well, and they just move them around. They pay thir room and board wherever they go Now I do not understand who "they" are; do companies contract or bid for jobs? Is it gov't run? (like the gas stations...no choices only Pemex)..so I don't know, I kinda get info about things in bits and pieces from people and then different pieces start to fit together ha ha...this includes info from Everardo! He doesn't always know either, but hears things, and we go from there.
He has mostly lived in the US for the past 30 plus years, with short stints here, I don't think as long as a year at any one time. He has lived up and down the Pacific coast, actually rode the freight trains and stayed different places and then moved on. But he was in Gilroy just south of San Francisco for about 16 years from a teenager until late 20's or early 30's, then became the vagabond. Trains, hitch hiking, walking, Calif, Oregon & Washington. When we met he had lived in my town previously, and had returned, been there about a year before we met. He laughs and says he knew me before I knew him; he first saw me when I was bald...going thru chemo...and he said, but you always had this posse of women around you. We became friends a few months later. Then some time after that when we both out of relationships; we went out for a coffee, and then....

So he came and met us at Sam's Club to take a look at the elliptical before we spent almost $400 on it. We have been laughing at ourselves; we keep making a budget and then blowing right thru it. But to retrieve the elliptical in Playa Ventura would be way more than $400, and we will sell that one (hopefully) to our caretaker...so we bought it....with the cheese of course ha ha. It would be nice for that house to sell down there, and when it starts getting busy down here in 3 months Poppi may find some work at the beach...but for now we are just playing it by ear...so tomorrow I start workin' off the ice cream and hot chocolate eh??



No comments:

Post a Comment