Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Free zumba in the park

Free zumba in the park- Monday thru Friday. And now I find out that it's also free at 2 other parks here. How cool is that? I was reading info about Ensenada this weekend, and saw a forum post saying oh everyone come to zumba- it's starting up again and it's only $300 U.S. a month!! $300 a month! Not pesos, dollars! And here it's free in at least 3 parks, 5 nites a week. And I don't know if they have it any other time of day, although with the weather here, unless it was very early in the morning I doubt it's at any other time.

It is kicking my butt. I forgot that the second day after no exercising for 2 weeks is MUCH more painful than the first. I thought I was gonna collapse tonite. I am deader than dead. An when it was almost over, I hear some woman yelling out she wants the cancion (song) that "she" likes. I turn around and she's pointing to me- no no not that song at the end! It's a tough one, kicking the entire song with this drum beat boom boom boom. Ha ha I was barely breathing. But I tell you there's got to be 30-35 women out there now, and when I left 2 weeks ago we were at about 20. When this teacher started coming consistently there were about 8 or 10 of us. I am still the only American or English speaker, and I still stand up in front or the second row. I do that so I can see what she's doing...but man yesterday & today I was huffin and puffin. Give me thru next week and I'll be back up to pushing hard thru the whole class.

I bought a hula hoop this weekend while the girls were here, actually they found it in a store I didn't go in while they were buying inflatable inner tubes for the beach. My daughter took pictures and posted on facebook me, in a long tie dye shirt (over my swimsuit) in a parking lot trying to hula hoop. Hmmm could I ever do it? Well I can't now. I bought it to try and get the hip shaking, butt rolling moves they do in zumba to some songs. I mean, we wear a scarf around our hips with the little plstic sequin things that make noise when you "shake it". But it's like belly dancing! And our teacher- man she can shake it!

But you know, free zumba in the park at nite, it's such a cool thing to do. I don't know who's sponsoring it, I thought the city, but maybe I'll try to find out who. I see a couple of other zumba classes for money advertised, and we have a newspaper online called Rocky Point Times and another site call Rocky Point 360 that talks about everything that's happening around town, but I haven't seen this mentioned. Like I said, I'm the only American out there. I thought of sending something to both sites, but maybe I shouldn't, maybe it would get too big. The class is growing fast enough on it's own. And next week I'm gonna try the other place where my teacher teaches after our class, but will soon be teaching there only. If it turns out to be at 7:30 pm, that will be great! And I'll see if I'm the only English speaker there as well. Stay tuned- let you know!

My lower back, shoulders, calves, ok everything is aching right now, I just took an ibuprofin, luckily they sell the 800mil over the counter here- in the U.S. I think 200 is the highest you can get without a prescription, but everybody just takes more....I did sleep better last nite and hoping for the same tonite.

I also confirmed starting Spanish Sept 16 with 2 other students just about 2 streets over from us. And something kinda interesting; I noticed that both yesterday and today I was better with Rosetta Stone, I mean I could really hear and understand better, so maybe taking a 2 week break from that was a good thing. I'm on level 5, which I think is the last level. Probably when I'm done I'll go back and do pieces from all the levels for review... it's a pretty cool program, I like how it works. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a language learning program, but like all programs, or all new languages, you gotta practice practice practice, all the time, every day.

Ok back to the exercise, I think there must have been 300 people just on the track tonite, then a soccer game in the middle, people watching that, and the peewee games at the far end. In Mexico people congregate, people get together, for celebrations, for fun, for nothing, and for exercise...and on the way home I see people all sitting outside their houses, chatting with friends and neighbors, and it feels comfortable. I like it. Viva

Mexico fun fact:

Mexico City is built over the ruins of a great Aztec city, Tenochtitlán. Because it is built on a lake, Mexico is sinking at a rate of 6 to 8 inches a year as pumps draw water out for the city’s growing population.

No comments:

Post a Comment