Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Another good day! Tuesday. Everardo got a call that a guy is interested in buying the Guerrero house! Again I hope I don't jinx it by writing about it, but I'm not saying it out loud so hopefully....anyway he told his friend to have the guy call us directly. And if he is interested, well I think we should give the new renters first right of refusal; meaning if they want to buy it when they hear someone else does, then it goes to them first. hmmmm altho' we could probly get more from door number 2. Oops greed, that would be our downfall. Oooh a bidding war- see how fast my pea brain mind gets out of hand!? Well anyway it's nice to have interest in that house. Just gotta wait and see. And at the very least, we have a renter.

So I went out to the center for my first class in 3 weeks. It was a little crazy; I had about 6 or 7 new students, at least 5 or 6 old ones who didn't show up, and everybody at different levels. So I decided to make 2 classes. At first I thought new people and existing people. But it became evident it needed to be different; beginners and not beginners- cause some of the new people had more English than some of my current students. Then I tried to make it morning class and afternoon class but neither group could all do either morning or afternoon, sooooooo...now I'm gonna teach Mon-Wed and Tue-Thur in the afternoon. I guess we'll just see how it goes. Ha ha guess I'm popular... now 2 of the new students, who have some English are in middle school and may not stay; the other 2 didn't last, I think we're older and talk & laugh about stuff they don't find entertaining...but there are cousins and the mom of one of them is also a new student, so she may make them stay. At the end of class another lady came in and said her 18 year old daughter will also come. Kinda cool kinda scary!
At least 2 students who were not in attendance night not be coming back and that's too bad- I really liked them- grandpa and grandaughter, but grandma is mad at the center and so they have not been coming even to eat or do any other activities; she was in the group learning to use the sowing machines. The guy's name is Rueben and he is very enthusiastic and funny and helps the others cause he knows some English, I will miss them very much. A couple of the others I expect on Thurs, and they will find out they have been changed to Mon-Wed cause they are past beginner.

Notice I don't say intermediate or advanced....well if they were advanced they wouldn't bother with my class ha ha, but for theses students, beginner is don't know any words at all, and then not beginner is anything more than that ha ha! We are learning lots of words, a few verbs, and small sentences. I need to work on more verbs and sentences. So I gotta figure out 2 levels, well not really cause the beginners I will just restart with the stuff I used before; flashcards, objects, colors, etc. Ok here we go again.

Ok- then I went to the new Spanish class. Yippee I think it will be great! The class had alot of interaction and I liked that. We finished a video story they were already working on, and I liked her style of pausing it, talking, or quick explanations during. We played a game to win points by answering questions, and I learned a couple of things that for me, were important. So I really enjoyed it. The teacher, Laurie, is coming out to the center on Thurs for our first class with Karen and Mark, and seems pretty open to finding a second day that works for everybody. Did I say Yippee? Oh and 50 pesos a class for an hour and a half...man that beats 100 pesos an hour! I might even go to the class I went to tonite, and the 2 classes I'll do with Karen and Mark. 150 pesos is still less than one class with the old teacher....Everardo said fine with him, he thinks I'm learning fast, but I still doubt myself with comprehension of conversation...

 Tomorrow we get our screen door made and just in the nick of time...I came back to Mexico and it is soooo hot! The evening cools off a tiny bit and so the screen will be great. I think we may be getting our new mattress this week as well, so things just keep lookin' up. We are sleeping on a bed that was here, and I covered it with 2 blankets and never want to look at the mattress which has a stain that invites me to make up murder stories when I go to bed so I try not to think about it. With a brand new mattress I can go back to using a sheet, we're just sleeping on top now anyway..and so far (keep fingers crossed) we have not been inundated by biting insects like in Playa Ventura, where we had to keep the sheet on us and any exposed skin always had big welts by morning. We just spent so so so much money in those months down there that the fact that there was already a bed here, well we simply just put it off...but now we gotta buy one. Of course if and when we ever leave Mexico, we can't take it with us ha ha, I thought we could and Everardo said, oh please! At the border?? Do you know how much could be hidden in a mattress? By the time they were done tearing it apart and not finding anything....it would be worthless....but we can give it to friends...

Ok better look at what I'll bring to class tomorrow- wait is it the beginners or the not? Oh yeah..the not. Ahhh so practice the song! Viva!

No comments:

Post a Comment