Friday, August 23, 2013

Perception

The heat is killing me. When the slightest breeze comes up I thank the heavens. I never said "Thank God for the wind" before living in Mexico. It's hot all day and all nite. And yes, in Playa Ventura is was the same, all year round, but somehow- it's different.

I think maybe it's different because here I have to interact with people, with traffic, with gates, with stores, did I mention with people? The sand, the dirt that's always in the house, in my hair, in the air...the floor always sounds scratchy when you walk on it with shoes (usually flip flops unless were heading out to work out...), well of course that's not just wind, it's doggy feet. In Playa Ventura I was hot, sweaty wet all day long, but there were no people, so I sweat in the hammock until I couldn't stand it and then walked down to the beach. Here the beach is a card ride. Down there even a trip to the store meant the next town so with the ac running you got to cool off. But I could basically wear almost the same thing every day, well alternating tank tops cause I was always walking into the ocean whether I had a swimsuit on or not....I never bothered with makeup and I cut my hair short. It didn't matter that I couldn't sleep at nite cause it was so hot, cause I always took naps during the day...and there was always at least a small breeze coming from the ocean, a little water in the air...

Here is like real life ha ha!! There are people everywhere, and I actually have commitments, not huge ones, and except for teaching English, the commitments are to myself; aa meetings, zumba, Spanish class. And I don't go to the beach every day either. We go at least once a week, but that's alot less than couple a times a day. After we work out we usually stop at the house and get the doggys and take them for a ride- sort of a big circle- out a ways and then come around down by the beach...sometimes he gets out and walks down to the beach for Sam to take a quick run...Lucky tries to keep up- since I got new shoes for zumba I stay in the car for this part, it's only about 10 minutes, and we don't always stop, just when they haven't been out all day.

Tonite after zumba, and Poppi jogging, we grabbed the dogs and went for our ride. We were both really hot and sweating so Everardo stopped at an OXXO to get us some cold water. As he came out a guy was walking up with a basket of something. I saw him only out of the corner of my eye, cause I was watching this young dad trying to get his kids to look at the really big dog (Sam) and the tiny tiny dog (Lucky) sitting in the back of the truck...the kids were laughy scared and wouldn't come close. People are always very impressed with Sam and stop to look at him. So in the basket were these plastic bags with this bread that had pineapple in the middle. Sort of like a turnover, and they were 4 for 20 pesos....so Everardo bought some and some other people getting into their cars did as well. People sell everything here!

I was noticing in the window of the Oxxo that at the back wall they had a shelf marked "frutas & verduras" (fruits and vegetables) and had bananas, apples, some zuchini, tomatos- it cracked me up cause the day before I noticed they carry hard liquor. This Oxxo is basically 7-11 in the united states. But they have everything!

It's midnite and still really hot so I'm putting off going to bed. Everardo is running a drill anyway that's twisting copper wire together so he can make something. The other day he made a couple of lizards- really cute with colored beads for eyes. I'm using a new-new to me- so used-laptop we had to buy today. Yesterday a power surge blew my motherboard. We still want to fix it, but at this moment it looks like I have to buy a motherboard in China and ship it to the my friend in Tuscon, then they'll bring it down...yeah today was fun going back and forth between 2 computer places to see what each thought, then making a decision- which now of course I'm doubting- I coulda just shared his laptop...but no- this laptop was $300 and came with Windows 7, Microsoft office 2013, virus programs, and he got everything off my hard drive- except Rosetta Stone, so it was a good deal. It's a Dell which I like, it's about a year old. Well I found a motherboard for $118 new and free shipping so I'll proby order it tomorrow.

Yeah so I called my friend to re-borrow Rosetta Stone cause they left tonite on a 3 week vacation. She graciously brought to work with her this morning and I went over and picked it up. Unfortunately for me I didn't try to install it until tonite, and guess what- the password (activation code) is on a little card, and it's not in the box!!! aaarrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!! So tomorrow I'm gonna go back to the computer place with my broken laptop cause he could see it on the hard drive; he actually said it showed the password- so now I want it. When it's hot, the frustrating stuff is SO much more frustrating.

And it's quiet out during the day here now. People are staying indoors cause it's just too hot. Once the sun goes down they start coming out. One more month I keep hearing....but man I am a crabby bitch in the heat!
I never used to drink cold water from the fridge, I liked room temperature. Now we keep a huge pitcher in the fridge and ice cubes up top. This started in Playa Ventura- unless it's really cold it just doesn't quench your thirst. There's all these guys who push carts or have carts connected to a bicycle filled with popsicles- I bet they're getting rich right now. People who live here who have any money are gone on vacation in search of cooler weather. But most people who live here- well on this side of town, well we're all here suffering together! As Poppi says...suffering in paradise. The park in shade is just so hot. Sam doesn't want to chase the ball, but it's still nice to roll in the grass.

Well I almost said no fun fact tonite, but I just found that website real quick, so I hope this isn't a repeat..
Mexico City has the highest elevation and is oldest city in North America. It is also one of the largest cities in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment